Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Full Time Job - What Now? watch

Announcements
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    Hello,

    Earlier in the month, solely to try my luck, I applied for a graduate position in London without a degree. Somehow, after an intensive interview process, I have since been offered (and accepted) the full time position. Despite stating the requirement of a degree – and offering a graduate salary – since it’s in the television industry, there is more scope for flexibility.

    For years I have been geared towards university and currently hold an AAB offer. Now I have this job, circumstances have drastically changed – so what do I do?

    Ideally, I would like to defer my place on results day. Although I am unlikely to attend next year, I would like to have that option in place to have myself covered. My problem is that on results day I will be working in London, and cannot get it off.

    Because of this, I won’t know my results until later in the evening; and I obviously do not want things to start moving regards accommodation and student finance. I am worried that if I defer now, they may withdraw their offer entirely, or simply not make me one. I want to wait until results day; get the grades; have a secured place but then defer it. That is my plan.

    How do you all suggest I approach this? I’m feeling a bit lost and would appreciate any advice

    Can I also just add that I was always very committed to going to university. This opportunity - whilst fantastic - has really altered my future, and so I am having to quickly adjust. I was excited for university but realistically, I cannot turn down a graduate employment offer that essentially propels me three years forwards without any debt.
    Online

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EddyEagal)
    Hello,

    Earlier in the month, solely to try my luck, I applied for a graduate position in London without a degree. Somehow, after an intensive interview process, I have since been offered (and accepted) the full time position. Despite stating the requirement of a degree – and offering a graduate salary – since it’s in the television industry, there is more scope for flexibility.

    For years I have been geared towards university and currently hold an AAB offer. Now I have this job, circumstances have drastically changed – so what do I do?

    Ideally, I would like to defer my place on results day. Although I am unlikely to attend next year, I would like to have that option in place to have myself covered. My problem is that on results day I will be working in London, and cannot get it off.

    Because of this, I won’t know my results until later in the evening; and I obviously do not want things to start moving regards accommodation and student finance. I am worried that if I defer now, they may withdraw their offer entirely, or simply not make me one. I want to wait until results day; get the grades; have a secured place but then defer it. That is my plan.

    How do you all suggest I approach this? I’m feeling a bit lost and would appreciate any advice

    Can I also just add that I was always very committed to going to university. This opportunity - whilst fantastic - has really altered my future, and so I am having to quickly adjust. I was excited for university but realistically, I cannot turn down a graduate employment offer that essentially propels me three years forwards without any debt.
    Defer now if that's what you want. The uni cannot withdraw their offer for this year, though they could decline to defer you. If you wait until results day they are less likely to accommodate your request as it makes it more difficult for them to fill your place (aka get the money).
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Defer now if that's what you want. The uni cannot withdraw their offer for this year, though they could decline to defer you. If you wait until results day they are less likely to accommodate your request as it makes it more difficult for them to fill your place (aka get the money).
    But if I ask to defer now, they may simply not make me an offer come results day if I fall a little short of the grades. Whereas if I wait till results day and let them secure my place, they are likely to be more lenient in giving me a place if they know it's secured - and once this happens (a confirmed place), deferring may be easier.
    Online

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EddyEagal)
    But if I ask to defer now, they may simply not make me an offer come results day if I fall a little short of the grades. Whereas if I wait till results day and let them secure my place, they are likely to be more lenient in giving me a place if they know it's secured - and once this happens (a confirmed place), deferring may be easier.
    That's possible, I suppose. In which case, just ring and ask to be deferred the day after you get your results. If they agree, that's fine; if they don't you can withdraw and reapply if you want for 2017.
    • Section Leader
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by EddyEagal)
    But if I ask to defer now, they may simply not make me an offer come results day if I fall a little short of the grades. Whereas if I wait till results day and let them secure my place, they are likely to be more lenient in giving me a place if they know it's secured - and once this happens (a confirmed place), deferring may be easier.
    No. They are no more or less "lenient" if you defer. If you want to defer, tell them now.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Offline

    14
    ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd just cancel your application all together as there's no point deferring if you're unlikely to go as you're just gonna have to go through all the cancelling again.

    If you decide you want to go to uni later on then reapply next year, if not enjoy your career.
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    If I were you I'd just cancel your application all together as there's no point deferring if you're unlikely to go as you're just gonna have to go through all the cancelling again.

    If you decide you want to go to uni later on then reapply next year, if not enjoy your career.
    Yes, if you got a uni offer without the work experience, you're just as likely if not more to get one with some work experience under your belt, if after a year or so of work you decide uni would really add something. But you have a graduate job with no graduate debt, I bet you'll never bother with uni now!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by EddyEagal)
    Hello,

    Earlier in the month, solely to try my luck, I applied for a graduate position in London without a degree. Somehow, after an intensive interview process, I have since been offered (and accepted) the full time position. Despite stating the requirement of a degree – and offering a graduate salary – since it’s in the television industry, there is more scope for flexibility.

    For years I have been geared towards university and currently hold an AAB offer. Now I have this job, circumstances have drastically changed – so what do I do?

    Ideally, I would like to defer my place on results day. Although I am unlikely to attend next year, I would like to have that option in place to have myself covered. My problem is that on results day I will be working in London, and cannot get it off.

    Because of this, I won’t know my results until later in the evening; and I obviously do not want things to start moving regards accommodation and student finance. I am worried that if I defer now, they may withdraw their offer entirely, or simply not make me one. I want to wait until results day; get the grades; have a secured place but then defer it. That is my plan.

    How do you all suggest I approach this? I’m feeling a bit lost and would appreciate any advice

    Can I also just add that I was always very committed to going to university. This opportunity - whilst fantastic - has really altered my future, and so I am having to quickly adjust. I was excited for university but realistically, I cannot turn down a graduate employment offer that essentially propels me three years forwards without any debt.
    UCAS updates at 9AM. You'll know which uni you'll be going to (if you get either choices), but you won't be knowing your grades.

    Get someone on the behalf of yourself to collect your results and tell you either over the phone or text maybe?

    Or if possible, phone in the school and have a member of staff tell you?
    • Section Leader
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    UCAS updates at 9AM.
    Actually UCAS updates at 8am.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jneill)
    Actually UCAS updates at 8am.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even better.

    I still remember pulling an all-nighter when I awaited my A-level/Uni Results!
 
 
 
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.