The Student Room Group

Muslims, how would you react if your friend or sibling came out?

Scroll to see replies

Well I'm a Muslim girl in love with another girl. I want to be with her but I'm too scared about the reaction from the community and our safety ofcourse. I'd probably lose my family too.
Original post by Anonymous
Well I'm a Muslim girl in love with another girl. I want to be with her but I'm too scared about the reaction from the community and our safety ofcourse. I'd probably lose my family too.

Are you in the uk? Then why should you be worried about your safety? Its this kind of thing that makes islam incompatible with western culture.You should just come out,screw the community.Despite what islam tells you there is only one life and its a waste if you spend your entire life hiding away.
Original post by Robby2312
Are you in the uk? Then why should you be worried about your safety? Its this kind of thing that makes islam incompatible with western culture.You should just come out,screw the community.Despite what islam tells you there is only one life and its a waste if you spend your entire life hiding away.

Unfortunately, I'd be scared some crazy nutcase might attack me for loving a girl.and yes, it even happens in the Uk.

Extrajudicial killings can happen anywhere, and there are other ways to harm someone.

Moreover, it's not so easy to abandon one's 'support network', so to speak, especially if she is still financially or (if she's a minor) legally dependent on her family.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Extrajudicial killings can happen even here, and there are other ways to harm someone.

Moreover, it's not so easy to abandon one's 'support network', so to speak, especially if she is still financially or (if she's a minor) legally dependent on her family.

I know they can happen here too.But the way she said it made it sound like she was worried about people in the muslim community that would harm her.Islam isn't exactly known for its tolerance of gay people.If your support network doesn't support you over something as trivial as sexuality then they clearly never actually loved you and it would be best to get rid.The alternative is to go through life without ever experiencing love properly which isn't really an alternative at all.
I know they can happen here too.But the way she said it made it sound like she was worried about people in the muslim community that would harm her.Islam isn't exactly known for its tolerance of gay people.If your support network doesn't support you over something as trivial as sexuality then they clearly never actually loved you and it would be best to get rid.The alternative is to go through life without ever experiencing love properly which isn't really an alternative at all.

I agree that the long-term solution is to leave them, but it's necessary to have an alternative 'support network' first. Otherwise life can get very difficult at the smallest setback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending