The Student Room Group

Realised that I have no social life :(

I talk to people in school ,and I am not shy. I also treat others in the way that I would like to be treated so it isnt a case of me being a bad person.

However, I have no close friends i literally dont talk to anyone on whatsapp,fb,snapchat and noone talks to me. If you put me somewhere with someone we would get along and I would create intresting, and funny conversation. I am not even socially awkward.

I don't get invited to any partys or outings. But i dont really care so ohwell.

Is this normal? I dont think so. How ****ed am i gonna be when it comes to uni?

Scroll to see replies

No big problem, every uni fresher would be in the same position since it's very unlikely that their friends from sixth form would manage to get into the same uni let alone course. As long as you make your best effort to participate socially, you will make friends. :smile:
You need to pray more. Pray for your soul. You need to find yourself a good husband to serve and produce offspring. Do not fear, your life will become complete. Only heathens go to university.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
No big problem, every uni fresher would be in the same position since it's very unlikely that their friends from sixth form would manage to get into the same uni let alone course. As long as you make your best effort to participate socially, you will make friends. :smile:

i see. But it feels so bad that I have no social life :angry:
Original post by shawn_o1

Please don't encourage the lad to make light of God's hate,which is eternal damnation.Urge him to obey & seek mercy.
Reply 5
Original post by Thermodynamite
You need to pray more. Pray for your soul. You need to find yourself a good husband to serve and produce offspring. Do not fear, your life will become complete. Only heathens go to university.

I am a straight male
Original post by Anonymous
I talk to people in school ,and I am not shy. I also treat others in the way that I would like to be treated so it isnt a case of me being a bad person.

However, I have no close friends i literally dont talk to anyone on whatsapp,fb,snapchat and noone talks to me. If you put me somewhere with someone we would get along and I would create intresting, and funny conversation. I am not even socially awkward.

If you're not socially awkward then perhaps you need to make more of an effort. Instead of waiting for people to message you or waiting for people to invite you out, maybe you should initiate. You seem like a nice guy so I don't see why people would shun you if you did this.

Uni will be fine. No-one will know anyone, everyone is in the same boat so it's a great chance to start afresh and make friends :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by connieiscrazy
If you're not socially awkward then perhaps you need to make more of an effort. Instead of waiting for people to message you or waiting for people to invite you out, maybe you should initiate. You seem like a nice guy so I don't see why people would shun you if you did this.

Uni will be fine. No-one will know anyone, everyone is in the same boat so it's a great chance to start afresh and make friends :smile:

Its difficult whenever i do try and make an effort i only get as far as how are you or what you up 2

Also in my 6th form.everyone just stays with their existing squads
Attachment not found
I am a straight male
No one on tsr has a social life
Original post by Thermodynamite

please don't bring religion into this...
Reply 11

You were like me. Uni changed me though. I made a change to my attitude and even though I'm still shy, I have more confidence and friends at uni
Original post by UWS
You were like me. Uni changed me though. I made a change to my attitude and even though I'm still shy, I have more confidence and friends at uni

Honestly, I think im gonna end up being the same ,because uni seems like nightclubs and partys. I dont like that packed environment of music and alcohol . I like a nice social event where you can speak to others or sports or video games. Im guessing those will be at uni
Reply 13
Honestly, I think im gonna end up being the same ,because uni seems like nightclubs and partys. I dont like that packed environment of music and alcohol . I like a nice social event where you can speak to others or sports or video games. Im guessing those will be at uni

Join societies. That's the best place to meet people outside of your course.
Its difficult whenever i do try and make an effort i only get as far as how are you or what you up 2

Also in my 6th form.everyone just stays with their existing squads

Do you ask them other open questions?

That is a problem in sixth form and I know what you mean - it's hard to establish new friendship groups so late in school. But that's why uni is so good - there are no established groups.

If you're in sixth form now, then you haven't got long to go. If you really can't get anywhere then I'd recommend you just keeping your head down and concentrating on the things that do matter (health, family, schoolwork) and starting afresh at uni. It's what I tell myself :smile:
Reply 15
Uni didn't change me. The final year I had more friends than before but it wasn't crazy either. In fact, it's when I finished uni that it changed. I've never had as many friends as I have now.

Can't really help you though, I still have no idea what was/is wrong with me. Maybe lack of confidence. When you don't even trust yourself, don't expect other people to trust you. And if they don't trust you, they probably don't want to hang out with you.
I'm in the same boat, mate. I have plenty of friends, but no one in particular who reaches out to me, invites me out etc. Even when I do go out, I tend to be the last person people want to speak to.

No advice I can offer you other than to keep trying. You are not alone with this.
I am with -; I have plently of friends but none that actually invites me to many places.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's normal.

If it doesn't bother you then I don't think it's abnormal. I find it pretty exhausting to be around friends all the time, a couple of hours is more than enough for me. I chat to people at work and I spend my weekends with my boyfriend so I don't really want to make time for friends etc, I see my closest friends maybe twice a year and that's enough. There's nothing wrong with being a bit more introverted, but if it does bother you and you would rather have a more active social life then going to uni will be the perfect opportunity for you to make plenty of new friends and get involved in societies, sports, etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending