The Student Room Group

Why is sex seen necessary for romantic relationship?

Just picking brains but why has there been so much emphasis on sex between romantic relationships?

A relationship is not built on sex and it should not rely on it. I can see marriage being something different, but for those who are not married - sex holds little weight when looking for a partner.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmm not really, depends on the person really. to some sex is a deal-breaker. sure it shouldn't make-or-break the relationship but sex is a great way of bonding and getting closer to each other
Because it becomes impossible to distinguish between romantic relationships and intimate friendships if there's no sexual activity at all going on, e.g. kissing.

If you don't kiss or do 'couple-y' stuff, you're not really any different from close friends are you?
Copulations are an unfortunate inevitable part of marital reproduction. Outlaw pre-marital liaisons and the chances are most of these so called partnerships will wither and die. In the eyes of muslims there are only two sorts of people, married and unmarried. A lot of the sloppiness associated with modern western dating culture is concerning and needs reviewing.
It's not necessary for everyone but it is important to a lot of people. Obviously it feels good, it is very intimate so can form closer bonds and giving your partner pleasure can show you care.
Original post by Sharia Devotion
Copulations are an unfortunate inevitable part of marital reproduction. Outlaw pre-marital liaisons and the chances are most of these so called partnerships will wither and die. In the eyes of muslims there are only two sorts of people, married and unmarried. A lot of the sloppiness associated with modern western dating culture is concerning and needs reviewing.

If you don't like it don't live in Western society :rolleyes:
For me, it's got emotional value so I like doing it in relationships. It makes me feel closer to the guy.
Doesn't that matter on the couple? It won't be important to some people as they might be celibate or asexual.
Reply 8
ive been able to form romantic relationships with guys and ive said to them 'no sex in the realtionship' and theyve been okay with it tbh.
Some people would happily have children without being married,apart from legal connations it wouldn't necessarily be any different to any other long term relationship.
for many people sex is an important physical and emotional part of a relationship unless a couple is asexual then it wouldn't be any different than living with a best friend without it really.
Reply 10
cos sex is good
"Unless a couple is asexual"

Aye cause those last a lifetime. Seeing 40 year old asexuals is as likely as seeing 40 year old goths.
Sex is one of those survival instincts we have (the others being hunger, etc) with the upshot being babies- this plays a key role in how relationships are governed. Sex means babies, babies mean sex... Of course with contraception added to the mixture, sex needn't lead to conception, however, the strong instict (desire for sex) still remains, as is the instinct for want of a dedicated/comitted partner.
"but for those who are not married - sex holds little weight when looking for a partner. "

Lol, what?
Yes, because sex is an absolute chore and humans have a biological tendency to only ever consider it when a couple wants a baby.
If anyone feels sex isn't that important to a relationship, are they then automatically in favour of someone having sex outside of the relationship?

The thing is, there are certain things limited between a couple. Even without sex, you can't just go sleep in bed and spoon with a stranger. The things that are only permitted between a couple are important because especially with sex which is a natural "urge" (hate that description), you are often unable to continue the relationship if you are seeking it elsewhere.
some polls actually suggest that 'having a baby' is one of the last reasons for having sex
Humans, just like any other animal, have had one fundamental, perpetual, instinctive goal since the beginning of life: To reproduce. A relationship is nothing but a means to an end of that.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
For me, it's got emotional value so I like doing it in relationships. It makes me feel closer to the guy.

Pretty much this. It's the most intimate thing you can do with someone, so it's a great way to get closer to your partner. :h:
if you dont have sex in a long term relationship whats the difference between you and two close friends? In this day an age its hard to find a couple ( asian included) who are in their 20s and not going down the intimate route
Original post by drowzee
Pretty much this. It's the most intimate thing you can do with someone, so it's a great way to get closer to your partner. :h:

There is nothing like cuddling after a good sex. :h:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending