The Student Room Group

I'm rich but bored and lonely, what should I do?

Hi, i'm new here but was just wondering if someone had some advice. I left university about a year ago to set up some apps / web businesses that are now making me about £250k p/a passively. I recently started renting an apartment in Amsterdam as it looks like a fun place, however I am really bored and lonely. I have no friends that I kept from University / school, and it's pretty difficult for me to make friends / go clubbing as i'm kind of socially awkward, and i'm allergic to alcohol which really doesn't help. I don't look amazing (I don't think i'm really ugly but also don't look 'hot'), so it's also difficult for me to find a girlfriend as people have also said I have a boring personality. On Tinder I get pretty much no matches. Does anyone know what I can do to start making more friends and maybe find a girlfriend? I'm 21 by the way. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

fraud. No one on £250k can ever claim to be "bored and lonely". With all the responsibility that comes from running businesses I'm surprised you even have the cheek to come on here and say such things.
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
fraud. No one on £250k can ever claim to be "bored and lonely". With all the responsibility that comes from running businesses I'm surprised you even have the cheek to come on here and say such things.

I'm not really sure what you mean, but like I said, it's passive, meaning it runs on it's own, and I only have a few meetings a month. I literally have no real friends, I just want some advice for what I can do to make some and especially find a girlfriend. Tinder doesn't do anything for me.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not really sure what you mean, but like I said, it's passive, meaning it runs on it's own, and I only have a few meetings a month. I literally have no real friends, I just want some advice for what I can do to make some and especially find a girlfriend. Tinder doesn't do anything for me.

Do you not make the effort to go to tech conventions to market your products? Not only will you make more money from your business, but over time you'll know how to talk to people.
Hi, i'm new here but was just wondering if someone had some advice. I left university about a year ago to set up some apps / web businesses that are now making me about £250k p/a passively. I recently started renting an apartment in Amsterdam as it looks like a fun place, however I am really bored and lonely. I have no friends that I kept from University / school, and it's pretty difficult for me to make friends / go clubbing as i'm kind of socially awkward, and i'm allergic to alcohol which really doesn't help. I don't look amazing (I don't think i'm really ugly but also don't look 'hot':wink:, so it's also difficult for me to find a girlfriend as people have also said I have a boring personality. On Tinder I get pretty much no matches. Does anyone know what I can do to start making more friends and maybe find a girlfriend? I'm 21 by the way. Thanks

You could join a sugar baby/daddy site :wink:
Become friends with other rich people, there will probs be parties. Put yourself out there.

This reminds me of a girl I was involved with. She had this secret male friend who came from a rich family and he had no one else in his life apart from her. He lived a really sad life, no college/uni, no friends, sat at home all day buying things online. She'd feed his ego and he would send her money all the time on Paypal. Their friendship was so toxic.

My advice to you is stop letting your money define you if you really want a genuine connection with someone.
Why did you lose contact with uni friends? If it's because of the 2rich4u mentality, then again that's something you need to work on.

You can make friends online, such as on this or through FB groups that interest you.

You say people find you boring, you have to ask yourself why? Are you bad at holding a convo? What is it about you that people don't like?
Reply 7
Hi, i'm new here but was just wondering if someone had some advice. I left university about a year ago to set up some apps / web businesses that are now making me about £250k p/a passively. I recently started renting an apartment in Amsterdam as it looks like a fun place, however I am really bored and lonely. I have no friends that I kept from University / school, and it's pretty difficult for me to make friends / go clubbing as i'm kind of socially awkward, and i'm allergic to alcohol which really doesn't help. I don't look amazing (I don't think i'm really ugly but also don't look 'hot':wink:, so it's also difficult for me to find a girlfriend as people have also said I have a boring personality. On Tinder I get pretty much no matches. Does anyone know what I can do to start making more friends and maybe find a girlfriend? I'm 21 by the way. Thanks

Send me all of your money, then you can be bored and poor and lonely (but at least you'll know that it has gone to a good cause?)
Reply 8
Forget the money and get some hobbies. You said you created some apps so I would assume you did it because you liked it so maybe create more. I personally love the process and you don't have to worry about it doing well.

Maybe you're into games? You can play them and join different communities. Soon enough you'll have a group of friends you play with.

Look at things going around nearby, maybe you can attend an arts class or something. Or join a social group. You don't have to go out partying if it's not your thing. Figure out what you enjoy doing and friends will show up.

If you want you can PM me a picture of your profile on tinder and I'll tell you as a girl why I wouldn't match with you
Reply 9
Why do you think your wealth is relevant?
Reply 10

Find a passion.
Sports are great, if you train a bit in a gym, and then join a local team, you can make friends in the team and have fun.
Music is also great, I spend whole evenings on the piano without realising it, and if you learn an orchestral/band instrument you can find local amateur groups to join and make friends that way.
Get away from the computer. Computers and games are fun, but eventually you get bored and have no-one to talk to and nothing to do.
Try and meet up with some old friends from school, connect through Facebook/ Twitter etc. if you have them, or even try and make a school reunion, and meet up with people you haven't seen in years.
Reading is a great way to take you to another place and it allows you to mentally experience the character's feelings (if the author is any good) and if you read things like crime thrillers etc. you are on edge constantly looking for evidence of who the killer is, so it keeps your mind active as well.
Sometimes collecting things can be interesting to others, so if you have an interest in stamps (IK really boring but just an example) you will find other people with the same interest and you can talk to them in depth about it.
Flying? This is really for the devoted or rich. But flying can be fun, in my family my brother flies gliders and my dad was for a long time a qualified light aircraft pilot. (Gliders being the cheaper option by far). But again this will introduce you to people it's social and it can be fun and quite tranquil.

I hope you find something. Good luck :smile:

Nobody on 250K a year should be bored really. Go and travel the world, see new stuff! That's what I'd do
there are plenty of ladies on TSR who would be willing to assist you in your predicament...
Reply 13
Sign up to a sugardaddy website and tell them how much you make. you will find yourself a hot girl in no time... but be prepared, you will have to buy her a lot of stuff
Go to Tape London

Spoiler

travel the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! eurgghhhhhhgfhfghsf how do people who are rich complain that they are bored when they can literally go wherever they want
Go on a date with me. I wouldn't mind going out with a sexy handsome man like yourself (with plenty of cash). I'll be able to afford my rent now.
set me some money and I'll be your friend :wink:
Original post by Reue
Why do you think your wealth is relevant?

Being rich and lonely is the worst combination
Go speed dating and see if you click with anyone. Don't mention the money . You don't need "friends" for the wrong reasons.*

Latest

Trending

Trending