The Student Room Group

Meeting my Chinese boyfriend's parents

I'm white, British and going to study the university of Salford next year (September 2016) I'm 18 years old and my boyfriend is an international student, he is Chinese and has lived in the UK for nearly 2 years (I've known him for 3 years) he is 20 years old and we are each other's first boyfriend and girlfriend. We have been in a relationship for nearly 9 months now and things are still great!

Next year, his parents might be coming to the UK. They know about me and are very excited as they have never met me in person and only I have spoke to them for a few minutes via QQ video call (QQ Is the like a Chinese substitute for Facebook)

I am very nervous, I know there are a lot of cultural differences between Chinese and English but that has never been an issue for us.

Is meeting his parents an important thing in China? Does it have a bigger meaning than just a casual meeting? I'm not about to ask him because I worry asking him will make him stressed if it is an important thing. Please may you help me? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm half-Japanese who has had some experience meeting families of my Chinese friends. Even I managed to get along really well with the families, and that was with the huge tensions between Chinese and Japanese people.

Don't worry at all, Chinese prefer an informal, chatty atmosphere. In fact, being overly polite is considered rude since it makes you look icy and superior. The Chinese are super forgiving and since they know you aren't familiar with their culture, they'll welcome you without a problem. Feel free to talk about China, but stay away from politics and society. Asking/talking about the grand history of China always made my families light up. Even asking them to teach you some Chinese is fun and will make a lot of laughter.

To be on the very safe side, perhaps get them a little gift. It's a common custom in China for pretty much anything, and the gift doesn't need to be special at all. A tip would be to present it with two hands, and receive any gifts you might get with two hands as well.
Original post by JemAllen9
I'm white, British and going to study the university of Salford next year (September 2016) I'm 18 years old and my boyfriend is an international student, he is Chinese and has lived in the UK for nearly 2 years (I've known him for 3 years) he is 20 years old and we are each other's first boyfriend and girlfriend. We have been in a relationship for nearly 9 months now and things are still great!

Next year, his parents might be coming to the UK. They know about me and are very excited as they have never met me in person and only I have spoke to them for a few minutes via QQ video call (QQ Is the like a Chinese substitute for Facebook)

I am very nervous, I know there are a lot of cultural differences between Chinese and English but that has never been an issue for us.

Is meeting his parents an important thing in China? Does it have a bigger meaning than just a casual meeting? I'm not about to ask him because I worry asking him will make him stressed if it is an important thing. Please may you help me? Thank you.

Requirements:

1) Study at Oxbridge/Imperial/Warwick/Durham/LSE/UCL
2) Be a doctor/laywer/engineer.

^ Good luck !
Reply 3
Respect to this Chinese guy for snapping up a white British girlfriend without any problems. I always thought white girls avoided Asian guys like the plague. I'm British Asian and it's happened to me more times than I care to remember, so I'm impressed that an international student has managed to do it.
Original post by serebro
I'm half-Japanese who has had some experience meeting families of my Chinese friends. Even I managed to get along really well with the families, and that was with the huge tensions between Chinese and Japanese people.

Don't worry at all, Chinese prefer an informal, chatty atmosphere. In fact, being overly polite is considered rude since it makes you look icy and superior. The Chinese are super forgiving and since they know you aren't familiar with their culture, they'll welcome you without a problem. Feel free to talk about China, but stay away from politics and society. Asking/talking about the grand history of China always made my families light up. Even asking them to teach you some Chinese is fun and will make a lot of laughter.

To be on the very safe side, perhaps get them a little gift. It's a common custom in China for pretty much anything, and the gift doesn't need to be special at all. A tip would be to present it with two hands, and receive any gifts you might get with two hands as well.

daym hot mix.
Original post by Anonymous

Requirements:
1) Study at Oxbridge/Imperial/Warwick/Durham/LSE/UCL
2) Be a doctor/laywer/engineer.

^ Good luck !

That's for the boyfriend of an asian girl, not the other way around! Silly Anonymous user. :')
Reply 7
In all seriousness, don't worry about it. It's not necessarily a bigger deal than it would be for us here. It can be, but it depends on the parents. If they have expressed excitement about meeting you, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Just be yourself, be polite and it'll be fine!
Reply 8
Original post by asif007
Respect to this Chinese guy for snapping up a white British girlfriend without any problems. I always thought white girls avoided Asian guys like the plague. I'm British Asian and it's happened to me more times than I care to remember, so I'm impressed that an international student has managed to do it.

