The Student Room Group

Roughly how much would driving lessons cost in total?

Are they really over £1000 in total? I assumed you would only need around 20-30 lessons. The instructor I'm thinking of going with charges £20 a lesson.
Original post by Blyts-_
Are they really over £1000 in total? I assumed you would only need around 20-30 lessons. The instructor I'm thinking of going with charges £20 a lesson.

I believe I spent around £1500 on driving lessons altogether. I had around 65 hours of lessons in total (with no practice outside lessons) and passed both my theory and practical tests first time. It depends how quickly you progress and how confident you are really. It took me a lot of lessons before I felt confident enough to drive on the main roads, but I progressed quickly once I'd managed to overcome my nerves :smile:
My instructor said that in general people need 40 hours of practise. I did about 20 1 hour lessons (£20 each), and took out learner driver insurance for 6 months so I could drive my parents car
So for me that was £400 for lessons, and about £355 for learner driver. Add on the theory and practical (about £90 in total if you go for the cheapest times), and I guess it cost about £850 altogether.
I paid £15 an hour and did 2hours a week so £30 a week

For 6months

So it cost me £780 plus test fees I took my test 3 times passed at 3rd try though, not my instructors fault I just have bad nerves sometimes.
I paid for 5 got one free, 20 quid each.

I think in the end I must have done at least 30-40 lessons.

Passed theory first time, and Practical 2nd time (but I didn't have lessons in between my practicals).
(edited 7 years ago)
It varies on how quick the individual learns I suppose. I failed my 2nd test today through making stupid mistakes/slight nerves (not blaming my instructor) and now have to wait until my next test. So really depends on how quick you learn, and how many attempts it takes for you to pass your test :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Spent £680 in total.
I've had 19 hours so far (paid for two 10hr block lessons for £220 so I've spent £450 so far including £10 for the starter lesson. My instructor thinks I'll need 30-35 hrs so I'll probably end up spending around 800 assuming I pass my practical first time
Reply 8
Think about how much any professional pays to a tutor or coach to learn their craft. Many pay thousands, even tens of thousands. In comparison, spending just over a grand to learn a life skill like driving isn't that much. Besides, you don't pay it all at once. If I told you that your annual supermarket / grocery bill ends up more than a thousand pounds over the year, you'd be horrified, but you only spend it in bits every few days or every week. Driving lessons are no different. Pay weekly, or in chunks per month to get discounts, but look no further than that.

If you're comfortable with your weekly / monthly outlay, then carry on as you are, and you'll pass your test when you're ready, however long it takes.
Reply 9
It really depends on how many lessons you need.

I had 17 lessons before I passed @ 21 pound so I spent around 360 + 23 (theory) + 124 (two tests) = 507.
Original post by EuanA29
It really depends on how many lessons you need.

I had 17 lessons before I passed @ 21 pound so I spent around 360 + 23 (theory) + 124 (two tests) = 507.

Wow, how did you manage to pass with so few lessons
Reply 11
Original post by cherryred90s
Wow, how did you manage to pass with so few lessons

Hi there,

I passed in just under 8 months. I had 1 lesson a week, but took the exam period off and part of the summer. The instructor I had was absolutely fantastic, and I couldn't fault him. It took me 4 months to finally do my theory because I realised that I had to do that! I also tried to do a bit of practising in my parents car, but I was learning in a Diesel and this car was a Petrol so I quite quickly became confused between the two!

I failed my first test and then took 5 weeks off because I couldn't get a test until 8 weeks later (the instructor bought a new car during this period) , so I picked up after that and everything was great!
Reply 12
I had 12 hours of lessons and passed first time (1 minor). Did 3 hour long lessons on 4 consecutive days, with test on the 4th day. Total for the lessons was around 220 quid. But I organised the lessons through a 1 week intensive course company, they book your theory and practical tests, and organise an instructor from a local driving school for you. For which I paid the company about 350 quid (test costs included). I wouldn't recommend doing that, as I could have booked the tests myself, and organised my own instructor and saved myself cash and time in the process. I would recommend doing it all in one go, in the long run I think it works out much cheaper.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending