Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone picked biology a level, if so, what do you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really enjoying it actually. Some parts are hard but I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I go along. My teacher is amazing too which helps

ReputationRep:
    I really like it, and I thought it was one of the boring subjects at GCSE but at A-Level it gets very interesting because it gets explored in depth. I would really recommend it, even if you aren't doing other sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte458)
    I'm really enjoying it actually. Some parts are hard but I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I go along. My teacher is amazing too which helps
    Thanks for replying What other A levels have you picked? I'm currently in Y11 and have to give my application for college soon, so any more information would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ew_its_nicola)
    I really like it, and I thought it was one of the boring subjects at GCSE but at A-Level it gets very interesting because it gets explored in depth. I would really recommend it, even if you aren't doing other sciences.
    Thanks for replying I am considering it, but I was put off slightly due to what I've heard about the work load, so I am a little sceptical if I can cope with it all.
    What other A levels have you picked? I am thinking of doing A level Spanish, Psychology and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in A2 and I absolutely love it!! My favourite subject by far (and it shows as I'm predicted an A*)

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know aswell, I want to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics as my 3 A Levels because i'm only interested in Science, However people are saying that it will be to difficult, at GCSE i am an A/A* Student and want to know if this is a good idea or if i should just take Biology, Chemistry and something like History - which i also enjoy; when i'm older i want to get into a science related field like Biomedical science, healthcare or (preferably) medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    I'm in A2 and I absolutely love it!! My favourite subject by far (and it shows as I'm predicted an A*)
    Well done for your predicted grade! It's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar_)
    I would like to know aswell, I want to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics as my 3 A Levels because i'm only interested in Science, However people are saying that it will be to difficult, at GCSE i am an A/A* Student and want to know if this is a good idea or if i should just take Biology, Chemistry and something like History - which i also enjoy; when i'm older i want to get into a science related field like Biomedical science, healthcare or (preferably) medicine.
    I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science and I did Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sara_s01)
    Thanks for replying I am considering it, but I was put off slightly due to what I've heard about the work load, so I am a little sceptical if I can cope with it all.
    What other A levels have you picked? I am thinking of doing A level Spanish, Psychology and Biology.
    I do Psychology, Biology, Geography and French, so I'm quite similar lol. If you're going to do Biology it would be best to take Chemistry as well, since both subjects are heavily connected and it will make some topics easier, and also Biology on its own isn't useful for many subjects. The workload is shocking at first, but it gets manageable over time, so don't worry. Psychology is interesting, one my favourite subjects, and it's quite straightforward and simple as well. Languages have a huge step up, bigger than Biology because you need to basically be fluent. Right now we need to know all the tenses and grammar, and be able to write 2-page essays, but it's nice to do something different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science and I did Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A Level.
    Nice, how are you liking the science? Is the workload too much or is it manageable with enough revision or dedication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ew_its_nicola)
    I do Psychology, Biology, Geography and French, so I'm quite similar lol. If you're going to do Biology it would be best to take Chemistry as well, since both subjects are heavily connected and it will make some topics easier, and also Biology on its own isn't useful for many subjects. The workload is shocking at first, but it gets manageable over time, so don't worry. Psychology is interesting, one my favourite subjects, and it's quite straightforward and simple as well. Languages have a huge step up, bigger than Biology because you need to basically be fluent. Right now we need to know all the tenses and grammar, and be able to write 2-page essays, but it's nice to do something different.
    I highly HIGHLY recommend that you only take Chemistry if you thoroughly enjoy Chemistry as a whole, not just the Biochemistry side of Chemistry.
    A lot of A Level Chemistry is not Biochemistry and you need to be interested in the non-Biological side of Chemistry too, to be able to do well in A Level Chemistry. There is a lot of physical/industrial Chemistry in A Level Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, its my least favourite out of my A Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths).
    Might just be due to the teaching at my school but also because there's A TON of stuff to memorise and I prefer subjects like maths where it's not about memorising stuff but about skills? Not saying that biology doesnt require skills because it really does
    Idk, you either love it or hate it but I have seen that people who are more into essay subjects prefer Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar_)
    Nice, how are you liking the science? Is the workload too much or is it manageable with enough revision or dedication
    It's really really good, I love the course I'm studying! The workload is very very high, even higher than it was in A Level Biology - but I'm really interested in all aspects of Biomedical Science (No more plant and animal biology HURRAY!!!) so it makes it more enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    Tbh, its my least favourite out of my A Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths).
    Might just be due to the teaching at my school but also because there's A TON of stuff to memorise and I prefer subjects like maths where it's not about memorising stuff but about skills? Not saying that biology doesnt require skills because it really does
    Idk, you either love it or hate it but I have seen that people who are more into essay subjects prefer Biology.
    Hmmm, this is what worries me, but I am dedicated so hopefully I will cope somehow

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of work not going to sugar-coat it but if you enjoy Biology then its interesting. Do you know what exam board you'd be doing? Have a look at the speicification and see if you would find it interesting, or at least the vast majority of it interesting. I do psychology, biology and history. I suffer with health problems hence why I only do three

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sara_s01)
    Has anyone picked biology a level, if so, what do you think of it?
    I am doing AQA biology and I quite like it. It's a lot 'nicer', apparently! I quite like how there is no more coursework, my grades in science at GCSE were being pulled down due to my coursework in science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    I want to study Biomed. What university do you go to? I study Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    I want to study Biomed. What university do you go to? I study Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology
    I go to The University of Bradford. I really enjoy the BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science course here, it's very difficult but it's accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and approved by the Health and Care Professions Council, so it's a LOT easier to become a Registered Biomedical Scientist when you graduate.

I highly recommend that you only study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at a University that is IBMS Accredited if you are thinking of becoming a Biomedical Scientist.

List of Universities that Offer IBMS Accredited Biomedical Science Undergraduate Degrees:

The Robert Gordon University
    Bangor University
    University of Bedfordshire
    Queen’s University Belfast
    Aston University
    University of Bradford
    University of Brighton
    University of the West of England
    University of Abertay Dundee
    University of Essex
    Glasgow Caledonian University
    University of Strathclyde
    The University of Greenwich
    University of Hertfordshire
    University of Hull
    Keele University
    University of Kent at Canterbury
    Kingston University
    University of Lancaster
    De Montfort University
    Anglia Ruskin University
    Cardiff Metropolitan University
    University Chester
    Coventry University
    University of Lincoln
    Liverpool John Moores University
    University of East London
    London Metropolitan University
    Middlesex University
    Queen Mary, University of London
    University of Roehampton
    University of London, St George’s,
    University of Westminster
    Manchester Metropolitan
    Teesside University
    Northumbria University
    Nottingham Trent University
    Oxford Brookes University
    University of the West of Scotland
    University of Portsmouth
    University of Central Lancashire
    University of Plymouth
    University of Reading
    University of Salford
    Sheffield Hallam University
    Staffordshire University
    University of Sunderland
    University of Surrey
    York St. John University
    Ulster University
    University of Wolverhampton

ReputationRep:
    Biology is a good subject because it's very interesting well done parts but I must say there is a lot to memorise.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.