Well we haven't seen her yet :P
Reply 9
I'm Chinese and I would say that mainlanders tend to be fairly judgemental. I suggest making sure you understand at least the basics of the Chinese culture.
Do not ever meet and greet them empty-handedly. Like the other person said, always have a small gift for them and present it with both hands as a sign of respect. If you go for dinner, make sure they sit at the heads of the table. Don't address them using their first names unless they tell you you can
Reply 10
I know you don't want to stress him out but I think it's important to have a chat with him about it bc he knows his parents more than anyone on tsr does. Just plan what to ask him and approach it lightly and casually, as if you've thought of everything on the spot so he doesn't think you've been worrying about it
Reply 11
Original post by asif007

I met him in China and after about two years of knowing him I asked him on a date and we started our relationship from there. I don't see why people would avoid that type of relationship, granted he is my first every boyfriend but I'm very happy with him. It's the same with him too, first girlfriend and he is happy
Reply 12
Original post by skwonc
I'm Chinese and I would say that mainlanders tend to be fairly judgemental. I suggest making sure you understand at least the basics of the Chinese culture.
Do not ever meet and greet them empty-handedly. Like the other person said, always have a small gift for them and present it with both hands as a sign of respect. If you go for dinner, make sure they sit at the heads of the table. Don't address them using their first names unless they tell you you can

I have been interested in Chinese language and culture since I was 7, I am aware of the basics such as greetings gifts and ways of addressing them. I even introduced myself to them in Mandarin using the respectful term "您好"
And him and I are going halves on taking them to dinner, I'm just scared that my nerves will get the better or they expect a lot of me
Reply 13
If you go for dinner, eat everything, my brother in law got extra brownie points for wolfing down everything at dinner when my sister brought him home.

Oranges and satsumas and popular gifts when visiting someone because their colour is similar to gold and a sign of prosperity.
Reply 14
Original post by Maker
If you go for dinner, eat everything, my brother in law got extra brownie points for wolfing down everything at dinner when my sister brought him home.

Oranges and satsumas and popular gifts when visiting someone because their colour is similar to gold and a sign of prosperity.

I don't think me (the girl) would really give a good impression if I ate everything, I can't do that anyway due to an eating issue I recently got over I struggle finishing average meals.

Also, I read that in China you always leave s little food otherwise it is rude because the person cooking didn't provide enough food to satisfy you
Reply 15
I don't think me (the girl) would really give a good impression if I ate everything, I can't do that anyway due to an eating issue I recently got over I struggle finishing average meals.

Also, I read that in China you always leave s little food otherwise it is rude because the person cooking didn't provide enough food to satisfy you

Sorry to hear about your eating issues.

My mother always cooks loads when we visit so running out of food is very unlikely.
(edited 8 years ago)
I met him in China and after about two years of knowing him I asked him on a date and we started our relationship from there. I don't see why people would avoid that type of relationship, granted he is my first every boyfriend but I'm very happy with him. It's the same with him too, first girlfriend and he is happy

Well this just seems like the complete opposite to all my impressions and experiences of relationships. No girl, especially not a white British girl, would go to a country like India, Pakistan or Bangladesh, meet a man and start a relationship with him. So it really surprises me that you met your bf in China. AND you asked him out on a date? That's actually shocking, I've never ever heard of a girl asking a guy out before.
Reply 17
Original post by asif007
Well this just seems like the complete opposite to all my impressions and experiences of relationships. No girl, especially not a white British girl, would go to a country like India, Pakistan or Bangladesh, meet a man and start a relationship with him. So it really surprises me that you met your bf in China. AND you asked him out on a date? That's actually shocking, I've never ever heard of a girl asking a guy out before.

I was on a college trip to China and met him during my stay, we stayed in contact afterwards and he came to the UK to start studying his degree. We met up a few times and skyped a lot, I would help his English and we would laugh a lot it was very transfer it felt different with him.

I realised I liked him and wanted him to be my boyfriend, but I have never had a boyfriend and had no idea if he liked me back. I feared being rejected so I left it, street a few months we got even closer and I liked him even more than before I thought about how he acts towards me, and if he feels nervous asking me as well.

Eventually I saw no point in waiting and guessing, I wanted to know. So I asked him on a date, he actually had plans to take me on a date the next time we met up and wanted to surprise me. We have been dating ever since
Reply 18
Original post by asif007

She's not the only one I asked my boyfriend out on our first date. He was flabbergasted to say the least! I always asked guys out on dates when I'm single it's scary af but better than sitting around looking pretty. Life's too short!
Reply 19
Hi there, even though I'm not a Chinese, but as being from a neighbor country with China, we have the quite similar culture, so I would say that it should be a good chance for you and his parents to meet up, getting to know each other, and I think that MANY East Asian parents consider this important, I say MANY not ALL, it also depends on their thoughts. Each family has a different context, stories...some are easy going, some are open-minded, some are a bit traditional, but I think they always want the best things for their children.
So what I suggest is that you can ask him a little bit about his parents, their thoughts, they ways they think about some stuffs you thinks you might talk about.....Trust me, it doesn't make anything bad if you talk to him.
And also, I'm quite glad to know about British girls dating/interested in Asian guys/cultures, as from my experience Brit/Scot/Irish gals are not interested in us.Hope you guys are happy with each other and study/work well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending