The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
No reason why you shouldn't find something on the day, especially if you've done your homework:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9395012#post9395012

Some unis also put their entry requirements on the Clearing page so you can see at a glance whether it's worth your while calling them.
Reply 101
Bigfoot
Do you need to have your PS to hand? What do you have to say etc... what do you need with you.

Best reply gets rep :biggrin:
See Juno's sticky; it's all there.
Ive read through that, great stuff, very helpful :biggrin: I have another Clearing related question: I sent my [late] application off to UCAS last week and have yet to receive that welcome letter from them- do I have to wait for that letter in order to be eligible for Clearing?
Reply 103
You'll need your UCAS number so that unis you are talking to can call up your application, but if you haven't received your welcome letter by Wednesday you could always ring UCAS to check what's happening. If you don't have your number there doesn't seem to be anything to stop you from ringing unis anyway, but of course nothing can be confirmed until you send in your Clearing Passport.
Hello everyone.

I have a dilemma!

Basically i applied to UCAS for this year to do psychology, but decided that i wanted a gap year and withdrew my application. I was planning to apply for 2008 for a completely different course, but due to unfortunate circumstances my gap year plans have gone down the drain!

I was just wondering if its possible if i can go through clearing without applying to ucas, for example - direct through the university?

Im wanting to do religious studies at kent, as far as im aware its not a very popular course, so im hoping they will have vacancies.

Im a bit scared! xx
So if, even after calling up I dont receive my letter by Thurs. max, can I call up Unis anyway? I realise that the Clearing Passport is needed for confimation.
Reply 106
Don't see any reason why not - the worst they can say is "we can't talk to you unless you have your UCAS number" - in which case you get on to UCAS pronto and insist they tell you what it is.
I was just wondering if, I don't get the grades for my Firm but get higher grades than needed for my insurance, would I be able to get released and apply for a course at a better uni through clearing?
I think, if you ring them after results and make clear you don't want to go, they probably will release you, although because the UCAS thing is like a contract, they're under no obligation to release you (that may be something my head of year said to scare us though :biggrin:)
Reply 109
Once your in clearing, can you apply for unis that are higher then your orginal firm and insurance offers? If your firm and insurance rejected you. For instance, if my orginal offer was 260 and 240. If i apply through clearing for a 280 uni. Is there any chance of getting in?
Reply 110
kw2005
Don't see any reason why not - the worst they can say is "we can't talk to you unless you have your UCAS number" - in which case you get on to UCAS pronto and insist they tell you what it is.

I a working in a clearing call centre from Thursday and Friday and through the training we were taught that although it helps to have your UCAS number, it isn't essential - the uni can still process your application without it.
Reply 111
I am working in a clearing call centre this year at a uni and we can process your application whether you have applied through UCAS or not. It just gets processed that you applied direct to the university.
Thankyou for your reply! You've given me a bit of hope!

I'll probably give the uni a ring and ask about it, just to make sure.

Thankyou again!
Reply 113
s_k
I am working in a clearing call centre this year at a uni and we can process your application whether you have applied through UCAS or not. It just gets processed that you applied direct to the university.

That's rubbish.

You cannot go through Clearing without a clearing passport.
You can't get a clearing passport without going through UCAS.
I called them. It is possible. Im quite suprised!

Yay! All i need now is the grades...
Reply 115
Hi there

atm i'm offered ABB from Queen Mary for English Literature.

I'm not happy with that offer, but its all i have, but i think that i am on track to exceed that offer quite a bit.

Lets say i get AAA because god loves me, then how do i try and get into a better uni without waiting an extra year. I was told that i would have to withdraw my application from QM and then go into clearing, but that is kinda risky!

I've scoured the internet for information on this, bt my case seems to be very very unusaul

I beg for help!

vithuran
Reply 116
It's very very very very rare for a uni offering AAA to be in clearing. I'd wait an extra year and get an unconditional from a better uni.
Reply 117
in order to do it, you'd have to get released from QMU, but in clearing, although there are many good courses, you're unlikely to find the top top unis, especially for a subject as competitive as English Literature.

I'm sorry it's not the advice you're looking for, but if you want to aim higher, the only way really is to take a year out, and reapply with your grades. Think it over during the next day or two - if you don't think you'd be happy at QMU, or always feel you sold yourself short, then take a year out, rather than wasting time and money there.
Reply 118
Hi,
Basically just after a bit of information regarding the clearing process.

In regards to the letter i received recently.

I have chosen my first 2 Uni's:
1)Sheffield
2) Wolverhampton

What if i decide to not go to either of these universities.

But achieve the grades required to go to both.

Is there a way to apply for another university?

(Hope this is understandable)

Many thanks all
Reply 119
You have to ring not only your firm, but also your insurance choices and ask them to release you.

They're under no obligation to release you, and on results day it won't be their highest priority.

Latest

Trending

Trending