The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I just recently received my residence card as a spouse of an Eu national, would be starting my 2nd year of uni this September, I have only been here for 3 years, but got told I need 5 years now as the rules has been changed, I'm surprised, I will like to know if student finance can help me out with the tuition
Original post by H.b9
Hello,

So I have applied for the 2016-17 foundation course in Wales . I have some questions regarding financial help and would also appreciate some information more about it.

A little background about myself, I am due to be an eu national in the coming months(before UNI starts), lived in the EU for six years. When I applied through ucas I selected private finance, because we were a bit skeptical about student loan and because of my current situation.

My question is, if we pay for the first year of my course will there be any financial help available for this year?, and is it possible to apply for student loan for the following years?

How do I apply for a student loan?

Could you please provide some vital information to eu students that are planning to study in the uk about student loans and other financial help?

Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi H.b9,

I’m going to assume that your course is eligible for funding. If you’re unsure you should check with your university or college. You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £3,810 and a Fee Grant of up to £5,190.

To be eligible, you must have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for three years before the start of your course and be an EU national. Also if you’ve studied before and have an equivalent level qualification you might not be able eligible for any support.

Continuing students applying for the first time should download and fill in a EUPR1a form when it’s time to apply from www.studentfinancewales.co.uk

As you’re applying for the first time you’ll need to send evidence of your identity either your valid passport or national identity card.

There’s lots of information for EU students available at www.studentfinancewales.co.uk and we’ll be adding more guides to help you soon so keep checking back.
Original post by eniet
Hello

Is there any danger of my Fee status changing in the middle of my degree due to any political changes in the UK? I'm a EU student coming to study in Cambridge. By political action I mean either

a) a decision to raise the maximum tuition fee universities are allowed to pay as has been done in the past

b) any kind of amendment to EU - UK relationships which might affect the legal status of EU students in UK

Or, is it so that when I sign up at the beginning of my degree the same tuition fee applies for the whole degree?

Hi eniet,

Regardless of whether you’re an EU student, fees and loan amounts may change each year. You need to re-apply for student finance for every year of your course. If the fee you’re being charged changes before the start of the academic year, you should tell us about this directly. If it changes after the academic year starts, you need to ask your university or college to tell us about it instead.
Original post by Anna9393
Hi,

I'm a UK student hoping to study medicine starting in September 2016. Are tuition fees funded by the NHS for any year of the course?

Thanks

Anna

Hi Anna,

If it’s an undergraduate course and you’re eligible for NHS funding, the NHS will start paying your fees from the fifth year of study. If you’re entering on a graduate course, the NHS will start paying your fees from the second year. You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from us to help pay for the earlier years of your course.
Original post by adarkin
I have looked and there is nothing that tells me how much i personally am able to get. I need to know how much I can get that isn't income based.

The GOV website with the student finance calculator is income based and also doesn't mention anything about the first part of the maintenance loan not being assessed and the higher part being assessed.

Hi adarkin,

You’ll be able to find more information in our guide ‘How you’re assessed and paid’, which will be available on our student finance zone on The Student Room soon.
Original post by redstriker22
Hi, I just recently received my residence card as a spouse of an Eu national, would be starting my 2nd year of uni this September, I have only been here for 3 years, but got told I need 5 years now as the rules has been changed, I'm surprised, I will like to know if student finance can help me out with the tuition

Hi redstriker22,

If you’ve been living in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years before the start of your course and you’re an EU national or the family member of an EU national you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,000.

As you’reapplying for the first time you’ll need to send evidence of your identity –either your valid passport or national identity card.

There’s lots of information for EU students available on Student Finance England’s student finance zone and we’ll be adding more guides to help you soon so keep checking back.
That's it for this year. Thanks for all your questions.

Remember you can find lots of student finance information on Student Finance England's dedicated student finance zone.

Latest

Trending

Trending