The Student Room Group

Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nucdev
Yes

really nuc??? daadi won't be ok with that :curious:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Depends.

I would refuse to marry a Muslim.

But I'd be fine to marry anyone of any other religion as long as they don't force it on me and they don't have a very strong view on religion.

:teehee::toofunny:
I think I could easily marry a jew/catholic but I wouldn't be so keen on a seriously religious person.
No.

Then again I don't have religious beliefs, so I wouldn't marry someone with them, I think it would be too hard, we'd have different ideas in mind even if we got along, say they wanted to go to worship, that would be hard for me and them talking about Gods and things that I don't believe in...then the thought of having future children and what they would be made to believe sounds a bit of a challenge. I can also imagine I just would not fit into their friends/family, and wouldn't be very well accepted which sounds too daunted.
Original post by somesomebody
:teehee::toofunny:

What?
What?

I just can't believe you said that on TSR where there's so many Muslims lool
Yep. Would have no issues with it.

My partner and I are different religions, and we just leave each other to whatever the other wants to do. It helps that we're both very mild with our beliefs.

The main difference between us is that he was forced into his religion growing up, whereas I was just left to educate myself and choose one (if any) for myself when I was old enough to understand. We've agreed that when/if we have kids, we'll take that approach as well - teach them about all religions in an unbiased manner and let them choose their own, if any.
I just can't believe you said that on TSR where there's so many Muslims lool

Meh Muslims on here have openly said they wouldn't marry a non Muslim.

I shouldn't get hate on here (not referring to you btw) but I have no interest in ever converting to Islam and so wouldn't ever consider marrying one (unless he/she was an ex Muslim)
Meh Muslims on here have openly said they wouldn't marry a non Muslim.

I shouldn't get hate on here (not referring to you btw) but I have no interest in ever converting to Islam and so wouldn't ever consider marrying one (unless he/she was an ex Muslim)

I agree, I can only have platonic Muslim female friends
which i never did until TSR
Original post by Foo.mp3
In some senses, aye, but we don't share the same beliefs when it comes to God/the bible etc (I'm agnostic, whereas you're a believer)

I guess but you feel it alittle
I agree, I can only have platonic Muslim female friends
which i never did until TSR

Not just that, I've known someone whose dated a Muslim and it all ended in tears.

When the guy proposed to the girl, he said she didn't have to convert or anything but under the pressure from his family he broke the engagement off and now he's married to someone else.
I don't have any religious beliefs...

I wouldn't marry anyone religious, because as an atheist, I think our beliefs would clash. Saying that, I would marry someone that is an agnostic, but that is as far as I would go.
Not just that, I've known someone whose dated a Muslim and it all ended in tears.

When the guy proposed to the girl, he said she didn't have to convert or anything but under the pressure from his family he broke the engagement off and now he's married to someone else.

ah yea that sh*t always happens, many of my mates are Muslim from North and East Af and they are very secular and talk the talk but then they have to face their folks lol and it's a diff story behind closed doors. So personally I don't even bother teasing myself or the woman that we could get together if she's Muslim, even secular.

But then again that's an issue with everyone, everyone has pressures from family and society who to get with, from religion to colour to weight lol.
Original post by drowzee
I don't have any religious beliefs...

I wouldn't marry anyone religious, because as an atheist, I think our beliefs would clash. Saying that, I would marry someone that is an agnostic, but that is as far as I would go.

liberal seems like an irreligious cynic so you got lucky
i'd say no (atheist) as i'd feel forced and pressured to go with them
Original post by Foo.mp3
Feel what sugar? :innocent:

Contradictory, as one has to have 'faith' in order to be an atheist (to believe that there is no God, in the absence of incontrovertible evidence) :beard:

Spoiler

Christ and his teachings
Yes
Muslim here. Tbh I have no clue. I'm not particularly religious so I wouldn't want to marry someone more religious than I am because then they'll try to make me religious. But then if I married someone who wasn't Muslim, my family would be pissed. Anyway I'm 23 and have no plans to get married at least for another 6 years.

EDIT
Maybe I'll get a cat.
Original post by dontcallmesammy
Yep. Would have no issues with it.

My partner and I are different religions, and we just leave each other to whatever the other wants to do. It helps that we're both very mild with our beliefs.

The main difference between us is that he was forced into his religion growing up, whereas I was just left to educate myself and choose one (if any) for myself when I was old enough to understand. We've agreed that when/if we have kids, we'll take that approach as well - teach them about all religions in an unbiased manner and let them choose their own, if any.

Agreed:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never. My faith comes first before anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending