The Student Room Group

Should I get a new driving instructor??

So here's a potted history of my journey so far learning to drive.

I started my lessons in August 2014 (yes- two years ago..!!) but have had about 4 months worth of breaks - whether through illness or holidays etc. I would estimate I have had 160 hours of worth of lessons.

He has always been a good instructor, has taught me everything I need to know. Now, I have had four tests in the past 6 months & unfortunately have failed all - for silly things, all for one major, all for different reasons. These include: messing up a paralell park (we've all been there), missing "do not stop" hatched markings & stopping on them, indicating early at a roundabout (would have been a minor but there was a car behind me unfortunately so it was made a serious) & drifting slightly to the right while trying to work out where a turning was, and the examiner having to grab the wheel as a result. (this was a subconscious reaction of my hands following my eyes... grrr)

In my latest test yesterday, I actually halved the amount of minors I got previously. I got 4 minors, & 1 major. In my previous test I had got 5 minors for not checking mirrors before indicating, and i'd got this down to 3 so was trying to take this as a positive. I only got 1 other minor in this latest test for gears. That was down to nerves alone. A good effort, I thought. The maneuver (reverse around a corner) also went perfectly.

Anyway, I was disappointed, but happy that I had made progress & felt I had tried my best, even if I failed for one stupid thing. However, my driving instructor almost made me cry with his constant negativity on the drive home. For example, when I was saying how I was pleased with the reduced minors in mirror checks his response was "well, I'd have liked to have seen 0 minors there on THE FIRST TEST" and I was just like "oh ok." It was this sort of thing all the way back. He wouldn't say anything positive about it.

He said on that journey home that he wants me to have two months worth of "intensive, exam condition-like" lessons before my next test in November. We have never done a mock - I tried to suggest it before my first test but he quickly dismissed the idea. We have never, ever practiced test routes. I don't think I am a bad driver - I know I can drive, so found this reaction about the extra lessons a little overboard...??

I just get the feeling he's getting fed up with me and it's upsetting. I texted him yesterday to apologize if I had frustrated him by failing AGAIN, and to tell him my next test date. He never replied.

What should I do? He's got 5 stars online, but he encourages pupils who have passed to rate him 5 stars. I don't know what to do...
Original post by N10101
So here's a potted history of my journey so far learning to drive.

I started my lessons in August 2014 (yes- two years ago..!!) but have had about 4 months worth of breaks - whether through illness or holidays etc. I would estimate I have had 160 hours of worth of lessons.

He has always been a good instructor, has taught me everything I need to know. Now, I have had four tests in the past 6 months & unfortunately have failed all - for silly things, all for one major, all for different reasons. These include: messing up a paralell park (we've all been there), missing "do not stop" hatched markings & stopping on them, indicating early at a roundabout (would have been a minor but there was a car behind me unfortunately so it was made a serious) & drifting slightly to the right while trying to work out where a turning was, and the examiner having to grab the wheel as a result. (this was a subconscious reaction of my hands following my eyes... grrr)

In my latest test yesterday, I actually halved the amount of minors I got previously. I got 4 minors, & 1 major. In my previous test I had got 5 minors for not checking mirrors before indicating, and i'd got this down to 3 so was trying to take this as a positive. I only got 1 other minor in this latest test for gears. That was down to nerves alone. A good effort, I thought. The maneuver (reverse around a corner) also went perfectly.

Anyway, I was disappointed, but happy that I had made progress & felt I had tried my best, even if I failed for one stupid thing. However, my driving instructor almost made me cry with his constant negativity on the drive home. For example, when I was saying how I was pleased with the reduced minors in mirror checks his response was "well, I'd have liked to have seen 0 minors there on THE FIRST TEST" and I was just like "oh ok." It was this sort of thing all the way back. He wouldn't say anything positive about it.

He said on that journey home that he wants me to have two months worth of "intensive, exam condition-like" lessons before my next test in November. We have never done a mock - I tried to suggest it before my first test but he quickly dismissed the idea. We have never, ever practiced test routes. I don't think I am a bad driver - I know I can drive, so found this reaction about the extra lessons a little overboard...??

I just get the feeling he's getting fed up with me and it's upsetting. I texted him yesterday to apologize if I had frustrated him by failing AGAIN, and to tell him my next test date. He never replied.

What should I do? He's got 5 stars online, but he encourages pupils who have passed to rate him 5 stars. I don't know what to do...

Wow, very supportive of him! You have a choice. You can either stick it out with him, or go with a new instructor. I'd suggest a new instructor because really, a bad attitude like that from your instructor isn't going to get you anywhere. It might be worth calling a few instructors in your local area and explaining your situation and asking if they could help. It might be difficult going with someone new, but having an attitude like that is awful and honestly it sounds very expensive to pay for 2 more months of intensive lessons. I can understand why he may be frustrated, but he has no right to take that out on you like that and be so rude. I hope you figure this out, and good luck with your driving!
I can see why he's getting frustrated, that's a LOT of lessons and you shouldn't be getting minors for mirror checks by now. However, it's hard to say whether it's you, or whether it's him just not teaching you well. My instructor simply would not let me forget to check my mirrors and drilled it into my head. Even did a 'commentated drive' where I drove and he basically talked non-stop for 15 minutes with his thought processes to show me how on-the-ball you need to be and how often you should be checking your mirrors.

I'd advise getting a new instructor and seeing how it goes. Even with gaps inbetween your lessons, you shouldn't be going that rusty that you've needed 160 hours of lessons, that's insane. You don't just forget how to drive even after years of no driving. Pretty sure if you try someone else, they might be able to correct you on the mistakes you're making :smile:
He shouldn't take his frustration out on you. I'd say look for instructors in your local area and explain the situation to them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Get a new instructor!!! After 160 hours he's taught you all that he can. I found that having a fresh set of eyes analysing and correcting my driving really helped a lot after I failed my first test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending