The Student Room Group

Can you redo uni coursework if you fail it?

So I just handed in 3 essays for my uni coursework, and I am only happy with one of them. The other two are ridiculously bad as I ran out of time, and I'm really worried I have failed them. I think I need to get at least 40% to pass but I honestly don't even think I will have got that. does anyone know if uni's allow you to redo essays or is that just with exams?
If you fail the coursework, you'll usually have a chance to resubmit it, though any grade awarded will be capped at a Pass (40)

'Ran out of time'...how long did you have to do them, then? :wink:
Original post by Reality Check
If you fail the coursework, you'll usually have a chance to resubmit it, though any grade awarded will be capped at a Pass (40)

oh ok hopefully it wont be too disastrous then :smile:
well we were set the questions weeks ago, and I did start them then I just seem to take forever writing them and it got to the point where I was just writing words to make up the word count. so its my own fault really!
Original post by Reality Check

No need to be so patronising, when you have several essays due at once if you get stuck on one then that leaves you with less time for the others. Happened to me several times.
Original post by jelly1000
No need to be so patronising, when you have several essays due at once if you get stuck on one then that leaves you with less time for the others. Happened to me several times.

It's not patronising; it's called time management and not having it usually leads to the title of the OP's thread. We all have several things to manage at once and multiple deadlines to meet. That's life, but it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) necessarily lead to having to resubmit coursework because you've failed it!

I think the OP's fully aware of this, anyway :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)

Couldn't stand when people moaned about having 3 deadlines on the same day when they'd had weeks and weeks to do the essays. It's simple time management and prioritising. If you get stuck on one then you spend more time during the 10 days you allocated to it and then prioritise the next essay, better to submit 2 good and 1 essay you struggled with than potentially leave yourself with 2 essays where you didn't have enough time and one which you spent ages on but struggled and is probably still not amazing.

OP you only redo if you outright fail and then it's capped at 40%
I had 4 essays that was in all in the same week and these were 3000 worded essays. At the end of the day it is about time management and prioritising your work.

Make sure you've learned from this mistake and try and not hold of things until the last minute.
You should probably take a look at your university hand book so you understand how university courses are run and what this means in terms of grades.

Generally speaking you don't get a chance to re-do coursework unless it is an outright fail. And at some universities you may not get a chance to re-do coursework if you still got a pass overall in the module despite failing one component.

TBF I dont think he was being patonising but was making a relevant point.

If I were the OP then id be asking myself the same question and looking at my time management.

@jellybeanbabytot

They are in now, so not much to be done. Chill and wait for the results.

If you really need to know then the rules will be on your uni website or your student handbook. As already said its most likely if you fail then that may mean the whole module, in which case they will allow resubmission, but capped at 40% for the module. If you feel the deadlines given to you were unreasonable then you cna consider an appeal, especially if something happened to make it difficult for you to finsih, although such events are made before submission for an extension.

Not all is lost thugh because if you read the rules, then it may be possible to discount a module when they come to the final degree grade. You would need to look at the rules for this. If you arent very good at rules, then go and see the SU advisor or ask your student rep .
This is something that varies from uni to uni- check your course handbook/ask your tutor/ director of studies
First of all, wait until you get your results back. Then, you can think about the alternative options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending