The Student Room Group

Graduate unemployed for 3 years only worked for 3 months

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Honestly just sign up to agencies.
Try looking for local part time jobs. A lot of jobs like waitressing don't require much experience. They will offer on the job training as long as you show you have the right personality. Use your volunteering as a positive - what skills did you get? Do family or friends know of any work experience or job opportunities?

Don't assume you will be unemployed forever! It will take time, but you will get there! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by cheesecakelove
Try looking for local part time jobs. A lot of jobs like waitressing don't require much experience. They will offer on the job training as long as you show you have the right personality. Use your volunteering as a positive - what skills did you get? Do family or friends know of any work experience or job opportunities?

Don't assume you will be unemployed forever! It will take time, but you will get there! :smile:

Unfortunately I am still unemployed and nothing has changed since making this thread.
Original post by 888812
Unfortunately I am still unemployed and nothing has changed since making this thread.

Are you getting rejected before interview, or are you getting to interview and then getting rejected?
Have you considered evening classes or online courses to learn new skills which can add value to your CV? You do often have to pay but there are free online courses (you just pay for the certificate) and it gives you something else to focus on whilst you are waiting for work.
what degree did you do?
Tell us what bloody degree you have. subject class uni. Very little can be said with no info like this. this is such a stupid thread- it just gave me aids. we're all totally blind here. blind leading the blind.
Reply 27
Original post by 888812

If you are getting rejected before the interview stage, then I would consider taking my CV into a career's advisor and getting them to clean up your CV. Often, you might have the qualifications, but if the CV is poorly formatted, or you don't sell yourself, then it'll get discarded. Although there are plenty of guides and services online to help you clean up your CV as well.

If you are getting rejected after the interview stage, then again go into someplace like a career's advisor and ask for interview training. There's also a multitude of guides and videos online for you to build upon your skills. Personality really makes it or breaks it for a lot of people. They don't just want a skilled employee - they want someone who's motivated, extroverted and can get on well with people. Also consider how you dress for interviews as well, if you think it doesn't matter, then well it does. They want to see if you are professional and capable of following guidance. If they can't get that vibe from you in an interview then they'll think you'll be a troublesome employee.

I understand your frustration though. I've been unemployed for a while, and I've sent off hundreds of applications. However, I also have the factors that I'm not a graduate and I live in a small town, with the bigger cities not within commutable distance which can restrict my options. A lot of the time it is down to skills or experience - and getting experience is hard, because seemingly every employer wants one. Are you using a cover letter when you apply? Even if a job doesn't ask for one, it can be a really good way to sell yourself and really add extra information that your CV can't provide.

Have you applied for graduate schemes? What is your Degree in? Are the jobs you're applying for related to your Degree? Are you going for positions that require a lot of experience? We really need to hear more about your struggles in order to be able to offer solid advice, sending off applications is a big factor - but there's lots of reasons why that isn't working for you.

Have you tried getting something like a retail or hospitality job just to keep you afloat until you find something related to your degree, or are you getting knocked back from them as well? We need to know what sort of jobs you're applying for.
Original post by Arcane1729
Tell us what bloody degree you have. subject class uni. Very little can be said with no info like this. this is such a stupid thread- it just gave me aids. we're all totally blind here. blind leading the blind.

hahahaha
was thinking the same, but didnt really want to be that forward
Just sign up to a lot of agencies for any jobs and you should get something, this is how I started with very little experience, I just applied to anything advertised by agencies, even very low skilled jobs until I got lucky.
Reply 30
Any update?
Hey 888812

I know the feeling man, can be totally over whelming. There is lots of online info and advice i think you would find useful. There is a chatbot on FB messenger that give daily advice / tips. You can subscribe here: www.gradsquad.co.uk/gradsquadchatbot

Also, here is an example of some little hacks you may not have tried: https://www.gradsquad.co.uk/blog/do-these-6-things-before-applying-for-your-next-job

:smile:

span" style="font-family: Arial, Geneva, Lucida, sans-serif !important; background-color: rgb(139, 217, 236); border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(127, 202, 245); border-width: 1px 0px; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 2px; color: rgb(255, 255, 255); cursor: pointer; display: inline-block; font-size: 11px; font-weight: 700; height: 13px; line-height: 13px; margin: 0px 4px; padding: 0px 3px; position: relative; text-transform: lowercase;"> follow

0 followers

Joined TSR in Nov 2016

Any update?
Same, unemployed for 3 years. A few temp jobs but nothing substantial since I graduated in 2015. I think of suicide everyday now.
Reply 34
Original post by 888812
So I have spent 3 years unemployed. And I'm starting to panic a bit now. I did spend about 3 months working in a shop but I was laid off in the end.

I am now panicking because it has just hit me that I'm unemployable and might have to spend the rest of my life unemployed. I have volunteered at charity shops for a long time, but quite frankly that isn't enough for some jobs.

I've been unemployed / underemployed since finishing my BSc in 2015. I can't even think straight anymore and haven't applied for a job in a long time. I've just lost all confidence. I get the occasional call from recruiters but the jobs never offer training. I sometimes wonder if I am the only graduate trapped at home and wasting away after all these years.
Original post by help991
I've been unemployed / underemployed since finishing my BSc in 2015. I can't even think straight anymore and haven't applied for a job in a long time. I've just lost all confidence. I get the occasional call from recruiters but the jobs never offer training. I sometimes wonder if I am the only graduate trapped at home and wasting away after all these years.

What have you been doing since graduation, and what did you study?
Reply 36
Same situation. Four years next July.
Damn and I thought I was unlucky being unemployed for four months after graduation.

Volunteering - not just the simple charity shop volunteering but admin roles, really helped me land my part-time job.

And the part-time job helped me land a good full-time job.
if nobody will employ you .... why not employ yourself ?
Heh, I know how you feel, OP. I graduated in 2013 with a degree in English and I've been employed for a total of about 1 year over the past 5. I never really knew what I was doing, didn't network and have awful people skills, so I didn't last too long at the temp jobs I had previously.

I've started collecting licences recently though like SIA DS, PTS, CSCS, etc., so hopefully I won't be unemployed for too much longer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending