The Student Room Group

What makes someone your friend?

I think the term "friend" is used very openly these days. I have friends that aren't really true friends, they'd end up backstabbing me or would stop talking to me or just wouldn't hang out with me. There are only 1 or 2 friends that I have that I can rely on to speak to about personal things and who would be there for me when I need support.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
It's hard to answer cause I have friends who have nothing in common. With some friends I know I can tell them everything and they won't be easily offended. Others, I must be careful and choose my words.

I have many acquaintances (people I know but don't really care about tbh), about 20 friends (I hang out with them or used to) and only 3 real friends (best of the best).
Someone I trust and can talk to about deep, personal stuff, but also who I can have a laugh with. I have about 3 close friends, 15 more distant friends (who I don't trust with secrets, but I do have a laugh with) and a lot of acquaintances
(edited 8 years ago)
It's easy for one to mistake a friend with an acquaintance.

But someone who I'd consider a friend is someone who I share the same sort of humour with and I'm able to talk about things other than academic study/vague 'how is your mum doing?' questions (as you would with an acquaintance) with them.
I have one friend. This friend has different politics, education, religion, attitudes etc, but what we share in common is mutual trust.

Everyone else is just background noise.
Mutual connection with someone else :smile:
Reply 6
For me, a close friend is someone I can be myself with and feel that he/she is okay with that :-)
Reply 7
criteria for a friend:
- someone you can trust
- someone who trusts you back
- someone who gives and doesn't only take
- someone who will listen to you and offer a shoulder to cry on
- someone who respects you despite your differences
- someone who will support you all the way to achieve your dreams
- someone who will give you a heads up when you're in a bad situation and you may not know
- someone who's not afraid to give you their opinion on something you're doing if they think it might not be in your best interest
- someone who won't leave you when you need them most
Reply 8
Wow reading all your posts, I seriously think I dont have any true friends :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UWS

I think the term "friend" is used very openly these days. I have friends that aren't really true friends, they'd end up backstabbing me or would stop talking to me or just wouldn't hang out with me. There are only 1 or 2 friends that I have that I can rely on to speak to about personal things and who would be there for me when I need support.

True friendship is an unspoken understanding of unconditional loyalty between both sides, even in the most extreme circumstances. It's a reciprocal level of safety that comes from knowing someone will watch your back no matter what, and not being afraid to stand up and do the same for them. A true friend is one who you know with 100% certainty will never throw you under the bus, but would rather stand in the way of it themselves. Someone you can speak to about anything in the absolute confidence that nobody else will ever hear of it.

We have a basic biological need for those sort of friends, they help us survive the challenges of the world. :smile:
I would agree with most of the posts on here.

I really only have 2 friends that fit all that criteria. One is my husband. The other is someone I have really not known very long at all - we met in August but have only been what I would call "close friends" for less than two months, but already he's more of a best friend than anybody else I can think of (husband aside). We have a seriously strong bond - we talk about all sorts, anything and everything. He's like Han Solo and I'm like a big furry thing that makes weird noises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending