The Student Room Group

Wouldn't right wingers be complaining if they lost?

All I am seeing on social networks are Trump supporters saying that "lefties are crying their salty tears", which shadows what people were saying after the EU Referendum. However, surely the right wing would be doing the same thing if we 1) Stayed in the EU (you saw how many complained, said they would "strike" etc. after the court ruling earlier last week) and 2) Had Clinton as our next president? Maybe I'm missing something out, but are they not just taking advantage that they are on the "winning" side of the vote to attack anyone who has shown worry/anger about the results?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by george_c00per
All I am seeing on social networks are Trump supporters saying that "lefties are crying their salty tears", which shadows what people were saying after the EU Referendum. However, surely the right wing would be doing the same thing if we 1) Stayed in the EU (you saw how many complained, said they would "strike" etc. after the court ruling earlier last week) and 2) Had Clinton as our next president? Maybe I'm missing something out, but are they not just taking advantage that they are on the "winning" side of the vote to attack anyone who has shown worry/anger about the results?

I imagine they would. I imagine most people would complain if such a big and important thing didn't go the way they wanted/expected
Reply 2
The thing that amuses me is those who voted Brexit and Trump were spouting similar rhetorics of "this vote is rigged", "democracy is dead", "we're going to fight if we lose", but quiet down suddenly when they win. If the election was rigged, it was rigged. That doesn't change because the person you wanted got in, right?

Same with people kicking off about that petition to redo the EU referendum: they apparently missed the fact that said petition was STARTED BY A LEAVE VOTER BEFORE THE RESULTS.

Why is it okay for them to do all of this, but when others do it they're "crybaby lefties" and "enemies of democracy"? I don't care either way protest all you like, it will hardly make a difference but really?
Not really, because they expected to lose brexit and the US Election. They would b!tch about it, but less.
Original post by cbreef
Not really, because they expected to lose brexit and the US Election. They would b!tch about it, but less.

Ok, but on a vote that didn't go their way despite them being expected to win it, would they complain as much? Because I think they would. Politics just seems like a vicious cycle of:

group x does something (wins election, passes law, etc)
group y aren't happy
group y start to get "more" people on their side
group y does something ("" "")
group x aren't happy
group x start to get "more" people on their side

etc etc

I know this is just how democracy works, but right wingers who act as though they would never DREAM of whining about result outcomes don't seem to realise that.
What irritates me about the people complaining about people being upset about Brexit and Trump is that they see people in the immediate aftermath of these elections and sit with their watches like 'Nope you've cried long enough time to get over it'. And you're like...it's been 2 damn days let people mourn their faith in their country a little longer.

Also, a lot of the people who are upset about Trump winning are going to be screwed over far more than the people who voted for him. Like, Trump called Mexicans rapists and thinks all Muslims are terrorists. If Trump had lost people would feel angry but I doubt they would feel genuinely afraid for their wellbeing in the way that many people are now that he's President. That is the key difference. There was a great rise in hate crimes against immigrants in the UK after Brexit. People were absolutely right to be afraid and upset and people had no business telling them to 'get over it' so soon.
it's not so much the fact that I blame them, it's the fact that I blame establishment crooks like hillary, whom they completely threw their weight behind during the election, for not opposing the electoral college before. they should have tried to reform it when they had the chance - and seeing as hillary never did want to do away with it, it is utterly hilarious that her supporters *do*. it's opportunistic. it's like when a small party enters the two party system and then completely forgets about electoral reform, like the liberals (not the lib dems*) in the UK system in the early part of the last century.
Reply 7
Everyone has the right to have a winge and complain if their side lost. I've watched enough football matches to realise that the better team does not always win. Doesn't mean that people have the right to riot if their team does not win.

As far as the OP's comments are concerned most riots in whatever country tend to be left-wing rather than right-wing so I don't think the reaction would have been the same if Trump had lost. The same people protesting and rioting would have probably then been out with their placards celebrating. For some reason left-wingers always have to be heard....they say empty vessels make the most noise!
Yes, but less. Right wingers tend to be older and more mature, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure there weren't riots in 2008 or 2012, or 1997, 2001, 2005. It's a grumble that you lost and get on with your life rather than cry about losing and start attacking your own community and police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's fine to protest and 'complain' about anything they want, but when it comes to attempting to deny a democratically elected president from office and rioting in the streets this is where the line is crossed.

I just wish more people can condemn these actions rather than trying to justify it by speculating what would happen if the outcome is opposite. I think these people are more concerned about their agenda than rather than concentrating on what's right or wrong.
Original post by Scitty
Same with people kicking off about that petition to redo the EU referendum: they apparently missed the fact that said petition was STARTED BY A LEAVE VOTER BEFORE THE RESULTS.

Yes, but it got pretty much no attention at all until the result came in and upset remain voters flooded it. The only reason it got so big was that a lot of remain voters wanted another go because the referendum didn't go their way. THAT is why people complained about it, and it's a perfectly valid complaint. Not to mention that the very idea of "we should re-do the vote if the margin of victory is only xyz%", which is what the petition was started as, is highly questionable in itself.

It's fair enough to speak out and complain about the consequeces of something if a vote doesn't go your way, but actually trying to overrule a vote (by trying to get a second referendum or another election or stuff like that) is downright stupid and a waste of energy.
Reply 11
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Yes, but it got pretty much no attention at all until the result came in and upset remain voters flooded it. The only reason it got so big was that a lot of remain voters wanted another go because the referendum didn't go their way. THAT is why people complained about it, and it's a perfectly valid complaint. Not to mention that the very idea of "we should re-do the vote if the margin of victory is only xyz%", which is what the petition was started as, is highly questionable in itself.

It's fair enough to speak out and complain about the consequeces of something if a vote doesn't go your way, but actually trying to overrule a vote (by trying to get a second referendum or another election or stuff like that) is downright stupid and a waste of energy.

I agree it's a stupid thing, I was not, and still am not, in support of a second referendum myself, but the point that you and many others have missed is that it was a petition started by someone pro-Brexit before the referendum took place, in case of a Remain victory. No one was yelling about it being undemocratic before Remain voters took over it. It's a pointless petition regardless of which side was trying to push it, but all the flack it got was because Remain voters were using it—not that a Brexit voter had started it in the first place for the exact reason you stated: in case things "didn't go his way".
There are whiny, sore losers on both sides of a referendum/election. THAT is the point. Giving the left-wing (or perhaps the best descriptor for the recent outcomes of the votes, losing) party **** when those flinging the taunts would've done the exact same thing had the tables been turned is just...hypocrisy and stupidity at its finest.
(edited 7 years ago)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/us-election-hillary-clinton-more-votes-popular-vote-any-candidate-barack-obama-donald-trump-a7413596.html

So the latest projection is that when all the votes are counted, Hilary will be on 63.4 million and Trump will be on 61.2 million.

Lets be honest, if HIlary had won on the electoral college and lost to Trump on the popular vote, there would have been outrage from the Trump supporters, and from Trump himself. They would be threatening that there will be "revolution" because it is "going against what the people voted for". Kind of like the concept of if Brexit gets blocked by Parliament.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/us-election-hillary-clinton-more-votes-popular-vote-any-candidate-barack-obama-donald-trump-a7413596.html

So the latest projection is that when all the votes are counted, Hilary will be on 63.4 million and Trump will be on 61.2 million.

Lets be honest, if HIlary had won on the electoral college and lost to Trump on the popular vote, there would have been outrage from the Trump supporters, and from Trump himself. They would be threatening that there will be "revolution" because it is "going against what the people voted for". Kind of like the concept of if Brexit gets blocked by Parliament.

And you know this how?
We would be unhappy, we would be grumpy and might complain on the internet. We wouldn't riot though. We wouldn't smash up police cars because we didn't win.
I don't know about the Brexit lot but the Trump ones definitely. Trump spent his entire campaign saying the election was rigged, condoned or egged on violence that occured at his rallies, said "Second amendment people" should take care of Hilary is she won and said he would only accept the results of the election if he won. If Clinton had one, there would undoubtedly have been riots, but it was pretty much a given that there would be riots at the end of this election.
Original post by Gwilym101
I don't know about the Brexit lot but the Trump ones definitely. Trump spent his entire campaign saying the election was rigged, condoned or egged on violence that occured at his rallies, said "Second amendment people" should take care of Hilary is she won and said he would only accept the results of the election if he won. If Clinton had one, there would undoubtedly have been riots, but it was pretty much a given that there would be riots at the end of this election.

It's the anti-Trump folk's own fault for protesting at his talks. They should just go to Bernie and Hillary's campaigns if they felt so strongly towards the democrats.
Reply 17
The reaction among the right wouldn't be remotely close to the level of violence we're seeing from the left. Not only are Trump and Brexit supporters older on average, but they expected the loss and were already afraid to show their support before the election.
There was outrage on Obama's victory too, "He gon take our guns, he the devil!", do you remember hearing reports of Obama voters being beaten up and humiliated on the streets while neighbourhoods are burned down? Nope.

Original post by Scitty
The thing that amuses me is those who voted Brexit and Trump were spouting similar rhetorics of "this vote is rigged", "democracy is dead", "we're going to fight if we lose", but quiet down suddenly when they win. If the election was rigged, it was rigged. That doesn't change because the person you wanted got in, right?

You should also mention how the same people rioting, protesting and I literally cannot evening called Trump and his supporters vile for not being able to accept the results if he lost.
(edited 7 years ago)
The last time right wingers lost something and complained was the 2005 GE. And that was because the electoral system was hugely unfair to the Tories
Course they would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending