The Student Room Group

Phoning up the uni!? Advice on what to say...

Ok, say you don't get into your firm choice, you automatically have to accept or reject your insurance.

Before that is it possible to call up your Firm university choice and beg for the place!? (and this is provided I miss a grade by very little, not completely failed)

-What kind of things would you have to tell them?
-Is it useful to have the telephone numbers of the particular departments
handy before hand?
- If I have accomodation/halls sorted out, is it worth mentioning that to them?
- They have also asked a higher grade requirement than the minimum grade requirement for the course. Could I explain that?

-What is the procedure if they do decide to accept you after the appeal? Do you have to go back through clearing? Or will they change your UCAS back to accepted?

Scroll to see replies

xrayzulu
Ok, say you don't get into your firm choice, you automatically have to accept or reject your insurance.

Before that is it possible to call up your Firm university choice and beg for the place!? (and this is provided I miss a grade by very little, not completely failed)

handy before hand?
- They have also asked a higher grade requirement than the minimum grade requirement for the course. Could I explain that?
-What is the procedure if they do decide to accept you after the appeal? Do you have to go back through clearing? Or will they change your UCAS back to accepted?

I'm sure they would be fully aware of that and it could fully well influence their decision.
Reply 2
I'm just going to sob down the phone, and if they still reject me, a few days later they'll be recieving an envelope full of my hair with a note saying "Look what you made me do!"
Reply 3
Let us know how you get on and what they say lol, I think I might have to end up doing that...
Reply 4
Haha I don't think hair shows enough dedication. I'd sent a severed little finger if I were you. Now that'd get their attention... xxx
Phoning up the uni!? Advice on what to say...

Don't worry about what you're going to say.

Just relax and listen to the music for a bit....
then a bit more ....
then a bit more ....

Then hang up and try again,
and just relax and listen to the music for a bit....
then a bit more ....
then a bit more ....
-Anything that could sway them in your favour. Did you only miss your offer by a few UMS marks? Did you get a high UMS mark in the subject you applied for? Did you pass any AEAs that you didn't tell the uni you were taking? Have you done any impressive volunteer work/work experience related to the course you want to study? Did you have any extenuating circumstances that affected your grades? (Although if you did, you really should have told them by now.) What's so special about that uni? Why do you want to do the course?
-Yes, look at the prospectus/website and get the number for either general undergraduate admissions, your department or preferably your departmental admissions. You'll be passed on to the person you need to speak to anyway.
-I don't see why. Everyone who has chosen the uni as firm will have accommodation sorted out and they can't take everyone who missed their offer, so that's not exactly a reason for them to take you.
-You could, but at the end of the day, the typical offer is only a guide and unis are free to modify it however they like for individual applicants. You've still missed your offer, whether it was higher than normal or not. But if the typical offer was BBB, yours was ABB, you got BBB and someone with the typical offer got BBC, you'd be in a stronger position.
Reply 7
xrayzulu

handy before hand?

Could somebody confirm this, the bold part?

I think if i miss my firm, i want to resit rather than go to my insurance. I was under the impression that i would have to ask to be released from my insurance.
Reply 8
GrantMac
Could somebody confirm this, the bold part?

I think if i miss my firm, i want to resit rather than go to my insurance. I was under the impression that i would have to ask to be released from my insurance.

If you want to resit and not go to uni this year then you can just withdraw your whole application. I think there's a link in track which lets you do it.
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies.

Another question. What time will the admissions be taking telephone calls? Would it be to early to phone the uni before going to pick up your results and know whether you have been accepted?
Reply 10
its better to get your results then come back and decide what to do, and ring the uni. Don't and i emphasise this take any rash decisions, take a deep breath and make sure you are saying and doing the right thing. Universities know your academic recoreds in my experience they are looking for your passion of the uni and the subject you need to get that accross when you speak to them. And more better if you had any problems that may of affected your results. Good luck
Reply 11
Thelfo
I'm just going to sob down the phone, and if they still reject me, a few days later they'll be recieving an envelope full of my hair with a note saying "Look what you made me do!"

LOL i think you'll make them think that you're a psycho.
Can someone answer this for me: Is it worth begging on the phone if it's already on track as unsuccessful? By this I mean is it too late? Can unsuccessful change after they've already told ucas?
Reply 13
The university's should already have the results. They've already worked out how many people have missed their grades and how many places on the course they can fill.
That's the worrying thing bargaining with them on results day when they have already had time to make up their mind seems a bit pointless to me.
If you missed your grades and they accept you anyway fair enough.
I have so many friends telling me
'Oh I'll just cry hysterically on the phone to them it'll be alright'
I really doubt it.
Like people above have said you'd have to be really level headed and confident on the phone to sway anybody.
Reply 14
you're scaring me mate lol, my insurance is a foundation course tho, if my grades are still poor, would they still reject me!?
Reply 15
haha i dunno every place has their own rules. I'm not saying if you miss your offer they will reject you. Because many uni's accept you even if you miss a grade. Though if they decide to reject you flat out and you read 'unsuccesful' on track i don't think there's much leeway.

You should be fine :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 16
lol hope so.
Question again, that was un-answerd

What time will the admissions be taking telephone calls? Would it be to early to phone the uni before going to pick up your results and know whether you have been accepted? 8am? 9am? Is that too early?
Reply 17
^ I think they may be annoyed!!
Just wait til after nine when you've got your results a few more minutes wait wont hurt :wink:

You can always check on track at 9am my friends last year found out on track before reults but not everybodies track had been updated that early.
I get my results at 9am at school anyway, and my head of 6th will be there phoning universities for people who have missed their offers and not sure if they're in.
So I'd say that 9am wouldnt be too early to phone.
8am probably would be too early though.
I rang up the uni of surrey today about a course I'm interested in and she told me if I don't get into my firm or insurance just to ring her up with all my details infront of me, and just be calm and not panic.

Latest

Trending

Trending