The Student Room Group

How do you view 'femininity' as never fit in with it.

This might seem odd but as a female ive always felt that im a little more 'valuble' in general if im more tomboyish un behaviour rather than feminine. No disrespect to any girls/women im speaking totally in general but Ive always felt that feminine = weak, scared, dependant and physically 'incapable' and feel that masculine traits are more valuble and well just better.

I think this is partly why ive always been a tomboy and sort of rejected femininity in a way since bring a young kid. Ive found climbing buildings/trees and being stronger more productive than playing hopscotch and makeup. When i played with figures as a kid i always emphasised the male more ie pretended i was aladin over jasmine, wheres the fun in being jasmine?

I just wanted to ask can anyone relate to this. I also wanted to ask girls ..those who see yourself as quite 'girly' im curious as to how you views life/hour gender compared to how i did. What do you class as feminine traits and how did you enjoy girly hobbies and see feminity as a strength rather than weakness. Im still thinking maybe ive just not seen the strength in femininity yet maybe someone needs to explain to me lol.

Also i wanted to ask the guys do you tend to respect more tomboyish women more than the girly types or see them as more capable? Or do you just view them as 'fake men' in a way lol Im not talking about attractiveness btw thats a seperate topic. Also i dont mean the nutty feminist type either. Ive just always had the idea that if i could show that im not delicate and girly i would gain more respect from guys too.

Just wanted your thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Oh please, 'I don't *insert traditionally feminine things here*, so I'm better.

Sexist moron. :colonhash:
Reply 2
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Oh please, 'I don't *insert traditionally feminine things here*, so I'm better.

Sexist moron. :colonhash:

I respect all people unless they do me wrong and dont think that im better than anyone. In fact theres no one who i really dislike. Im simply opening up about how ive viewed the world and possible issues Ive had all my life as Ive never talked about them in real life. Maybe I shouldnt have done this. If this makes me sexist then fine but it doesnt alter my behaviour Im willing to be friends with all types of people.
Original post by Anonymous
I respect all people unless they do me wrong and dont think that im better than anyone. In fact theres no one who i really dislike. Im simply opening up about how ive viewed the world and possible issues Ive had all my life as Ive never talked about them in real life. Maybe I shouldnt have done this. If this makes me sexist then fine but it doesnt alter my behaviour Im willing to be friends with all types of people.

It just sounds elitist, how because you don't do these things you think you're better, you even just admitted it, in your first paragraph!

It's not fair, girls get enough s*** from some guys, for doing typically feminine things ex. I broke my nail *cries* overblown reaction pisstake, and they honestly don't need more nastiness from other girls. We should be lifting each other up, not tearing each other down over what kind of gender dress-up we want to play.
can we all calm down? as I guy I would like to say I do not give a single ****

thank u
Original post by Retired_Messiah
can we all calm down? as I guy I would like to say I do not give a single ****

thank u

I'm sorry, the type of mindset she has is common in the 'nerd girl' community, and it pisses me off to death, because it's so snobby and elitist. Also, asking if guys respect that type of girl more, just sounds like 'Cool girl' bulls*** to me.
Reply 6
It just sounds elitist, how because you don't do these things you think you're better, you even just admitted it, in your first paragraph!

It's not fair, girls get enough s*** from some guys, for doing typically feminine things ex. I broke my nail *cries* overblown reaction pisstake, and they honestly don't need more nastiness from other girls. We should be lifting each other up, not tearing each other down over what kind of gender dress-up we want to play.

I said that Ive always felt masuline traits are more valuble and so thats what Ive mentally strived towards, i didnt say anything about being a better person than others. You strive towards certain traits that you think are respected, but you dont think you are better than people without those behaviours, do you?

I stick up for women a lot and feel their caring skills are often taken advantage of a lot but if I talk about this I think I will then get replies calling me a feminist lol.
Reply 7
Yeah, typically "feminine" qualities like emotional understanding, being a good caregiver, and preferring to avoid unnecessary violence and conflict are so pathetic.
(N.B. Of course I recognise that many men have such qualities, I'm just saying that they are positive characteristics typically associated with women, and hence can be considered feminine)
There is nothing unfeminine about independence. Someone can be quite "girly" and yet perfectly able to do things for themselves. You seem to be drawing some sort of false equivalence.
As a guy, no I don't respect more 'boyish' girls. Girls can be feminine and still capable.
Also physical strength is nice to have but doesn't really make you a more 'capable' in the 21st century
(edited 7 years ago)
I am a guy and am attracted to feminine girls.
Tomboy girls put me off.
I want to be with a girl not with my best mate lol.
I said that Ive always felt masuline traits are more valuble and so thats what Ive mentally strived towards, i didnt say anything about being a better person than others. You strive towards certain traits that you think are respected, but you dont think you are better than people without those behaviours, do you?

I stick up for women a lot and feel their caring skills are often taken advantage of a lot but if I talk about this I think I will then get replies calling me a feminist lol.

If I take on 'masculine traits', which are just normal human traits just like feminine btw, I don't think they're better at all. Plus, what's wrong with being a feminist, tbh don't answer, it's exactly what I was expecting when I was reading the initial question.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sorry, the type of mindset she has is common in the 'nerd girl' community, and it pisses me off to death, because it's so snobby and elitist. Also, asking if guys respect that type of girl more, just sounds like 'Cool girl' bulls*** to me.

Ive never wanted to be part of a 'nerd community' or whatever at the moment I dont see myself as part of any specific group. All i want is to be the best I can. What you dont seem to have noticed is that the whole intention of me creating this thread is to challenge my mindset by getting different views, so that I can be happier with myself. Its not my fault your mindset is to be angry with a 'nerd community'. I dont feel its fair you are directing your anger at me.
As a guy, it doesn't make me respect you any more or less than if you were typically feminine. In terms of attractiveness, being tomboyish is an active turn-off.
Original post by Pikachu1111
I am a guy and am attracted to feminine girls.
Tomboy girls put me off.
I want to be with a girl not with my best mate lol.

If you read the op i mentioned that im not talking about attraction lol.
Ive never wanted to be part of a 'nerd community' or whatever at the moment I dont see myself as part of any specific group. All i want is to be the best I can. What you dont seem to have noticed is that the whole intention of me creating this thread is to challenge my mindset by getting different views, so that I can be happier with myself. Its not my fault your mindset is to be angry with a 'nerd community'. I dont feel its fair you are directing your anger at me.

I know you're not from that, I was just using an example. :colonhash:

Plus, it's not my anger, more disappointment, you've clearly not seen my anger. :tongue:
Plus, don't answer Pikachu, he's a troll that's made like 100+ accounts.
Feminism has little to do with actual femininity, from my understanding it's just to do with equality between males and females? Are you female? If you are, then sexism and all it's problems still applies to you.
I know you're not from that, I was just using an example. :colonhash:

Plus, it's not my anger, more disappointment, you've clearly not seen my anger. :tongue:

I know, I meant I don't want to have a specific mindset but I can't help how my brain has been wired since I was about 7. I didn't really think about it (I just assumed I'm not a girly girl) until my ex boyfriend started to make comments about what I should wear, how I walk 'like a guy' etc among other things and it then got me thinking that I've had issues with being feminine nearly all my life. I do think that feminine traits are important (society wouldn't bloody survive without a woman's caring and nurturing skills) but for some reason I find it hard to act feminine myself. I've always heard lads make comments like 'your a wuss, like a girl' etc and I've probably somehow got it twisted that if I can display more masculine traits I'l get more respect. It's only recently I've thought more deeply about it all. I don't know where to talk about this stuff if not on tsr (and no I'm not seeing a shrink about it just yet).
I know, I meant I don't want to have a specific mindset but I can't help how my brain has been wired since I was about 7. I didn't really think about it (I just assumed I'm not a girly girl) until my ex boyfriend started to make comments about what I should wear, how I walk 'like a guy' etc among other things and it then got me thinking that I've had issues with being feminine nearly all my life. I do think that feminine traits are important (society wouldn't bloody survive without a woman's caring and nurturing skills) but for some reason I find it hard to act feminine myself. I've always heard lads make comments like 'your a wuss, like a girl' etc and I've probably somehow got it twisted that if I can display more masculine traits I'l get more respect. It's only recently I've thought more deeply about it all. I don't know where to talk about this stuff if not on tsr (and no I'm not seeing a shrink about it just yet).

Well, forget the people who disrespect you, because they're idiots.

Also, not to be petty but, being nurturing and caring are not just 'women's skills', for example I personally couldn't give a toss about being nuturing, and my Dad is more caring than my Mum. :tongue:
Original post by JRKinder
As a guy, it doesn't make me respect you any more or less than if you were typically feminine. In terms of attractiveness, being tomboyish is an active turn-off.

How so, you would have a girlfriend who would also possibly have more in common with you and enjoy the same to programmes : p Unless you were talking just clothing/dress sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending