The Student Room Group

I don't like parties, clubs or anything my friends do

Hey

So I have this group of about 10 friends that I really like. I hang out with them quite often. I'm in love with one girl from the group. I told her, she rejected me. Anyway I still wanted to hang out with them. But things aren't really the same anymore. I just don't have fun anymore with them. I realised that everything I did, it was for her. Now that I know that I'll never be with her, there is no point in doing anything. I don't speak much anymore, I don't laugh anymore, I don't even drink anymore.

I have to drive to go back home (about 30 min) so usually I would get drunk and just sleep at her place. It wasn't really comfortable but I didn't mind because I knew I would see her in the night and then again in the morning and I hoped that maybe something would happen. No point anymore either, so now I never agree to stay anymore and decide not to drink too much to be able to drive. Damn, it's so boring when everone's drunk and you're not.

They don't do anything fun, they stay the whole night at some place, drink a lot, some of them smoke (cigs and other things) and do nothing else. When they decide to go somewhere, it's to a night club. I hate clubs. The music meh, everything is overpriced, I don't want to meet anyone from there and I can't anyway, no point in danci... I mean moving.

I like them very much, they're nice people but they just do things that I find so boring. Everyone seems to enjoy doing that though. With people at uni it was the same. Well it was a bit better cause sometimes we would go to a bar, play bowling and pool, etc. Am I different? Not normal? If you like doing that, what's so great about it? I just don't fit in.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey

So I have this group of about 10 friends that I really like. I hang out with them quite often. I'm in love with one girl from the group. I told her, she rejected me. Anyway I still wanted to hang out with them. But things aren't really the same anymore. I just don't have fun anymore with them. I realised that everything I did, it was for her. Now that I know that I'll never be with her, there is no point in doing anything. I don't speak much anymore, I don't laugh anymore, I don't even drink anymore.

I have to drive to go back home (about 30 min) so usually I would get drunk and just sleep at her place. It wasn't really comfortable but I didn't mind because I knew I would see her in the night and then again in the morning and I hoped that maybe something would happen. No point anymore either, so now I never agree to stay anymore and decide not to drink too much to be able to drive. Damn, it's so boring when everone's drunk and you're not.

They don't do anything fun, they stay the whole night at some place, drink a lot, some of them smoke (cigs and other things) and do nothing else. When they decide to go somewhere, it's to a night club. I hate clubs. The music meh, everything is overpriced, I don't want to meet anyone from there and I can't anyway, no point in danci... I mean moving.

I like them very much, they're nice people but they just do things that I find so boring. Everyone seems to enjoy doing that though. With people at uni it was the same. Well it was a bit better cause sometimes we would go to a bar, play bowling and pool, etc. Am I different? Not normal? If you like doing that, what's so great about it? I just don't fit in.

Hi dude, sorry to hear about your experiences, it's nothing strange, lots of people don't like clubbing as well, they prefer pub, bar, some drinks or other activities....Remember that you don't always have to follow the crowd, even though human tend to do that

I would suggest that you can sometimes go with them, when you feel you wanna go or wanna have some new feelings, just to make them know that you are still interested in playing with them. Don't force yourself to do things you don't like just because MANY people do it, the number of people who don't is much more bigger, are they strangers or left behind? No.
Reply 2
Original post by Dan.N
Hi dude, sorry to hear about your experiences, it's nothing strange, lots of people don't like clubbing as well, they prefer pub, bar, some drinks or other activities....Remember that you don't always have to follow the crowd, even though human tend to do that

I would suggest that you can sometimes go with them, when you feel you wanna go or wanna have some new feelings, just to make them know that you are still interested in playing with them. Don't force yourself to do things you don't like just because MANY people do it, the number of people who don't is much more bigger, are they strangers or left behind? No.

Thank you for your answer :smile:

That's good to know, thanks. Yes I don't want to say no because I think they'll stop inviting me if I do that. I don't have many other friends (and I tend to feel lonely every now and then) so I would like to keep those ones but to be honest when I'm with them I often wish I could be somewhere else.
Reply 3
Thank you for your answer :smile:

That's good to know, thanks. Yes I don't want to say no because I think they'll stop inviting me if I do that. I don't have many other friends (and I tend to feel lonely every now and then) so I would like to keep those ones but to be honest when I'm with them I often wish I could be somewhere else.

