The Student Room Group

TobyDeals: Fraudulent scam, or genuine shop?

Has anyone used Toby Deals before? (link: https://www.tobydeals.com/en_GB/ )

My Dad ordered a Samsung Galaxy S7 from them (so a considerable investment!), and they've been poor on the communications side of things. Took ages to reply and process the order, etc.

Also, even though the website states that the order will be shipped within 72 hours, it is still processing (he ordered on Monday, expected it to be here by now).

Just wondered if anyone else has heard of the site, or if they've had any experience with ordering themselves.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are some reports online of it potentially being dodgy.

Can always chargeback the payment if it becomes woefully clear that they won't refund or ship out the product, but that's a last straw if they don't communicate etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Axion
There are some reports online of it potentially being dodgy.

Can always chargeback the payment if it becomes woefully clear that they won't refund or ship out the product, but that's a last straw if they don't communicate etc.

Yeah, I've researched it recently and found quite dire reports, quite similar to the problems I've experienced. Luckily, it was ordered by credit card, so should be protected. The other concern of course is that it may eventually arrive, but ends up being a fake phone!
I bought an Apple IPAD Air 2 128 from them. Never received the confirmation email with shipping details. I sent them a message via their website and received a reply within a day stating the order had been dispatched. I still had no tracking number. I managed to log into their site via my account using the email address and password I'd used during the order. It stated the tracker details but not really much help. I was 100% doubtful of my action to purchase from them but within around 5 more days, the IPAD arrived, exactly as expected, genuine, sealed, well packed! They ship from Hong Kong to an office in the UK and they deal with all the import duty etc so the price you paid is the total. I'm not sure I'd buy anything else from them as the experience was un-nerving but it was a happy ending. In conclusion, they provide no tracking info for ages, no communication but the goods do seem to arrive. Hope this helps others.
Reply 4
Stay well clear of Toby Deals, a dishonest company that will at any opportunity try to steal your money

I purchased and paid for a phone on their website for £95.99, after about 5 days I requested a tracking number, they said it takes 3-4 days to which I responded that it had already been 5 days
A few days later and after several more emails, I was told that the item I bought arrived with them damaged (yeah, I've heard that one before) they did not know when their supplier might have more and asked if I would like to cancel my order and have a refund
I told them I was sorry to hear that but yes please refund and cancel so I can buy an alternative from their site
Several day later, no refund, needless to say that after numerous emails over numerous days there was no refund, so I told them I will be raising a dispute to which they basically responded by saying that they don't do Paypal so I cannot dispute it, they denied having taken payment and said I would have to speak to my bank (thinking I could do nothing)
Fortunately for me I had used my Paypal debit card to make the payment, so a quick call to Paypal card support along with forwarding the emails from Toby Deals resulted in the money being taken back from them and put back into my account
Well done Paypal and Booooo to Toby Deals (UK)

Stay well clear, even if you ever did get what you paid for you'd never get any kind of support or service from them, a very bad company to deal with
Reply 5
I just bought the camera on 17th January and the website shows me the status is processing now. I send an email to them but nobody answer me and I want to know whether it is normal. Does anyone send an email to me if my camera is in transit from hong kong. Thanks a lot.
I'm having a very bad experience and will be using S75 consumer act to try and get my money back, via credit card company, for a mobile phone which was faulty; I'm also having to pay to get my faulty phone back, or they are keeping it. They are based in Hong Kong and, on the face of it, are very professional.

Good luck!
Reply 7
Do whatever you can to get your money back then stay well clear of them and warn everyone else too
AVOID TOBYDEALS-SCAM
They trick the use is to blame the courier for loss of delivery .They pay you £10 compensation for a £500 order and wash their hands off! No customer service number. AVOID these scums like plague.
Tip: Contact your bank to cancel payment. Dont bother contacting Toby deals as they wont reply to your mails and there is no phone contact!
Reply 9
AVOID - that's all I can say. I am looking to purchase Samsung S8 edge. Its release date is 28 April, so it is not in shops yet. Well..TobyDeals has it in stock, how interesting! I have read a lot of reviews on various pages and to me it looks like a dodgy place to purchase anything. Hong Kong and China are places known for fakes, sometimes impossible to differentiate from original items. How can they make profit on the phone which normal selling price is at least 10% higher?? And on top of that they have to add a shipping cost...
I will leave the rest to you guys to figure out.
Please be aware that most of the positive feedback left on other websites is left by people that are paid to do so (clue: look for similarities in their stories, the use of certain words and exaggerating the experience)
Reply 10
How do you charge back a payment pls?? They've never delivered my digital camera & wont rsvp to my increasingly frantic emails... it's been two months !!
If you paid with the credit card then you should contact your credit card provider - every CC comes with the protection. You ca read more here:
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

If you paid via pay pal they might be able to take the money from the supplier account if they have a pay pal account.

It is important to pay using CC over the internet as this gives you protection if something goes wrong!

Also this company TobyDeals needs to be reported. I can't believe that in 21st century this type of scams exist and they can happily advertise all over the world!!! As I have not dealt with them (I always check feedback before any purchase) I can't report them, but many of you suffered from their hands, have all the needed proof and this needs to be stopped. So I urge you to do so. There are many websites guiding you how to report a fraud.
Hi I purchased a very expensive Canon Camera Lens, I got consistent emails from start to finish with the transaction. The informed me that they got the order, when they packaged the order, when it was picked up and then which carrier was going to deliver to me( DPD) with tracking number .The item came from Hong Kong which they make clear, there was no duties and it arrived in a week saving me - £700. I have put this on here here because of the bad press but I had nothing but a good experience and would use again and my item was high value.
i ordered a canon camera from them on 3 june2017 it came on the 14 june 2017 ,i tracked it all the way from hong kong to my home in northamptonshire england,never had any problems at all ,the camera works great its brand new,even has an adaptor for british power socket,welldone toby deals
They are scheisters. Avoid like the plague. My item was DOA and they charged me for 're-stocking it' which is illegal.
Interesting as I ordered a Nikon camera body from them. I ordered on either a Thurs/Fri. Heard not too much then read some forums and started to get a bit jittery. Them had e-mail saying it had been dispatched. Tracking number said not a lot! A bad feeling started then out of blue, NPD said they had it and gave me delivery time and voila! It arrived in 7 days. A lens from another source took 6 days and a memory card from within the UK with 2 working day delivery took 11!! Go figure....so yes I have had a very good experience so far with Toby Deals
Reply 16
We used them for my son's GoPro- worried about the reviews but the price was very good. It arrived within the week and so far so good. I guess if there are problems we'll regret it, but a good brand should be safe. I'D THEREFORE RECOMMEND THEM.
(edited 6 years ago)
Isn't it interesting that the three posters who had no problems, i.e. Greenflyer, foxy fowler and Dukey13 only have one post each.... and their sole posts are in this forum, praising TobyDeals.
Reply 18
For me - I checked for gripes in google before we bought and this was top hit ... was worried but so far so good. I referred back here to bring balance as I felt it was due. I guess we have to expect bath-tub opinion.
@ trident3, if you want conspiracy try JFK or Roswell ;o)
Original post by Dukey13
For me - I checked for gripes in google before we bought and this was top hit ... was worried but so far so good. I referred back here to bring balance as I felt it was due. I guess we have to expect bath-tub opinion.
@ trident3, if you want conspiracy try JFK or Roswell ;o)

As a scientist/engineer I work with evidence (and statistics)... and the evidence is that three posters had only one post each, praising a potential scammer, and that's what I pointed out. Now you have two posts... again both praising a potential scammer... again all I will do with the current evidence is point that out.

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending