The Student Room Group

Shaving down there..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I know someone's suggested not to use it but try an epilator. You could try your armpits first and if you don't like it, you don't. But if it doesn't hurt (does not for me), try it down there.

Also when do you do the shaving? It's best to do it halfway through a shower so your hair is softened after having been in the water a while. Another way to soften the hair and prevent irritation is to apply a thin layer of coconut oil on the hair and then shaving/epilating.

Stop shaving for a while now because you are so close to getting ingrown hairs and honestly, whatever sex you could be having, even if it's mind-blowing is not worth the pain. Stop for a couple weeks then try the methods above and see if it works. It's not like your boyfriend would refuse to have sex if you had the slightest bit of hair down there surely... it's worrying if he would.

Usually I leave shaving until last so my legs etc feel nice and softened under the warm water.

Okay I think I will just stick to trimming for a while and then try the epilator in a few weeks. Yeah he is not fussy haha but I just felt like a change (especially since he would enjoy it) and also because summer is fast approaching and it is always better to be clean shaven for a bikini
Original post by celiabrown
Hiya,

I feel for you I really do! I used to be the same when i started shaving and it was so embarrassing and sore. The good news is that it is something your body gradually gets used to but I do have some tips for you:

1. Don't shave more than once a week, you've got to let the hair grow a bit before you shave again, the longer you can leave it the better
2. Soak in the bath for a good ten minutes prior to shaving and exfoliate before you do
3. use shaving gel, one that says it has a moisturiser in it ideally and use lots of it 4. shave with the hair growth first, so shave downwards, the opposite to how you do your legs probably, then shave upwards once you’ve got rid of most the hair for a closer shave5. After you have shaved put moisturiser on, use a brand like dove or simple, one without perfume, as natural as possible, I use aloe vera gel6. finally, this is the best, I cover the shaved area in sudocrem before I go to bed when I wake up the next morning I wash It off in the shower and this really stopped me getting shavers rashNow I’ve been shaving for a while, I can shave without any moisturiser or sudeocrem and I am absolutely bumps free but it does take some time. Hope this helps xxx

Thank you so much for the advice !!!

Okay I will wait to grow in a while then I will invest in some aloe vera gel and a tub of sudocrem and give it a go !

Its just so irritating and its embarrassing to look at so its completely ironic that i shave for a better time with my bf yet after I shave I don't want him anywhere near that area !!

Thanks again !!
You have to shave in the direction of your hair growth, with a sharp razor.
So shave downwards...to avoid razor bumps,
Does it make you laugh? Are those two words hilarious?

Why have you posted that anonymously?
Thats normal it happens lool same for everyone...use cream or something
Usually I leave shaving until last so my legs etc feel nice and softened under the warm water.

Okay I think I will just stick to trimming for a while and then try the epilator in a few weeks. Yeah he is not fussy haha but I just felt like a change (especially since he would enjoy it) and also because summer is fast approaching and it is always better to be clean shaven for a bikini

Ah that's another thing. Don't leave it too long because then you can't get a close shave and you'll tend to put more pressure or shave rougher. So do it halfway and you should be good!
Ladies I need your help !

Usually I opt for the neatly trimmed look, but my new boyfriend prefers the shaven look and so I really want to try it out for the both of us.

However, whenever I try to shave, I always come out in a rash which is really sore and itchy the next day.

I don't know if I am doing it wrong or if I am missing something ?

I have tried different types of razors, shaving against or with the grain, different soaps and shaving foams, washing afterwards with only cold water, but it still always leads to a rash.

Help !

P.s I don't want to resort to waxing as I don't have the greatest pain tolerance and I would feel embarrassed having it professionally done

Have you tried electric razors? I find I get rashes or sensitivity in my armpits with a standard razor unless I am very careful. Electric razor is usually fine though.

I know you can also try epilators and hair removal cream etc but I think they are usually painful and I wouldn't be keen on trying it anywhere as sensitive as my lady bits.
Don't use shaving gel or foam it's very irritating to the skin, especially in such an intimate area. Use baby oil, try to get an unfragranced one.

But chances are no matter what you do you're going to get some form of irritation removing the hair, the body simply doesn't like it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ladies I need your help !

Usually I opt for the neatly trimmed look, but my new boyfriend prefers the shaven look and so I really want to try it out for the both of us.

However, whenever I try to shave, I always come out in a rash which is really sore and itchy the next day.

I don't know if I am doing it wrong or if I am missing something ?

I have tried different types of razors, shaving against or with the grain, different soaps and shaving foams, washing afterwards with only cold water, but it still always leads to a rash.

Help !

P.s I don't want to resort to waxing as I don't have the greatest pain tolerance and I would feel embarrassed having it professionally done

lol at least your not black my downbelow is so discoloured that it looks like I have a disease but I would say in general watch a few youtube videos consider getting a laser hair removal down there or even a brazilian wax for permanent eradication of the hair follicles.

Quick Reply

Latest