The Student Room Group

Is it weird to travel alone?

I was discussing this with my mum and she said that only weirdos do it alone. I think she's being close minded/overprotective and am sure that many people do it. Is there some way of convincing her that it's normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
She's just overprotective. Tell her it's better for you to discover the world

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not weird - it's actually really fun to do what you like. When I was 13 I travelled to Sweden on the flight alone and spent a week and a half at my grandma's, and most of the days I spent time by myself doing the things I wanted without anyone else. It's really fun and you get to meet other people. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but travelling by yourself can actually be a really good and eye-opening experience.
I'm doing my first solo backpacking trip in the summer this year. Some people will say it's weird but those are often older people or people that have never really been anywhere. End of the day, it's your life. Live it how you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I don't think it's weird and I want to do that too! Sure it will give you better chance to explore and discover new things. But similar to you, my mom and dad seems overprotective too...
I wouldn't say it's weird but it's probably more dangerous.
The people who think it is weird are weird.
Don't regard that intention of yours as weird. It is just you have no one who accompanies and talk with you during travelling. But that seems to be the least problem. Have thought about that often too. Could be I will travel alone one day. So, don't sweat it!
Original post by Mistletoe
I wouldn't say it's weird but it's probably more dangerous.

Those are my concerns too. There are surely enough under 18 people who have not the required matureness to travel alone, so without a family member or good friends. But in turn there are also enough ones who have, Always a matter of case.
Been there, done that.

It's not weird, but it's not all it's cracked up to be either. It's always more fun to go with friends/ family.
I travel alone a lot, the only downside I've experienced is that I tick a box and end up getting 'randomly searched' pretty much every time. Kind of annoying but if they want to rifle around in my suitcase full of questionable laundry every time, so be it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kallisto
There are surely enough under 18 people who have not the required matureness to travel alone...

There are 'enough' over-18s too. Nor is the problem restricted to individuals. In fact, a group full of idiots egging eachother on is probably the most dangerous of the lot.

Down to the individual.
Original post by Rhaenys10
Been there, done that.

It's not weird, but it's not all it's cracked up to be either. It's always more fun to go with friends/ family.

Out of interest why do you say it's not all it's cracked up to be? I've always thought that you're far more likely to meet more people in your own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your ma's just jealous because she never had the balls to do it.. get out there, dont let anyone stop you doing what you want to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have never traveled alone, but sometimes want to try. I don't think that this is borring. Anyway, if will not try - how can you know? It can also be attributed for anything we are doing.:wink:
Not in the slightest bit weird :-D Without a shadow of a doubt, go for it!
It's not weird - it allows to go at your own pace, and have moments of self-realisation too, not to mention building self-confidence and resilience (you can't take 3 different trains and walk a couple of miles to get to a booked hotel in a country where you don't speak the language without have some resilience and resourcefulness).

This being said, it's obviously a bit more dangerous, especially depending on where you go.

Might be prejudice, but if you're looking to travel to somewhere with a less than desirable reputation, then perhaps bring a friend.
I did it alone. Probably about a third of the people I met while travelling were alone. You make friends as you go. If you're staying in hostels then even if you check into a room with a bunch of friends already settled in as long as you aren't afraid to introduce yourself to them you'll do fine. Most times they'll invite you along to something they have planned or sometimes it's worth being a bit forward and inviting yourself.

I'm not saying I'm not weird though.
Not weird at all. One of the best things about travelling is the people you meet.
Reply 19
Original post by travelhog
Not weird at all. One of the best things about travelling is the people you meet.

^ agreed!

There are pros and cons obviously about traveling with people. But I think it's the best way to end up meeting lots of new people !

Quick Reply

Latest