The Student Room Group

toxic parents - studying a levels2024

I’m in year 13 and my mum has expressed multiple times that she doesn’t care about my education and never lets me study she rips my study notes when I don’t do the chores & when I’m at home she forces me to clean, cook do the laundry etc… so I normally study at the library or stay behind at school but even then it’s hard to find time to actually revise properly since I have limited time or access to a quiet place with a computer ( I'm doing my UCAS application on my phone) is anyone going through the same thing or has been and would like to give me some advice because all this stress is making me want to give up.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in year 13 and my mum has expressed multiple times that she doesn’t care about my education and never lets me study she rips my study notes when I don’t do the chores & when I’m at home she forces me to clean, cook do the laundry etc… so I normally study at the library or stay behind at school but even then it’s hard to find time to actually revise properly since I have limited time or access to a quiet place with a computer ( I'm doing my UCAS application on my phone) is anyone going through the same thing or has been and would like to give me some advice because all this stress is making me want to give up.

first of all, WHAT IN THE WORLD is going on with ur mom. That is definetly not oksy especially not for you. I'm not in yr 13 (in year 11) but my advice to you is to keep doing you! You're obviously doing the right thing and the best thing for ur life ahead of you. It may be easier said than done but stand up for yourself or keep some notes away from ur mum for her to then start stress all over again. For me, my parents are the opposite: they want me to study 24/7 (literally) but they do sometimes tell me to help around a lot in the house. If you have a teacher or such possibilty, then you could arrange study sessions where you can study without any disturbance! but anyways, good luck to youuuuuuuu!

ur mum needs serious help. what kind of parent doesnt want their child studying and doing well in their education. she should be ashamed of herself.

Also, props to you for still persisting and tolerating her behavior's, ur doing the right thing and the work will pay off. I haven't been through the same thing so unfortunately i cant give you the best advice.

If your dad doesnt live with you, could you live with them or is he worse?

Is there any sort of way you could split up your revision like past papers in quiet/safe areas and then smaller bits like flashcards or podcasts at home?

You could listen to podcasts to school and on the way back so you can catch up on more information?

If you have any friends, ask they to do a study session so you can have an effective revsion session?

This may sound obvious and you may hate me for saying it but you should tell a teacher. Shes interfering with your learning and that could affect you not only academically but mentally.
What sort of uni are you planning on going to? I'm sure if your revsiing in your frees, after school and other places then your grades are okay. Im so sorry that this is happpening to you.
Reply 3
Original post by emilyboakye
first of all, WHAT IN THE WORLD is going on with ur mom. That is definetly not oksy especially not for you. I'm not in yr 13 (in year 11) but my advice to you is to keep doing you! You're obviously doing the right thing and the best thing for ur life ahead of you. It may be easier said than done but stand up for yourself or keep some notes away from ur mum for her to then start stress all over again. For me, my parents are the opposite: they want me to study 24/7 (literally) but they do sometimes tell me to help around a lot in the house. If you have a teacher or such possibilty, then you could arrange study sessions where you can study without any disturbance! but anyways, good luck to youuuuuuuu!

thank u so much for the reply 🩶🩶 im glad ur parents are the opposite it’s a good thing 😭 and yeah I will take ur advice with speaking to my teachers about finding a place to study and standing up for myself:/ good luck with ur GCSES I’m rooting for you all the best!!
Reply 4
ur mum needs serious help. what kind of parent doesnt want their child studying and doing well in their education. she should be ashamed of herself.

Also, props to you for still persisting and tolerating her behavior's, ur doing the right thing and the work will pay off. I haven't been through the same thing so unfortunately i cant give you the best advice.

If your dad doesnt live with you, could you live with them or is he worse?

Is there any sort of way you could split up your revision like past papers in quiet/safe areas and then smaller bits like flashcards or podcasts at home?

You could listen to podcasts to school and on the way back so you can catch up on more information?

If you have any friends, ask they to do a study session so you can have an effective revsion session?

This may sound obvious and you may hate me for saying it but you should tell a teacher. Shes interfering with your learning and that could affect you not only academically but mentally.
What sort of uni are you planning on going to? I'm sure if you’re revsiing in your frees, after school and other places then your grades are okay. Im so sorry that this is happpening to yo

thank you sm for the reply the first line really hit me since im so used to my mum’s behaviour that i find it odd when my friends tell me it’s not normal

my dad doesn’t live with me and he never has.

omg I’ve actually never thought about listening to podcasts on my way to school also splitting up my revision sounds like a great idea tysm!!!

5) I’ll try and do study sessions with my friends and i have been putting off speaking to my head of year but i really do need to.. im planning to go to Warwick university it’s my first choice and dream uni it’s out of London and has a great law school so yeah hopefully it all works out
Reply 5
my dad doesn’t live with me and he never has.

omg I’ve actually never thought about listening to podcasts on my way to school also splitting up my revision sounds like a great idea tysm!!!

5) I’ll try and do study sessions with my friends and i have been putting off speaking to my head of year but i really do need to.. im planning to go to Warwick university it’s my first choice and dream uni it’s out of London and has a great law school so yeah hopefully it all works out

Omg my response split to you might need to open the whole message
Reply 6

WOAAHHH that is soo strictt (for the wrong reasons) I hope u are coping well
I would say do ur chores before u do any school work/revision as this is one of the reasons she stops u from doing revision, in fact do more than what she expects u to do (as an attempt to get on her good side)

What A level subjects do u do?

I would say do ur notes online if u can then print it off as if she destroys them again u have a copy on a computer or something.
search notes online and print them off as rewriting notes is time wasting for u, EXAM PRACTICE
The fact that she doesnt care about ur education is soooooooooooo concerning to me and a parent should litr be the opposite.
I wish u all the best in ur studies.
Reply 7
Original post by studentr.3
WOAAHHH that is soo strictt (for the wrong reasons) I hope u are coping well
I would say do ur chores before u do any school work/revision as this is one of the reasons she stops u from doing revision, in fact do more than what she expects u to do (as an attempt to get on her good side)

What A level subjects do u do?

I would say do ur notes online if u can then print it off as if she destroys them again u have a copy on a computer or something.
search notes online and print them off as rewriting notes is time wasting for u, EXAM PRACTICE
The fact that she doesnt care about ur education is soooooooooooo concerning to me and a parent should litr be the opposite.
I wish u all the best in ur studies.

yeah I now do all my chores and more so she can let me study for the rest of the day
i do english lit , sociology & history
I’ve been keeping extra notes on my phone just in case they get destroyed & I’ll start doing exam practice tysm!!
yep my mums a bit of a mess tbh ik most parents aren’t like her lol
you too i wish u the best!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending