The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HenvY
90% of the people voting yes will be girls, 90% of their boyfriends will be having none of it. 100% of the people who vote yes and see it realised will be voting yes some years later on a 'have you been divorced?' poll.

And 95% of statistics are made up on the spot, evidently.
more adventurous
And 95% of statistics are made up on the spot, evidently.

100% actually, but I'm 99% sure I wasn't going for statistical accuracy.
Reply 22
I can't understand how anyone can be with someone and yet not conceive of marrying them. Surely the HOPE is for something long-lasting?
Reply 23
Adhsur
I can't understand how anyone can be with someone and yet not conceive of marrying them. Surely the HOPE is for something long-lasting?

Ditto. If one person is going to go out with another and yet don't think that marriage is even a possibility, wouldn't that just make the people f buddies?
Reply 24
I would love to marry my current bf... we've been goin out for three years and decided (yesterday!) that we will stay together during university:biggrin: so I certainly hope that it will eventually lead to marriage! Talk is going that way anyway... (the greedy **** wants a bloody footballl team of kids in the forseeable future... hmmmmm...)
Adhsur

well for me i never want to get married, ive been with my current Gf for three and a half years, from the outset i said i never want to get married and never have kids. As a rule i dont like being around people foor to long.

I value my indepentcy too much, the idea of living with someone, waking up next to them going to work coming home and them being there when i got home then doing it day in day out for the next sixty odd years sounds like a living hell to me, and then throw kids into that mix, no peace, no free time nothing jeez no chance.

I love my gf and have no intention of leaving her, as to whether she wants to get married at a later date well then thats a bridge il cross when i come to it. I get twitchy if i dont get some alone time after about a day and a half and it makes me edgy and snappy. My gf knows this and thankfully accepts it. Im pretty lucky in that regard
Reply 26
HenvY
90% of the people voting yes will be girls, 90% of their boyfriends will be having none of it. 100% of the people who vote yes and see it realised will be voting yes some years later on a 'have you been divorced?' poll.

I'm not so sure about this. Most of the guys I've gone out with/my friends have gone out with have been the ones who want to commit. I've never said "I love you" to someone first. My current boyfriend told me he'd like to marry me one day really quite early on, yet most of my friends are really unromantic and hate being soppy/thinking about the future! My boyfriend is the first person I've been able to see myself marrying - however, I am aware that people change so I'm not setting my heart on it. Besides, even if we did get married, it wouldn't be for years and years!

Oh, and some people do get married young and stay together forever, although I imagine that would be less common for our generation.
Reply 27
I COULD see myself marrying my bf when we are older, but the REALITY is that we probably wont, which in a way makes me sad because we are perfect for each other.
But we are only perfect for each other right now, as we grow older we'll go through different experiences, we'll meet new people, we'll realise what we really want from our lives, and all of that will change us. By the time we get to the age of 25/27 (when i would want to get married) we'll be completely different people, and who knows if we'll still be perfect for each other??
Reply 28
Yes. We have spoken about it and we both want to. When is another question.
Yea, we're both old enough to know what we want now (23 and 25), we live together, we've had enough experience to really discover what we want from a partner, which I think is important.
Reply 30
This is my overly logical brain talking...but if you cant see yourself marrying them, then why are you with them?>
Yes, we're getting married next year.
capitalP
This is my overly logical brain talking...but if you cant see yourself marrying them, then why are you with them?>

Sex on tap?
Reply 33
Adhsur

actually people do.
In other threads on here, a lot of people say that they wouldn't marry whoever they date at this age.
Reply 34
Well it all depends on what type of person you are i guess, and what kind of couple you are. I love living with my boyfriend, we still get on really well, and hardly ever argue, only about little silly things and we always make it up soon after. I never feel that i am around him too much, i love waking up with him and coming home from work to him and eating dinner together every night... I can honestly say that moving in with him was one of the best decisions i've ever made, and i really think that we will get married in the future.
I don't see the point of being negative and thinking about the stats of divorced people etc... that's other people, not me. My parents are divorced, as are most of my friends parents but it doesn't stop me thinking that me and boyfriend will get married one day. Just coz a lot of other people have found that marriage doesn't work for them doesnt automatically mean that our marriage wouldn't work.
Yes! Of course I would!
I'd love to - he's the first guy I've been with to mention 'our future' :smile: I'd never say anything about it, I'd be afraid of scaring a guy away! But I never believe in anything, if it happens it happens, if not, well no biggie. Its a bit early to be getting optimistic just yet!
I don't think I'd feel the same way if I'd only been with him for a year or so. The fact of the matter is, Ive been with him and known him a very long time and there's reason for me to believe it. I'd never marry anyone after a short period of time together, 2 years is my absolute minimum. i've dated other guys, but not in a "I want a long term relationship" way.
iTalya
Yes.. we just set a date :biggrin:

congrats!
iTalya
Yes.. we just set a date :biggrin:

Wow, only your first date and you think you'll marry them?

Latest

Trending

Trending