The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Applicants - 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Khanman123
thanks bruh, how many applicants per place would u say there are.

No idea, wouldn't want to speculate. Just be aware that such positions are going to be highly competitive.

and are there many sick companies that pay well?

Not sure, but generally oil & gas as at the top of the table in terms of salaries.
Original post by Smack
No idea, wouldn't want to speculate. Just be aware that such positions are going to be highly competitive.

Not sure, but generally oil & gas as at the top of the table in terms of salaries.

Alright, cheers
thanks bruh, how many applicants per place would u say there are. and are there many sick companies that pay well?

This year at EMEC, Exxon said they had 80 placements including summer and year in industry. Considering this includes HR, business and all engineering disciplines that doesn't leave many chemical engineering placements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys when do we find out about and can apply for student loans??
anyone on here applied for the foundation year?
Original post by dylanmcintyre

Yep, applied for foundation course at Manchester and Nottingham and normal courses at UCL, QM and Loughborough
Original post by dylanmcintyre

yep foundation for manchester but normal for HWU SU EU LU
Original post by BluntBluster

Help pls
Original post by BluntBluster

I *think* it's April when applications open for 2017/18.

But info is already available on the SFE site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
oi gimp bois, need some help yh. anyone of you lot done a placement, if yes, how hard is it to get one at exxon ( or any other bossy company), heard they pay like 26k and like 38500 for a graduate job.

yeah man its ****ing well hard to get one. I was near top of my course and couldn't bag an interview. Imagine, there's nearly 7000 chemeng students able to apply, probs half apply to exxon, bp and shell for about 10 places at each one, so about 1% chance of getting in.

I reckon now there's so many chem eng competition for the FTSE/Forbes list companies is similar to high finance and if you check out linkedin they all seem to have target unis too.

Remember if you do placement year you earn over two tax years so your effective salary is higher than it looks, but generally top payers are i.e >30k grad salary.

P&G, Exxon, Shell, BP, Johnson Matthey, Phillips 66, Essar

The Pharma companies like AstraZeneca and GSK pay a little lower but still good.
Original post by neosynth
yeah man its ****ing well hard to get one. I was near top of my course and couldn't bag an interview. Imagine, there's nearly 7000 chemeng students able to apply, probs half apply to exxon, bp and shell for about 10 places at each one, so about 1% chance of getting in.

I reckon now there's so many chem eng competition for the FTSE/Forbes list companies is similar to high finance and if you check out linkedin they all seem to have target unis too.

Remember if you do placement year you earn over two tax years so your effective salary is higher than it looks, but generally top payers are i.e >30k grad salary.

P&G, Exxon, Shell, BP, Johns
on Matthey, Phillips 66, Essar

The Pharma companies like AstraZeneca and GSK pay a little lower but still good.

What are the target unis then?

Cheers, why do you think Imperial aren't targeted as much as Manc or Notts?
Original post by timster32
Cheers, why do you think Imperial aren't targeted as much as Manc or Notts?

Its engineering careers fair probably attracts as many engineering firms as anyone else. The High Fliers link only refers to the hundred employers mentioned in the Times 100.
Original post by neosynth

Can u explain this bit plz, I'm a bit retarded
what unis re you guys waiting to here back from? For me its:
UCL
Imperial
Birmingham
Yo, will Manchester let me do the yini course even though I applied to the normal meng, can I just switch when I get there or do I have to go into adjustment.
Original post by Garvey1998
what unis re you guys waiting to here back from? For me its:
UCL
Imperial
Birmingham

Bath and Cambridge for me
Yo, will Manchester let me do the yini course even though I applied to the normal meng, can I just switch when I get there or do I have to go into adjustment.

you will be able to change once you're on the course :smile:

Switch when your there bro.

Quick Reply

Latest