Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else getting tired of pointless lessons in school wasting time? Honestly, I can get so much more done at home at this stage and make my studying more focused. Thoughts?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anyone else getting tired of pointless lessons in school wasting time? Honestly, I can get so much more done at home at this stage and make my studying more focused. Thoughts?
    Absolutely! Best thing about uni is if your lecturer puts the slides up before lectures, you can have a look, and if it's really simple stuff, just go through it in half the time, and not bother with the lecture

Always helps to have some people you know will go, and on the odd occasion ask if there was anything important you missed. Though they can start getting pretty ****ed off if you do it every day xD

ReputationRep:
    If you're under 18 (GCSE/A-Levels) chances are you'll revise better in school. Teachers usually go through past papers, or hold revision lessons for this purpose. You should be studying at home on top of this.

What are you going to do at home? Sleep until midday, eat, then do some work? Nah - just stay in school.

Definitely better to do work at home. You go through what you need to go through and don't waste time doing stuff you already know. You don't have to waste time between lessons. Can go to the toilet whenever you want.
    I always joke about this with my friends. School for me and most people I know does the opposite of what it is designed to do.

ReputationRep:
    The point of lessons is to help you understand a topic, not learn it. I find learning/remebering it is much easier at home, but sometimes its faster to be taught a more diffcult topic when trying to undersatnd it

(Original post by Findlay6)
    If you're under 18 (GCSE/A-Levels) chances are you'll revise better in school. Teachers usually go through past papers, or hold revision lessons for this purpose. You should be studying at home on top of this.

What are you going to do at home? Sleep until midday, eat, then do some work? Nah - just stay in school.
    I actually get a lot more work done at home. I am certainly not sleeping till midday messing about. It depends your own work ethic but some of the lessons are actually getting so pointless now. I can do past papers at home, and I finished making notes the syllabus a while ago so there is no point in just going to lessons for the sake of it. I find that my time is much better spent going over notes and revising over them at this stage, reducing commuting time and maximising productivity (I get all my work done at home, I can't stand trying to revise in school or the library).

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where you're studying but our lecture slides on have about 50% of the required content on them, so you have to go and make notes AND do further reading around the topic or you're a bit screwed.

Definitely better to do work at home. You go through what you need to go through and don't waste time doing stuff you already know. You don't have to waste time between lessons. Can go to the toilet whenever you want.
    I always joke about this with my friends. School for me and most people I know does the opposite of what it is designed to do.
    Yeah, lol. I never would've thought school would actually hinder the speed of my learning / studying.

(Original post by RachaelBee)
    Not sure where you're studying but our lecture slides on have about 50% of the required content on them, so you have to go and make notes AND do further reading around the topic or you're a bit screwed.
    I'm only doing A2 so that's not really an issue. At uni, whether or not going to every lecture is worth it will depend more on the uni you go to, the course you are doing and the quality / type of lecturer you have. But at this stage, they are national exams so I feel like you really don't need them in some cases (certainly at this stage in the year)

ReputationRep:
    I'm only doing A2 so that's not really an issue. At uni, whether or not going to every lecture is worth it will depend more on the uni you go to, the course you are doing and the quality / type of lecturer you have. But at this stage, they are national exams so I feel like you really don't need them in some cases (certainly at this stage in the year)
    Ah fair, I self taught A levels!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.