The Student Room Group

Can i send my UCAS application during the Christmas break?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don'tworryME
I was ready to send it off 4 days ago, but my lazy tutors wrote my reference only now. I didn't know that i can't send my application off during the Christmas break.

You obviously didn't understand what I meant. DECEMBER is already quite late in the day.
Original post by jelly1000
Suprisingly most unis don't mind. And I'm not sure where you got the idea from that Kent don't make offers until the 15th January- I just looked in the Kent forum and people are already getting offers there too.[/QUOT

I know someone from my class told me that Kent makes offers later. I studied AS levels but didn't like them, so i changed to BTEC. I find it much easier than my AS levels although i know there is a lot of negativity centered around them. I am doing the BTEC in Computing. Do you know how UEA views them?
Original post by ivybridge
You obviously didn't understand what I meant. DECEMBER is already quite late in the day.

Well, my PDC obviously was not very informative and correct. I should have done more research lol but whatever.
Don't panic.

If your college can complete everything, and send it to UCAS before 15 January, you will get the same consideration as anyone applying before Christmas.

Don't send it without a reference - it annoys Universities, wastes time and looks suspicious.

Retakes - unless a Uni says it won't accept retakes for your subject (usually only highly competitive stuff like Medicine and Law) then its not an issue, and you will be assessed on your retake grades/predictions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, but there will be much less spaces left in January.

We are talking OFFERS not places. Unis gradually read applications and assess on that basis, ranking applicants as they go and making offers gradually as more applications come in. They do not make their final offers until well after 15 January and therefore a good application will still get an offer.

No course will be 'full' this stage or have 'run out of offers'. If its a sensible application that meets all requirements you have exactly the same chance of an offer as anyone who applied in October.
Original post by returnmigrant
We are talking OFFERS not places. Unis gradually read applications and assess on that basis, ranking applicants as they go and making offers gradually as more applications come in. They do not make their final offers until well after 15 January and therefore a good application will still get an offer.

No course will be 'full' this stage or have 'run out of offers'. If its a sensible application that meets all requirements you have exactly the same chance of an offer as anyone who applied in October.

What happens if you are predicted one grade below let's say?
What happens if you are predicted one grade below let's say?

Depends on the University and on the course you are applying for. If it's a not particularly competitive course then often Unis will make what is called an 'aspirational offer' but it will be for the grades they want not the grades you are predicted so if you actually think there is no chance of you getting those grades in August, its a waste of a choice. If the course requires an A* or AAA, then forget 'aspirational offers' - they will not be interested in considering anyone below this.

Lots more advice on this sort of issue in 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends on the University and on the course you are applying for. If it's a not particularly competitive course then often Unis will make what is called an 'aspirational offer' but it will be for the grades they want not the grades you are predicted so if you actually think there is no chance of you getting those grades in August, its a waste of a choice. If the course requires an A* or AAA, then forget 'aspirational offers' - they will not be interested in considering anyone below this.

Lots more advice on this sort of issue in 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections

Does it work the same with BTEC and other qualifications?
Does it work the same with BTEC and other qualifications?

It can do - but again it depends on the course/Uni, and since BTEC grade ranges are wide, sometimes an A level grade slip doesn't actually equate to the same in a BTEC.
Reply 29
Don't panic.

If your college can complete everything, and send it to UCAS before 15 January, you will get the same consideration as anyone applying before Christmas.

Don't send it without a reference - it annoys Universities, wastes time and looks suspicious.

Retakes - unless a Uni says it won't accept retakes for your subject (usually only highly competitive stuff like Medicine and Law) then its not an issue, and you will be assessed on your retake grades/predictions.

how do you send it without a reference 0_0
i'm trying to apply during christmas too so if i click send would it go to my referee or would it go straight to the uni ._.?
Original post by z33
how do you send it without a reference 0_0
i'm trying to apply during christmas too so if i click send would it go to my referee or would it go straight to the uni ._.?

There is an option for 'I have agreed with the University that I may submit without a reference' - and that is WHY it annoys Universities, because you clearly have not agreed anything of the sort, you have just left everything to the last minute or are simply being incredibly lazy.

You have until 15 January to submit your application properly - which will impress any Uni far more than something sent off half-done. If you actually want an Offer then do NOT send off your UCAS application without a reference!
Reply 31
There is an option for 'I have agreed with the University that I may submit without a reference' - and that is WHY it annoys Universities, because you clearly have not agreed anything of the sort, you have just left everything to the last minute or are simply being incredibly lazy.

You have until 15 January to submit your application properly - which will impress any Uni far more than something sent off half-done. If you actually want an Offer then do NOT send off your UCAS application without a reference!

ohhh right

okay i hope my teachers dont kill me when i get back :colondollar:
"Your application has been sent to your school or college. They will check and approve your application, write and approve their reference, and send the completed application to us. We will then process the application and send you a welcome letter and a booklet in the post; they will explain what happens next. The current status of your application is:

Your application has not yet been approved by your referee/coordinator.
18-12-2015 (10:43) Your reference has been completed and is waiting for approval."

This is all i see on UCAS. Is it fine?

That should mean that you've done everything on your part and when the school has approved your application, it will automatically go to UCAS. This means that the application has not gone to UCAS yet. As long as your school approves the application before 15th January it's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending