The Student Room Group

Anyone Ever Done a Gliding Scholarship?

Hey

Any of you done an RAF GS?

Do one, if you get the chance - great fun! Also, they give you a big advantage if you want a career in the RAF, or in civvie street.

Scroll to see replies

Do you mean an Air Training Corps GS??
Reply 2
Yup

I am CCF (ATC is **** - sorry, had to be done!:wink: )
Yeah but you aren't RAF, and it's a acholarship run by the Air Training Corps.

You might be better off HERE
Reply 4
Run by the ATC - CCF(RAF) do it - often in greater numbers...
No. Other way round. ATC do far more.
Reply 6
Yeah I did mine at Syerston last month. Got solo standard. I don' think it does give you that much an advantage does it?
Nope!
Reply 8
yeh, i did mine in about 3 weekends when i was 16
Steve
Reply 9
God! The whold RAF/CCF debate does my head in! i did a gliding scholarship and the ATC ppl were really serious in there opionions of how the CCF was so much worse. WHO GIVES!!!!!

Ok tantrum over.:biggrin:
Reply 10
How can you tell the difference between a CCF(RAF) Cadet and an ATC one...?

The CCF guy won't be stood at the end out a check-out shaking a bucket of change :biggrin: :wink:

Hehehe

(Before an ATC bod shouts me down - I am aware that the ATC at not allowed to wear the real RAF cap badge, this being another difference :p:)
Reply 11
Raf_Sam
How can you tell the difference between a CCF(RAF) Cadet and an ATC one...?

The CCF guy won't be stood at the end out a check-out shaking a bucket of change :biggrin: :wink:

Hehehe

(Before an ATC bod shouts me down - I am aware that the ATC at not allowed to wear the real RAF cap badge, this being another difference :p:)

I thought the answer was that most CCF cadets are lazy and arrogant!! At least they go home 'educated' in hard work and teamwork.
Reply 12
I've been through a GS, AGT1, AGT2, G2, G1 and am a C-Cat. It helps with the aptitude tests at OASC for sure. Well only if you grasped coordination!!! :smile:
Having a glider scholarship won't matter one iota when you're sat in the classroom on your first groundschool, being bamboozled by engine fuel systems, hydraulics, oil systems and electrics.
Reply 14
Rizza Razzu
Having a glider scholarship won't matter one iota when you're sat in the classroom on your first groundschool, being bamboozled by engine fuel systems, hydraulics, oil systems and electrics.

true, but knowing car mechanics like the back of your hand will :wink:
Reply 15
dave_perry
Yeah I did mine at Syerston last month. Got solo standard. I don' think it does give you that much an advantage does it?

Was that with ACCGS or one of the VGS's there?
I'm an ex-VGS instructor (vig)
Reply 17
The dark side... Viking fleet is where its happening:p:
Reply 18
Lady venom, which VGS were you at? Im currently doing mine,probably going solo next week.
Reply 19
Rizza Razzu

... you've never done EFT groundschool, have you...?

Quick Reply

Latest