The Student Room Group

How do I get my girlfriend to lose weight?

Me and my girlfriend have been together for 5 years. Recently she has gained around 2 stone in weight, she is aware of it, and so am I.

She has been a healthy and attractive weight before as she went to the gym and did lots of cardio, ate healthily and managed to lose a stone and a half easily. Since then she hasn't been to the gym for about a year and eats lots of unhealthy food and has put all this weight back on.

I know this sounds horrible but I am starting to not find her body attractive any more and obviously that's not good. Other people have also noticed she's put on weight and mentioned it to me but I feel like its impossible to tell her as she would understandably get upset and think I don't want to be with her. I want her to be healthy for her sake as well as mine. What can I do? Also going to gym together is not an option as I am at university and she doesn't live where I live. Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this means you loved her because of her body?? okaaaay:biggrin:

the only thing you can do is to tell how you are feeling about her weight gain..there's no other answer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah OP if u truly loved her you'd let her get obese it's her body not urs :smile:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Brat Brad
You could try to put it nicely, perhaps by saying that your New Years resolution is to eat more healthily and it would be nice to try to complete the resolution together, to spur each other on and give you something to work towards together
Reply 5
Original post by danr2
this means you loved her because of her body?? okaaaay:biggrin:

Of course not. I love her for who she is, but I want her to lose weight for her sake, and also I want to find my girlfriend attractive.
You've probably got an incoming ****storm so sorry about that

As for advice you can alter the places you go to eat together, or just emphasise your own healthy lifestyle and how nice it is to feel fit

Subtly though
Tell her to leave you. She'll lose the weight of your horrible judgement on her smh.
Reply 8
Find a new girlfriend, she deserves better
Reply 9
could it be that she's just comfortable in the relationship so she doesn't feel the need to impress you as much?
You do the deed 24/7. Burn those calories
if you want her to lose weight than she should leave your sorry ass. that'd lighten herself by a good 200lbs.
If it was a sudden change, then mention it, because her health is probably at risk
otherwise stop being an idiot
Reply 13
Original post by BradP95
Of course not. I love her for who she is, but I want her to lose weight for her sake, and also I want to find my girlfriend attractive.

i know what you mean haha and would have reacted the same as you... tell her how you feel in a way that it wouldn't upset her
Each time you meet up with her you could move as if you're jogging :wink: then she might do the same
Then do weekly shopping yourself and buy only healthy things, and start going to the gym and invite her with you
Tbh I don't think there's any nice way of telling her. She'll see right through any "gently persuasion" by you. Be prepared for a fight...
Reply 17
I knew I would get so much hate for this. But I would be doing her a favour if I encouraged her to lose weight. Its sad when she has became like this when she used to be so healthy and I just see her sitting there eating junk food.
Original post by catwat99
could it be that she's just comfortable in the relationship so she doesn't feel the need to impress you as much?

getting fit just to find someone, and then back to 'normal'? that's poor
Reply 19
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Tell her to leave you. She'll lose the weight of your horrible judgement on her smh.

what?? what he is saying is right...and don't tell me you wouldn't do the same if your boyfriend was suddenly gaining unhealthy weight
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending