The Student Room Group

Camp America - general?

I'm thinking of applying for Camp America. Not this year, but 2017. I've read about gaining experience with children, so I was wondering what would be the best sort of thing that I could do?

I don't really know what sort of experience I could gain around where I live, so can anyone give me ideas? Where I can look? What sort of things will help my application?
Honestly I'd say to go with a different company than Camp America - I didn't have a good experience with them though that could be rare. I was circulating from early november and still hadn't heard anything by january, so I went to a recruitment fair where I found out that most camps only want people who are over 21 and/or have an actual qualification in their skill. Even to be the camp photographer (going round taking pictures of the campers) they wanted you to work as a freelance photographer as a career.

If you are set on going though (regardless of company), you should try getting experience by volunteering at local groups like rainbows/brownies/scouts. Other than those groups you could have a look for after school groups or (if you have a specific skill) kids sports clubs.You might have to get a police check before you can do this, but the group will let you know about that. :smile:
Original post by otoop2
I'm thinking of applying for Camp America. Not this year, but 2017. I've read about gaining experience with children, so I was wondering what would be the best sort of thing that I could do?

I don't really know what sort of experience I could gain around where I live, so can anyone give me ideas? Where I can look? What sort of things will help my application?

Hey - that's fantastic you're thinking of applying for Camp America! Our applications for 2017 will open in early August. We recommend perhaps gaining work experience in a primary school for a couple of weeks/helping out at your local brownie/scouts/babysitting/volunteering at a childrens activity centre? - Sophie
Original post by peedie pixie
Honestly I'd say to go with a different company than Camp America - I didn't have a good experience with them though that could be rare. I was circulating from early november and still hadn't heard anything by january, so I went to a recruitment fair where I found out that most camps only want people who are over 21 and/or have an actual qualification in their skill. Even to be the camp photographer (going round taking pictures of the campers) they wanted you to work as a freelance photographer as a career.

If you are set on going though (regardless of company), you should try getting experience by volunteering at local groups like rainbows/brownies/scouts. Other than those groups you could have a look for after school groups or (if you have a specific skill) kids sports clubs.You might have to get a police check before you can do this, but the group will let you know about that. :smile:

Hey - we're sorry to hear you didn't have a great experience with us. A lot of our camps don't start hiring until January time and camps are very specific at the fairs about what skills they're looking for but every camp is looking for different skills and characteristics. Whilst around 200 camps go to our fairs, we work with over 800 and try our very best to find a placement for you. If you'd like to discuss this at all then please do get in touch at 0207 581 7373 or by emailing us at [email protected] - Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest