The Student Room Group

The evil flatmate saga continues..(long post!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by banterboy
Think of the positives; a village might be more close nit. Go into the pub. There will be working men. If you can befriend them, they might have odd jobs for you to do.

You're not worthless. You've got yourself work and survived with, from what I can tell, a very poor social network without a lot of help. Now you can start a fresh somewhere else. That's the useful way to look at your predicament.

The pub closed down due to lack of sales!
I used to live in that village until last year, I didnt know anyone when I left!

We'll have to see how things go.
Original post by Johnsheppard99
Really..REALLY?? The only people I know who work full time in retail are managers, and people who started 20+ years ago..EVERYTHING is tiny flexi contracts now. I had 18hrs a week in Tesco, 8hrs a week in Next guarenteed, and in my current place im up to 25hrs a week after I was given another 4 a few weeks ago. Most people I know are under 20hrs a week contracted.
Learn what skills in particular? I couldn't do any of those example jobs. There are next to no jobs that dont require qualifications or being able to drive around Cardiff. Even to get into the city center of cardiff, it takes me over an hour on the bus, and most companies think thats too long.
I also cannot cycle more than about a mile or two. I started last year, badly broke my arm falling off, not been back on it since.

I currently live in a big town, but will be having to move into the countryside to basically a retirement village were busses are only every 40 mins, so to get to work 5 miles away, I'll need to leave about an hour at the absolute latest but if it doesnt arrive, I can't even walk it like I do now.

I can't move away either, nowhere to go, noone I know elsewhere etc

do you think you're in some sort of magical city? if you're in a city there will be opportunities work wise, you just need to find/take them...

as for your transport problems, an hour commute by bus is not a massive amount and I doubt many employers care, providing you get to work on time which is down to you, get an earlier bus if it's unreliable

I cycle a lot, before christmas I was hit by a car... I still cycle and if you started it wouldn't be long at all before you could cycle the 5 miles to work, in fact I think you could start off doing it, it's like 30 minutes ride if you're slow

moving home might be a good thing, save enough money to learn to drive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending