The Student Room Group

Student finance Oversight - ineligible Appeal

Hello, I am an EU citizen with pre-settled status. I am currently midway through my Foundation year, having received full student support approval in June 2023 and commencing my course in August 2023. Last week, during the second semester, I was informed by SFE that I am ineligible for student support for 23/24 academic year. As of now, I can only reapply in the next academic year, 24/25. This is based on not meeting the requirement of continuous residence in the UK/EU for three years before the first day of the course because I resided in South Africa before moving to the UK. As a result, I am liable to pay back the initial instalment received for maintenance and tuition fees.

While I acknowledge that this rule regulation forms part of legislation, my application was submitted with complete transparency and honesty. The information provided confirmed my arrival in England on 12/12/2020, and SFE initially found me eligible for full support.

Prior to being approved for student finance, I held two jobs one part-time and another full-time. To accommodate full-time studies - I dropped my full-time job due to its lack of flexibility for part-time hours because I was confident that I was meeting my responsibilities as a student so student funding would continue. I made significant life adjustments to commit to full-time education. I am now currently residing in the UK for three years since the 12/12/2023, I now face an interruption in my studies and financial losses due to an oversight on SFE's part.

I have been informed by SFE that I can appeal this decision, and I plan to do so. While uncertain about the strength of my case given the enforcement of the correct process that was initially overlooked, I am curious if others have encountered a similar situation. Has anyone successfully appealed in a similar situation, and what were the outcomes?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Original post by Nads88
Hello, I am an EU citizen with pre-settled status. I am currently midway through my Foundation year, having received full student support approval in June 2023 and commencing my course in August 2023. Last week, during the second semester, I was informed by SFE that I am ineligible for student support for 23/24 academic year. As of now, I can only reapply in the next academic year, 24/25. This is based on not meeting the requirement of continuous residence in the UK/EU for three years before the first day of the course because I resided in South Africa before moving to the UK. As a result, I am liable to pay back the initial instalment received for maintenance and tuition fees.

While I acknowledge that this rule regulation forms part of legislation, my application was submitted with complete transparency and honesty. The information provided confirmed my arrival in England on 12/12/2020, and SFE initially found me eligible for full support.

Prior to being approved for student finance, I held two jobs one part-time and another full-time. To accommodate full-time studies - I dropped my full-time job due to its lack of flexibility for part-time hours because I was confident that I was meeting my responsibilities as a student so student funding would continue. I made significant life adjustments to commit to full-time education. I am now currently residing in the UK for three years since the 12/12/2023, I now face an interruption in my studies and financial losses due to an oversight on SFE's part.

I have been informed by SFE that I can appeal this decision, and I plan to do so. While uncertain about the strength of my case given the enforcement of the correct process that was initially overlooked, I am curious if others have encountered a similar situation. Has anyone successfully appealed in a similar situation, and what were the outcomes?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi there,

If you wish to make an appeal you can send this to us via email. You should input your customer reference number in the subject headed when sending us your email. When submitting your appeal you will need to give us details of the award you are appealing, and why you consider our decision to be wrong. You should also enclose any evidence which supports your case. Once received it can take 40+ working days to process.

[email protected]

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending