The Student Room Group

Mentally ill flatmate

I share a flat with one other friend that I met in student halls last year (we're both in second year). She has mental health issues and got worse over summer. I have tried to be supportive and have experience with people with depression but since living with her this year she seems to be in a downward spiral; feeling very low, sleeping during the day, smoking weed everyday, leaving mess everywhere. These things are not ideal for me to live with, as I am a clean, positive person but I feel unable to talk to her as she either gets defensive and targets me or becomes even more depressed in her room. She still attends uni and seems bright but I was especially worried when I went home for a week due to illness and she said afterwards that she was very suicidal. She has been referred to a psychiatrist by her counsellor and is on medication but I don't feel safe with her in the flat and constantly worry about upsetting her or finding her dead...
Original post by Sophie_louise97
I share a flat with one other friend that I met in student halls last year (we're both in second year). She has mental health issues and got worse over summer. I have tried to be supportive and have experience with people with depression but since living with her this year she seems to be in a downward spiral; feeling very low, sleeping during the day, smoking weed everyday, leaving mess everywhere. These things are not ideal for me to live with, as I am a clean, positive person but I feel unable to talk to her as she either gets defensive and targets me or becomes even more depressed in her room. She still attends uni and seems bright but I was especially worried when I went home for a week due to illness and she said afterwards that she was very suicidal. She has been referred to a psychiatrist by her counsellor and is on medication but I don't feel safe with her in the flat and constantly worry about upsetting her or finding her dead...

This is a really tough situation. There's only a limited amount you can do, but if you're really worried about her then speak to the uni and let them know- even if they do already, they might not all of it. That or if it's an immediate risk, 999.

Other than that there's not a lot you can do though other than making sure she knows you're there for her and that she can talk if she wants. Encourage her to eat etc if you can but don't go on about it, it'll push her away. Most of all look after your own mental health (again, uni support services- it's a situation that can take a huge toll on you) and remember that if anything happens, it is not your fault. Whatever it feels like. Hope that helps a bit
I would strongly suggest the Uni's support services and her parents are made aware. Then, I would also suggest you move out and find somewhere else to live. If this upsets her it is not your problem. Her mental health is not your responsibility.
Thank you for the messages, it helps getting some outside views. I have sent a message to the student advisers today. I do feel like it's hard to detach myself from her negativity and know something has to be done if she is suicidal. It's hard because I care about her as a friend, which makes me a lot more emotionally involved but I feel very out of my depth in this kind of situation.
Thank you for the messages, it helps getting some outside views. I have sent a message to the student advisers today. I do feel like it's hard to detach myself from her negativity and know something has to be done if she is suicidal. It's hard because I care about her as a friend, which makes me a lot more emotionally involved but I feel very out of my depth in this kind of situation.

It's too much for you to take on and you shouldn't have to anyway. You are not related to her. You need to spend your time at uni making sure YOU are well and healthy and able to focus on your education. Nothing and no-one should get in the way of that,certainly not a flat mate. I'm sure if your parents knew they would say the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by markova21
It's too much for you to take on and you shouldn't have to anyway. You are not related to her. You need to spend your time at uni making sure YOU are well and healthy and able to focus on your education. Nothing and no-one should get in the way of that,certainly not a flat mate. I'm sure if your parents knew they would say the same.

I agree that I need to look after myself and my mum has said the same actually! I will try to take on board the advice, thank you :h:
I agree that I need to look after myself and my mum has said the same actually! I will try to take on board the advice, thank you :h:

I just think that you [usually] only get one shot at uni. It's just three short years of your life. You have to do what's right for you. That isn't being callous or unkind to your friend in any way. You're not a Doctor, Psychiatrist, Counsellor or even a relation of hers. Just because you share accommodation with her doesn't mean you have to worry about her or stress yourself out because of her. Be kind, and by all means speak to someone at Uni [sounds to me like she shouldn't really be there, from what you have said]. But concentrate on yourself and why you wanted to go to Uni in the first place. Good luck !!
Original post by markova21
I just think that you [usually] only get one shot at uni. It's just three short years of your life. You have to do what's right for you. That isn't being callous or unkind to your friend in any way. You're not a Doctor, Psychiatrist, Counsellor or even a relation of hers. Just because you share accommodation with her doesn't mean you have to worry about her or stress yourself out because of her. Be kind, and by all means speak to someone at Uni [sounds to me like she shouldn't really be there, from what you have said]. But concentrate on yourself and why you wanted to go to Uni in the first place. Good luck !!

Thank you for being so helpful!!
Thank you for being so helpful!!

You're welcome. Good luck.

Why not try encouraging her to join some groups relating to any interests she might have? :h:
Original post by Vol Au Vent
Why not try encouraging her to join some groups relating to any interests she might have? :h:

I have tried and suggested things like yoga too, also invite her if I'm going out with our friends but she always declines and says she can't be bothered and she would rather stay in and smoke on her own :frown:
No sympathy for drug addicts is the common consensus on this thread. I think we all agree that the "victim" here deserves only distance. Then she Will realise just how destructive her habit is. The more risky solution is to literally drag her to a rehabilitation clinic.
Report her to the accommodation office. It is unfair that you have to live with someone who smokes and doesn't clear up after themselves. Disgusting behaviour.
she told me today that she tried ringing her ex several times with no answer so text him saying that he makes her want to kill herself, she thinks he deserves it because of his petty behaviour...
Sophie, I talk to young adults/children with mental health problems as part of my job.

You definitely are NOT responsible for your flatemate. The burden should not be on your shoulders. You are at university yourself to study and enjoy your life. From what you have said, you have been a good friend and done everything you can for your flat mate.

Sometimes when people are that depressed or have suicidal tendencies the only thing left is to seek medical advice and mental health advice. I see you have contacted student support and that your flat mate is on a waiting list to be seen by a psychiatrist. Sadly our mental health service is now beyond crisis and waiting times are unhappily the norm..often for many months.

In the meantime, your flat mate will not recover until expert help has been given. You have done all you can at this point. If your flat mate and their mental health issues are seriously impacting your quality of life, you must leave. You can calmly sit and tell your flat mate that while you support them and will always be a friend to them, the impact of their health issue is too much for you to bear, and so you must leave. Have this conversation calmly, but stick to your guns. Your flat mate may beg you to stay, threaten sucicide (and if they do call emergency services instantly) but your life and your university years are precious to you. Do not stay in this environment if it is impacting you severely.

Your flat mate will get help, but can only start to understand and recover from mental health issues IF THEY WANT TO. If your flat mate pushes help away, they cannot use you as a crutch to always be there for them. I know this is a form of tough love, but your studies and your own health must take priority here.

I hope this is of help,to you and I wish you all the very best, and your flatmates too.
Original post by Bernadette04
Sophie, I talk to young adults/children with mental health problems as part of my job.

You definitely are NOT responsible for your flatemate. The burden should not be on your shoulders. You are at university yourself to study and enjoy your life. From what you have said, you have been a good friend and done everything you can for your flat mate.

Sometimes when people are that depressed or have suicidal tendencies the only thing left is to seek medical advice and mental health advice. I see you have contacted student support and that your flat mate is on a waiting list to be seen by a psychiatrist. Sadly our mental health service is now beyond crisis and waiting times are unhappily the norm..often for many months.

In the meantime, your flat mate will not recover until expert help has been given. You have done all you can at this point. If your flat mate and their mental health issues are seriously impacting your quality of life, you must leave. You can calmly sit and tell your flat mate that while you support them and will always be a friend to them, the impact of their health issue is too much for you to bear, and so you must leave. Have this conversation calmly, but stick to your guns. Your flat mate may beg you to stay, threaten sucicide (and if they do call emergency services instantly) but your life and your university years are precious to you. Do not stay in this environment if it is impacting you severely.

Your flat mate will get help, but can only start to understand and recover from mental health issues IF THEY WANT TO. If your flat mate pushes help away, they cannot use you as a crutch to always be there for them. I know this is a form of tough love, but your studies and your own health must take priority here.

I hope this is of help,to you and I wish you all the very best, and your flatmates too.

Thank you for your reply and I feel like she is not getting enough help from the counselling/ mental health services as she is only getting worse. I am also trying to keep my own sanity in a situation like this
I have tried and suggested things like yoga too, also invite her if I'm going out with our friends but she always declines and says she can't be bothered and she would rather stay in and smoke on her own :frown:

Reminds me a slight bit of my mum at her house. :frown:
You are clearly doing your best but you also have to draw some boundaries too. It's okay to say 'you need to not smoke weed in the living room/wash up your pots' - it's a very reasonable thing. If you feel she isn't safe then you can call 999 and ask them to send someone over. You don't need to take responsibility for her behaviour.

She sounds an absolute nightmare. Do you want to be living with that? And going into your final year with someone like that around? Finals are stressful enough without having to worry about all that! If you don't feel like it's working, then ask her to move, or you move - don't feel obliged to deal with someone else's problems.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending