The Student Room Group

Should i pick economics for A-Level

heyy...
i am about to pick my A-level options but im not sure what to pick...
i really want to do maths and psychology however im not too sure about my third option. I cant choose between Economics and Chemistry (which i dont like, but i want to keep my options open for the future)...and i was just wondering what economics would be about and if it would actually be something that i would be happy doing...

btw im planning to do a business/maths course at university or something close to that
If you want to do a business/maths course. I suggest you consider Further Maths or Economics.

If you're interested in possibly getting into other fields such as Pharmacology take Chem.
Reply 2
Original post by sarahx.x
heyy...
i really want to do maths and psychology however im not too sure about my third option. I cant choose between Economics and Chemistry (which i dont like, but i want to keep my options open for the future)...and i was just wondering what economics would be about and if it would actually be something that i would be happy doing...

btw im planning to do a business/maths course at university or something close to that

Its a good A level... but you do lack 'facilitating subjects'. You may want to look in to that
Reply 3
Honestly I find Economics extremely interesting, and I do like how its pretty much relevant to everything. You'll learn about how markets work, inflation, exchange rates, government policy etc. However it is a pretty hard subject for me, you have to go into a lot of depth and detail especially because of the new exams which my teacher told are far harder than years before.

For the exams, its mixed with some multiple choice for AQA, Edexcel and OCR, as well as essay questions where you have to comment on Government policies, draw diagrams etc.

However if you want to do a business course, picking business will obviously be better as well as it being simpler (or so I hear).
Do Economics 100%, especially based on what you're saying. I do both btw.
Original post by sarahx.x
heyy...

Economics is very challenging but quite interesting, however you should know that there in the level of maths in the exams, there is next-to-nothing. Even in the new exams, you might get one question and that'd only be about finding a percentage. A few A Level Maths people have taken Economics and got annoyed that there's no maths and found it too challenging and dropped it.

Universities also don't require it and some of them don't even accept Economics as a related subject even for Economics degrees according to our Economics department.

Quick Reply

Latest