The Student Room Group

Why do so many people get so easily triggered by veganism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by champ_mc99
As long as you take that "Just **** off" back, I'm good. :wink:

I take the **** off back. :colondollar:
Reply 61
Original post by rott
And I've meat many meat eaters who think they're always right and won't accept criticism in any shape or form.

What do you have to say about them?

There's nothing to say, I can only speak for myself. I was merely stating an observation.
Reply 62
What way can vegetarians/vegans present facts without coming across as judgemental and preachy?

I find that a lot of people don't like the facts of the meat industry and they themselves find it disgusting so they automatically assume that all vegans are negatively judging them when that is not the case.

I just think that vegans get this unfair stigma that they are nasty militant nazis that are out to get all meat eaters when all they try to do is highlight the suffering that goes on in these places.
Reply 63
Original post by Stacyy
There's nothing to say, I can only speak for myself. I was merely stating an observation.

Fair enough. I was just pointing out it works both ways.
Original post by rott
What way can vegetarians/vegans present facts without coming across as judgemental and preachy?

I find that a lot of people don't like the facts of the meat industry and they themselves find it disgusting so they automatically assume that all vegans are negatively judging them when that is not the case.

I just think that vegans get this unfair stigma that they are nasty militant nazis that are out to get all meat eaters when all they try to do is highlight the suffering that goes on in these places.

I've never experienced this preachy vegan stereotype either but I hear a lot of people saying how vegans can be so rude and insulting to meat eaters by calling them names like murderers and hypocrites etc. I accept that some meat eaters may well be hypocrites (myself included) if they eat one species of animal and not another but insulting people is not a good way to get across your points.
Reply 65
I wonder if the people saying that have personally experienced this themselves or are they just repeating the stereotype that they hear. While I have no doubt there are a few vegans who call people the eat meat insulting names, no way does it happen nearly as much as it is made out. I mean if this stereotype were true then anytime a vegan sees someone eating meat they would be all in their face, calling them scumbags etc. I have been in the company of vegans and meat eaters many times and there was only one instance I can recall were someone was insulting another for their diet- and that was a meat eater insulting the vegan.

Meat eaters that insult vegans get away with it more because they are in the majority whereas vegans not so much as they are coming from the minority group. Its just another one of the double standards that a present in society.

I accept that some meat eaters may well be hypocrites (myself included) if they eat one species of animal and not another

I wouldn't say that makes you hypocrite. I would only say you are a hypocrite if you criticise those that eat cats and dogs while you eat other animals at the same time.

but insulting people is not a good way to get across your points.

Completely agree. Anyone insulting another person is just going to cause harm to their cause no matter what that cause is.
cus theyve eaten meat since they was little so they cant fathom never eating a kebab or ote again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eternaforest
cus theyve eaten meat since they was little so they cant fathom never eating a kebab or ote again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you believe the whole 'red meat causes cancer' theory? I sure don't. :nah:
Original post by rott
I wonder if the people saying that have personally experienced this themselves or are they just repeating the stereotype that they hear. While I have no doubt there are a few vegans who call people the eat meat insulting names, no way does it happen nearly as much as it is made out. I mean if this stereotype were true then anytime a vegan sees someone eating meat they would be all in their face, calling them scumbags etc. I have been in the company of vegans and meat eaters many times and there was only one instance I can recall were someone was insulting another for their diet- and that was a meat eater insulting the vegan.

Meat eaters that insult vegans get away with it more because they are in the majority whereas vegans not so much as they are coming from the minority group. Its just another one of the double standards that a present in society.

I wouldn't say that makes you hypocrite. I would only say you are a hypocrite if you criticise those that eat cats and dogs while you eat other animals at the same time.

Completely agree. Anyone insulting another person is just going to cause harm to their cause no matter what that cause is.

I've seen quite a few professing vegans on here, for example, behave horribly towards meat eaters and vegetarians alike. I even went through a vegetarian phase myself and got hounded by some vegan on here that I wasn't doing enough :rolleyes: Good Lord, give me strength.

People on either side shouldn't be insulting each others choices of food in any case. It's only food, after all, it all goes in the same place and goes out the same place but people get too personal when they perceive you to be attacking their lifestyle.
Reply 69
A meat eater on here told me to go choke on a sausage once. So the abuse comes from both sets.

How long were you vegetarian for?
Original post by Roast Pepper
Do you believe the whole 'red meat causes cancer' theory? I sure don't. :nah:

Dont know dont care lol i dont like most red meat anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iEthan
Eat vegan, that's awesome.

I like eating vegans.
Vegans get triggered as well so they're just as Looney, they always get triggered from animal suffering!
Reply 73
Original post by MasterJack
Vegans get triggered as well so they're just as Looney, they always get triggered from animal suffering!

So what you saying is everyone is a lunatic?
I'm vegan, don't go on about it all the time, but find it offensive, how people often talk about vegans, almost like they're discriminating against us because of our beliefs. I guess one could almost compare it to religion, you can't offend someone because of their beliefs or lifestyle choices - it doesn't affect you in any way, and if you don't want to hear what we believe, then go find the door. Some people are more, for want of a better word, passionate, than others... Hope this made sense...
Lmao no one cares if an individual has decided to become vegan. Vegans shame non-vegans for eating meat and anything that involves attacking animals. If they are passionate and want to spread their research then great but they need to also respect other peoplea decision. If only vegans could spend atleast 1 hour without causing chaos by attacking meat eaters the world would be a happy place.
Meat eaters are definitely more vocal and I find that really odd because most vegans are just standing up for animals pain and suffering, all for humans taste buds and aesthetics. Whereas meat eaters are standing up for what? Finding people annoying? Wanting to stay ignorant and pretend like torture and death is fine? Because it's still the majority it makes it seem like it's ok. The pain and suffering isn't needed, there are other sources to keep us alive and healthy and clothed. We should stand up for both humans and animals. Summary: meat eaters HOPE to stay ignorant to death and pain of animals. Do not want to hear completely valid and caring opinions of vegans.Vegans are talking about their diet from a place of love and caring.

From a vegetarian (not a vegan). I decided to watch some films on animals being farmed for meat and clothing etc to confirm what I knew was true, so I was no longer ignorant and couldn't pretend anymore.
P.s not shouting just hoping you don't shout back! :smile: Be kind to one another! And be kind to animals and our planet as much as you possibly can!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest