The Student Room Group

Work Experience for medicine

I've been told that the only way i can find work experience in hospitals is to write letters and phone them.......well, I have...and they keep saying that either it's waaay too late, and places have been booked 2 years ago :eek: , or...I have to -know- the doctors...so according to them, i shouldn't tried 2-3 years ago, and i can't get work experience in hospitals, unless i personally know the doctors...since nobody is willing to do it :frown: !
Reply 1
lovely_girl
I've been told that the only way i can find work experience in hospitals is to write letters and phone them.......well, I have...and they keep saying that either it's waaay too late, and places have been booked 2 years ago :eek: , or...I have to -know- the doctors...so according to them, i shouldn't tried 2-3 years ago, and i can't get work experience in hospitals, unless i personally know the doctors...since nobody is willing to do it :frown: !

It's not the end of the world if you don't get into a hospital - it's always worth phoning rather than writing as well, you may get more lucky. I had a nightmare getting my placement, and the one I did get was an hour's drive from home (and I couldn't drive at the time, so my parents loved it).

If you really can't get any, then go for other related things - GP surgeries, health clinics, old people's homes, hospices - there is loads of stuff around.
Reply 2
thanks...hmm ok...I'll definately try!
Helenia, how much work experience did you have, when you applied?
Reply 3
Also try Millenium Volunteers - med schools seem to like it.
Reply 4
Fluffy
Also try Millenium Volunteers - med schools seem to like it.

umm is that a residential placement scheme?
Reply 5
lovely_girl
umm is that a residential placement scheme?

No it's a govenment driven initative to get young people (16-24) volunteering on community projects in their own neighbourhoods. There are often medically related projects availiable.

http://www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk/
Reply 6
You could try applying for general volunteer work at your local hospital. I dont know that it counts as proper work experience but it can't be far off. I'm going to help out in the childrens ward - keeping kids entertained before operations, cheering them up etc. They're alway looking for people to help.

Steph
Reply 7
Fluffy
No it's a govenment driven initative to get young people (16-24) volunteering on community projects in their own neighbourhoods. There are often medically related projects availiable.

http://www.millenniumvolunteers.gov.uk/

from the MV web site:
mv

Project types

What's happening now?

There are around 140 MV projects offering opportunities to young people in England (Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales run their own initiatives).

Projects are very varied, but broad categories are

Sports

Childcare

Mentoring

Literacy

Media

Environmental

Befriending

Tutoring

Activities can include:

Website design

Mentoring

Anti-bullying

Arts & crafts

Dance

Community media

Anti-racism

Drugs awareness

Video making

Victim support

Youth club helpers

Fundraising

Safety awareness information and advice to young people

Working with the elderly

DJ-ing

Sports Coaching

Providing meals for people who have HIV and AIDS

Classroom assisting

Performing arts

Social care

Radio presenting and production

Working with people with disabilities

Crime prevention schemes

Helping the homeless

Training in first aid and emergency services

Events and entertainment

And the list goes on……..

Reply 8
oh thanks for the info!:smile: Fluffy, did you do this Milennium Volunteering thing?
Reply 9
lovely_girl
oh thanks for the info!:smile: Fluffy, did you do this Milennium Volunteering thing?

No - too old :smile: I know lots of people who are now at Med School who did though.

It's seen as being on a par with DoE, if not slightly more 'fashionable'...
Reply 10
oh, and i have one more question....obviously you talk about your work experience in your PS...but you don't just list them, do you? like...1 week at..., 1 week at...
also, do they need proof of some kind?
Reply 11
lovely_girl
oh, and i have one more question....obviously you talk about your work experience in your PS...but you don't just list them, do you? like...1 week at..., 1 week at...
also, do they need proof of some kind?

I have heard of people being asked to prove their W/E - especially if the interviewers have doubts, but this is very rare - unlike the States where you have to have refs from all w/e.

I wouldn't 'just' list them though - I would expand on them and say what you got from each of them. Anyone can write a list...
Reply 12
Fluffy
I have heard of people being asked to prove their W/E - especially if the interviewers have doubts, but this is very rare - unlike the States where you have to have refs from all w/e.

I wouldn't 'just' list them though - I would expand on them and say what you got from each of them. Anyone can write a list...

yeah, that's what i thought...but i thought that you also need to provide proof...(in addition to what you said in the PS)
Reply 13
lovely_girl
yeah, that's what i thought...but i thought that you also need to provide proof...(in addition to what you said in the PS)

Not often. However, lying aboput w/e usually gets you in trouble during interview, as you can guarentee they will ask you about it, and it's usually easy(ish) to spot those that have made up w/e.
Reply 14
Fluffy
Not often. However, lying aboput w/e usually gets you in trouble during interview, as you can guarentee they will ask you about it, and it's usually easy(ish) to spot those that have made up w/e.

oh no! I wasn't planning on lying about it!!! :redface:
Reply 15
lovely_girl
oh no! I wasn't planning on lying about it!!! :redface:
lol! Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you would. :redface: Just that a few carefully asked questions can usually give some kind on indication on wehter you've doent he w/e you claim or not.

Some schools will accept additional references, so if you can get one, great.
Reply 16
no, no...im definately not going to lie about it.... :redface:
Reply 17
lovely_girl
thanks...hmm ok...I'll definately try!
Helenia, how much work experience did you have, when you applied?

Not that much "medical" stuff compared with some people - I had two weeks in a GP surgery, mostly doing admin, and a week shadowing in an Emergency Dept (an hour from home). Aside from that I had been a Young Leader with Brownies for 3 years or something, and helped out at a nursery and a local primary school (where my Mum worked) in my school holidays occasionally.

On your PS, don't just list your experience, I wrote stuff like "Last summer, I spent 2 weeks work experience at the 8-doctor strong xxxxxxxx Medical Practice. Here, I spent some time working in reception, learning how to deal with patients and administration. I also observed some child health and vaccination clinics, which I enjoyed as my first real patient contact." I hadn't actually done the shadowing at the time of application, so I just mentioned that I was going to do it.

My other stuff went "Outside school, I have been a Young Leader with xxxxxxx Brownies for over 2 years, where I both help with the leaders’ activities and run some of my own, as well as taking part in planning meetings..." "I have also spent several weeks during my longer holidays as a volunteer assistant at a local nursery and at a village primary school.
All of these have given me experience in dealing with children and staff, as well as in undertaking responsibility...."

That sort of thing - list what you gained from your experience, not just the fact that you did it. It's frighteningly sycophantic, but it seems to have worked! :smile:
Reply 18
lovely_girl
That barely matters. I did no hospital/doctor related work experience and did ok.

I guess all u need to show is interest and experience in some vaguely related work. I heard (though can't verify) they like nursing/nursing home style stuff, so if you can get some of that in you should be fine. With such things, its probably got more to do with how you come across in your personal statement than exactly what you did. I.e., doing very little (time wise) work experience, but reporting that you gained a lot from it is probably more valuable than giving a list of dozens of things you did without describing their significance.

Latest