Relationship is over - advice please

Announcements

So my boyfriend and I have broken up after almost three years together. *We've made some amazing memories and been through a lot. *It hasn't been right for a while and despite trying so hard to make things better I knew deep down this day would come.

He said he doesn't love me anymore and that we don't work. *For weeks I've been trying to make him happy, I took on board what he said was bothering him and I tried to be a better girlfriend. *On the other hand, he didn't make much of an effort at all and it felt like he shut me out of his life, it was like I didn't exist anymore. I'm now beginning to wonder if I've been an idiot and wasted my time trying and hoping things would work out when I should have just left when he first said he wasn't sure if he still wanted to go out with me.*

I'm still in love with him, even though he isn't in love with me. *So how do I move on? *I care so much about him. *Feeling very lost and heart-broken right now.

ReputationRep:
    You're not an idiot. He wasn't happy in the relationship. Lots of people aren't happy in relationships. At least he didn't cheat on you, now THAT would suck. At the end of the day he probably just wanted to sleep with other girls and was bored

ReputationRep:
    Become Shadow the Hedgehog

http://67.media.tumblr.com/e7f4d268e...LAu1rqhks5.gif

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So my boyfriend and I have broken up after almost three years together. *We've made some amazing memories and been through a lot. *It hasn't been right for a while and despite trying so hard to make things better I knew deep down this day would come.

He said he doesn't love me anymore and that we don't work. *For weeks I've been trying to make him happy, I took on board what he said was bothering him and I tried to be a better girlfriend. *On the other hand, he didn't make much of an effort at all and it felt like he shut me out of his life, it was like I didn't exist anymore. I'm now beginning to wonder if I've been an idiot and wasted my time trying and hoping things would work out when I should have just left when he first said he wasn't sure if he still wanted to go out with me.*

I'm still in love with him, even though he isn't in love with me. *So how do I move on? *I care so much about him. *Feeling very lost and heart-broken right now.

Hi

Sad news, but this is happening to millions all around the world at any one time.
    Its healthy ro realise you had amazing times and nothing changes that.

but, relationships require two people to want it to work and yours had run its course as he decided he no longer wanted it.

Were you an idiot for trying? No, because you will know you did everything but he wasnt interested. What you can do is take that experience forward in case a relationship starts to not feel right and make a quicker decision to end it. That could save you time.

You will need to feel sad for a while, but like a bereavent, till you realise and accpet its happened and then be ready to move on. Quickest way will be to cut all contact with him, no facebook stalking etc and get on with your own life. I would say for at least a year. Focus on yourself and you will know when you feel comfu with the idea of finding someone else. It will get easier over time, but you are going to have to let go and leave him in the past.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.