I totally understand your point mate, the thing is that you should make more friends, so you can improve your social relationships, it's not just about playing but it's for future purposes. Right, you still interested in your friends, so get a long with them, I know you don't wanna say no as they might not invite you to join them in future, so you may suggest your idea, tell them about some places you find interesting.

It's true that you don't like it, but sometimes you still have to do sth you don't like if its benefits are more than not doing it, right? I know your struggling with this, but only you can help yourself, speak out your opinion, just don't make them feel being offended or anything like that...
You don't say how you know these friends. Are you at uni? If so I'd suggest getting involved in some social societies there, like the hiking society or sailing - you get the idea. In the meantime keep hanging out with your friends but actively look for new ways to make friends. If you're not in uni then joining a sports club or even volunteering is a way to at least be around different people. I know that isn't weekend socializing but it is a way to interact w/ new people.
I know this situation is hurtful, frustrating and you feel lonely even when your with a crowd. It will probably take some effort on your part but you can meet new people - you may have to be the person to issue the social invitation to new people you meet but I promise you your not alone in the way you feel so it is just a matter of putting yourself out there (again) and put yourself in a situation to meet new people. Also, even if the socializing aspect of meeting new people doesn't come easily the volunteering or joining a sports club (for example) just gets you in a new environment that feels fresh and will hopefully lighten you mood and you won't be so unhappy when you do go out with your friends. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by hopeforthebest1
You don't say how you know these friends. Are you at uni? If so I'd suggest getting involved in some social societies there, like the hiking society or sailing - you get the idea. In the meantime keep hanging out with your friends but actively look for new ways to make friends. If you're not in uni then joining a sports club or even volunteering is a way to at least be around different people. I know that isn't weekend socializing but it is a way to interact w/ new people.
I know this situation is hurtful, frustrating and you feel lonely even when your with a crowd. It will probably take some effort on your part but you can meet new people - you may have to be the person to issue the social invitation to new people you meet but I promise you your not alone in the way you feel so it is just a matter of putting yourself out there (again) and put yourself in a situation to meet new people. Also, even if the socializing aspect of meeting new people doesn't come easily the volunteering or joining a sports club (for example) just gets you in a new environment that feels fresh and will hopefully lighten you mood and you won't be so unhappy when you do go out with your friends. Good luck!

Thank you very much :smile:

Basically I met a girl thanks to a friend we had in common (he was my best friend at the time). That's the girl I'm in love with. We became friends, I met all her best friends. They became mine too. I'm glad I met her because they're pretty much all I have at the moment, even though I haven't really been having fun with them lately.

I was at uni, I graduated in May. I had friends there but I live far away from the uni so from them too and I don't see them anymore.

I already play tennis and football. I have 'friends' there but they're just tennis friends and football friends. One of my problems is that when I get a friend from something, I keep doing that thing with them but we don't do anything else.
Reply 6
Original post by Dan.N
I totally understand your point mate, the thing is that you should make more friends, so you can improve your social relationships, it's not just about playing but it's for future purposes. Right, you still interested in your friends, so get a long with them, I know you don't wanna say no as they might not invite you to join them in future, so you may suggest your idea, tell them about some places you find interesting.

It's true that you don't like it, but sometimes you still have to do sth you don't like if its benefits are more than not doing it, right? I know your struggling with this, but only you can help yourself, speak out your opinion, just don't make them feel being offended or anything like that...

Thanks again mate

It's true, I wouldn't mind finding other friends (without abandoning the few I have!). I suggest things sometimes, I ask them to go out and do something but there is always someone to say that they don't have any money so we end up... seeing each other but we do nothing. What is annoying is that they have money to buy alcohol and go to clubs.

I guess you're right or the rest :smile:
Hey

have a new perspective on going out and having fun. live for the moment!
I suggest you find a new group bro. Perhaps a more productive bunch lool
Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4rRuff0Fo I went last year and made some friends for life. I don't drink much but there was loads to do, aquapark, gokarting, swimming, football on the beach plus there is dance lessons too lool so you can learn how to dance :smile:
Reply 8
have a new perspective on going out and having fun. live for the moment!
I suggest you find a new group bro. Perhaps a more productive bunch lool
Check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-4rRuff0Fo I went last year and made some friends for life. I don't drink much but there was loads to do, aquapark, gokarting, swimming, football on the beach plus there is dance lessons too lool so you can learn how to dance :smile:

Thanks, I'll think about that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending