The Student Room Group

Would you give Labour a chance in 2020?

Conservatives were doing cuts to make it more efficient but now are just taking the pi** I'm centre-right but I think labour should have a chance in 2020, what do you all think?

Scroll to see replies

Komrade Korbyn in 2020 ? with Putin in power in Russia ... pull the other one
Reply 2
I'd want to see a manifesto first. I wouldt want to rule it out, but I couldn't see myself voting for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are you kidding? under corbyn?
Like last year, if they had a credible and electable leader they'd certainly have a shot. Currently however, you're living on another planet if you think they do.
Original post by ckfeister
Conservatives were doing cuts to make it more efficient but now are just taking the pi** I'm centre-right but I think labour should have a chance in 2020, what do you all think?

You are clearly not centre right and clearly a deluded fool if you support Corbyn, enter the real world and no Labour do not deserve another chance to destroy Britain even more.
Reply 6
No. Corbyn is an extremist and they deserve to lose for making him leader.
Reply 7
I doubt that Corbyn will be elected in all honesty
Reply 8
Original post by ckfeister

No.
No. I have a lot of respect for Corbyn, he's principled and wants to do what's right, but his views are naive and impractical. If Labour had a more moderate leader I might, because the Conservative government is destroying this country.

It's scary that Labour have made themselves unelectable, because the Conservatives have no real opposition anymore.
Corbyn is not an extremist. He's a centre-left politician with some kooky views on foreign policy which hopefully he'll stfu about well before the election.

Basically, the election will depend on whether the Tories keep being really lucky with the economy or whether the business cycle comes around again before 2020, and how soon. If we hit recession this year or next, it'll be close, because chances are we'll be booming again by the election and it's a question of how long the public memory lasts. If we hit recession in 2018-19, Labour will breeze it regardless of who's in charge, because the Tories' ideological commitment to austerity will make things worse. If we don't hit a recession by the election, I suspect the Tories will win regardless of who's in charge because things are going well at the moment and people (i.e. the middle class majority) don't care enough about others to justify voting against their personal interests.
Original post by JordanL_
No. I have a lot of respect for Corbyn, he's principled and wants to do what's right, but his views are naive and impractical. If Labour had a more moderate leader I might, because the Conservative government is destroying this country.

It's scary that Labour have made themselves unelectable, because the Conservatives have no real opposition anymore.

So the Conservatives are destroying the country in your estimation, and Labour have a man who wants to do what's right in your estimation instead, and yet you are going to turn around and not vote against the Conservatives, apparently because you think nobody else will either?

The mind boggles. "Unelectability" is rather on you if you flatly refuse to vote for someone you apparently think will be better, or against someone you think is terrible.
Would I give labour a chance in 2020?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Individual registration is expected to benefit the Tories.
So is the new boundaries.
SNP unlikely to lose many seats.
New PM presumably adds votes, unless it is Michael Gove.
UKIP vote less as we have decided to remain or leave, and more of them transfer to the Tories.

So I expect a Tory majority.
I highly doubt it, unless the economy tanks or the Tories dissolve into in-fighting over Europe.
No chance.

I respect Corbyn for having his own views and sticking to them, but he's too left wing for me. Aside from that I live in a Labour controlled area and after years of watching the council destroy the area I'm unlikely to ever vote for Labour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrotgrot
So the Conservatives are destroying the country in your estimation, and Labour have a man who wants to do what's right in your estimation instead, and yet you are going to turn around and not vote against the Conservatives, apparently because you think nobody else will either?

The mind boggles. "Unelectability" is rather on you if you flatly refuse to vote for someone you apparently think will be better, or against someone you think is terrible.

What???????? I'm not not voting because nobody else will.

I'm not voting because his policies are extreme and destructive. He wants to do what's right, but his idea of right is naive.

I never said he was the better candidate for PM, just a better person. He's unelectable because his policies are ridiculous.
Depends really. I think next year is when Corbyn will be replaced. 2018 is just two years before the next election, and any stink that's acquired during that year probably wouldn't have washed off in tme.
I've thought about it and i think Labour is a better choice over the Tories. Here are my reasons.

1. Both Tories and Labour believe in Keynesian Economics.

The difference is the Tories want to expand the money supply by storing it in first time buyer homes as equity against debt. Labour on the other hand want to expand the money supply by building social housing which will reduce the need for a high housing benefit.

The fiscal methods are pretty much the same but Labours plan benefits the tax payer and the working classes rather than benefiting the needs of the few.

2. Labour want to abandon the economic model of the Tories which evolves around high private debt, low wages and cookie cutter services. Instead Labour wants to focus on becoming the Green-manufacturing center of the world and encourage a high tech manufacturing boom.

I am on board with this. There are a lot of products which can be built if we invest in renewable energy technology. It means changing the way Universities and Colleges do things but with the combination of automation and high-tech hands on jobs we could become the next Germany.

3. Its worth reminding the Tories that Labour achieved the lowest unemployment rate at 4.8% in the last 30 years. The Tories are struggling to achieve this even when they've tweaked the Job Center figures.

The 4.8% figure was achieved in 2004 3 years after the recession of 2001 and a couple years after Tax Credits where introduced.

When you look at the unemployment statistics from 1980 on wards your see Labour are the best choice the working class have in terms of getting a job and having a income.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate

Look for yourselves.
Labour? Absolutely not considering the types of goons and imbeciles that are leading it currently.

Having said that, by the next election Cameron's time will also be up and it would certainly be time for a new PM, just not Corbyn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending