Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise i had been receiving letters about voting and had no idea there was a deadline, mine was 26th january. I registered today as soon as i realised and emailed my local council about it but i am terrified i will get fined the £80. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avidreader10)
    I didn't realise i had been receiving letters about voting and had no idea there was a deadline, mine was 26th january. I registered today as soon as i realised and emailed my local council about it but i am terrified i will get fined the £80. Any help?
    its not compulsory to be on the electoral register in this country so you are fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    its not compulsory to be on the electoral register in this country so you are fine
    Unfortunately it is compulsory to register to vote in the UK however it isn't compulsory to vote. Therefore i am really concerned i will still be fined for missing the deadline i didn't realise i had.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it is compulsory to register to vote in the UK however it isn't compulsory to vote. Therefore i am really concerned i will still be fined for missing the deadline i didn't realise i had.
    my apologies, although ive always registered i know people who never bothered and nothing happened, so i wouldn't panic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    my apologies, although ive always registered i know people who never bothered and nothing happened, so i wouldn't panic
    It's just not particularly pleasant knowing i'm a risk of being fined. I have emailed my local council but being very late and a weekend, i'm left worrying until monday.

ReputationRep:
    It's just not particularly pleasant knowing i'm a risk of being fined. I have emailed my local council but being very late and a weekend, i'm left worrying until monday.
    They sent me that letter 4 times, nothing ever happened. I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbella~)
    They sent me that letter 4 times, nothing ever happened. I wouldn't worry.
    Did you miss the deadline they set you to register by? i'm just worried because i have no idea how many times they have sent that letter and my deadline was almost a month ago.

ReputationRep:
    Did you miss the deadline they set you to register by? i'm just worried because i have no idea how many times they have sent that letter and my deadline was almost a month ago.
    I signed up for it initially, then I think I got another form wanting a load more details? It wanted my national insurance number which I didn't know so I sent off for that which took forever to get back to me. They kept sending me letters like "you must register by the end of September or we're going to fine you £80" then at the end of September, I'd get the same letter but the date being pushed on a month, etc. Basically they just kept moving the deadline when I didn't complete the registration. I think you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I signed up for it initially, then I think I got another form wanting a load more details? It wanted my national insurance number which I didn't know so I sent off for that which took forever to get back to me. They kept sending me letters like "you must register by the end of September or we're going to fine you £80" then at the end of September, I'd get the same letter but the date being pushed on a month, etc. Basically they just kept moving the deadline when I didn't complete the registration. I think you should be fine
    I just dug around the house and found THREE letters in drawers with deadlines so i guess you're right about the moving of deadlines but what if i've left it too long and they will fine me now? for all i know there could be more of those letters somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I just dug around the house and found THREE letters in drawers with deadlines so i guess you're right about the moving of deadlines but what if i've left it too long and they will fine me now? for all i know there could be more of those letters somewhere.
    I honestly don't think they will, just send the final bit off as soon as you can

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't think they will, just send the final bit off as soon as you can
    I have, i didn't know anything about a fine or deadline until after i sent off the application today

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this thread, I've been ignoring the letters because I didn't realise you had to register, after seeing this I checked my letter and my deadline was 07/03/16. Thankfully I finished it up just now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Thanks for this thread, I've been ignoring the letters because I didn't realise you had to register, after seeing this I checked my letter and my deadline was 07/03/16. Thankfully I finished it up just now.
    Glad you realised, at least you're safe from a fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.