The Student Room Group

2017 A LEVEL journey to A*A*A*A*!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 01.ash
Hey :smile:
I'm currently doing AS, but the teaching in my school sucks, so I was thinking of becoming a private candidate for A2 next year. do you think this is a good idea? what do you use for studying? I usually go on youtube but I don't feel that it is enough.
Also, good luck on your exams! your grades are impressive.

Hey.

I generally use past papers, the endorsed textbook (for the Sciences) and I always have the specification with me as a checklist. I also recommend GCP books, but you need to be careful with these books, since the phrasing in these books are not always accurate in comparison to the endorsed textbook. I suggest using the GCP book, when you are struggling to understand a specific topic and need something that simplifies the information.

I do think it is possible to self-teach yourself. However at times, I have needed the help of a teacher to justify any questions that I may be confused with, and I was more motivated when I was surrounded by others in classes. However, I think it depends on the individual, and how self-motivated you are.

I also wish you luck with your AS exams!:smile:
26/05/2017

:colonhash:
I'm exhausted...
Original post by AlphaFrog9
Hi GreenTron6,

It's been a while and i thought it'd nice to check back to see your progress, you're complete right about saying its time to increase workload, this next week for me is tremendous.

I have to revise and do papers for about 7 maths modules, all of which have to be at around 70/75 by the end of next week. I need to finish all of chem and compsci old spec papers (i have about 16 chem papers + 20 compsci papers).

Me and my friend decided to start really pushing for an A* in chem so we were thinking of doing some Olympiad past papers too. Is it me, or is an A* in Old spec papers roughly equate to a mid A in new spec, i feel the increase in difficulty has been insane. is there anything you're planning to assure the A* in Chemistry, apart from the sky high pile of old spec papers?

Keep at it, only about a month and a half left. When you feel everything crashing down, pick yourself up and borrow energy from the future you. Don't make it so that you wished you worked harder. Incredible what you're doing!

Hey! It's nice to hear from you again!

I hope all goes well in your upcoming exams.
For Chemistry, I'm at the point where it's nearly impossible to do all the past papers (I left it a little bit too late...:redface:), so I've printed every single Old spec past paper and decided to annotate the unfamiliar or tricky questions and then revise the answer.
There are also two new spec Chem practice papers available (for teachers). Do you have access to these? If not, I can send them to you! The new spec papers mainly have new Maths-based questions and a proportion of these questions are quite difficult to get your head around! Additionally, if you have the textbook, I suggest doing all the end of topic questions since the style of these questions is exactly the same as the new spec. Also, there are some multiple choice questions on the OCR website, which I can also send to you.
I'm hoping for low grade boundaries this year, but I'm not relying on it and will continue to work hard!

Let's ace Chem together!:smile:
Original post by greentron6
Hey.

I generally use past papers, the endorsed textbook (for the Sciences) and I always have the specification with me as a checklist. I also recommend GCP books, but you need to be careful with these books, since the phrasing in these books are not always accurate in comparison to the endorsed textbook. I suggest using the GCP book, when you are struggling to understand a specific topic and need something that simplifies the information.

I do think it is possible to self-teach yourself. However at times, I have needed the help of a teacher to justify any questions that I may be confused with, and I was more motivated when I was surrounded by others in classes. However, I think it depends on the individual, and how self-motivated you are.

I also wish you luck with your AS exams!:smile:

Thank you! Good luck to you too
27/05/2017

Only 16 days remaining until my first exam! And so much work to do!!!!!

I was able to do quite a lot of work today!

Biology

I have completed all Unit 4 papers. Instead of practicing a full timed papers, I decided to annotate the tricky aspects of the remaining papers.

I also annotated a Unit 5 and Unit 4 paper.

I browsed through Topic 1 content in the textbook.

Chemistry

I annotated four Chem papers, just like Biology

I browsed through Topic 1 in the textbook, and attempted the end of topic questions (My result was 44/50).

Mathematics

C3 IYGB PAPER C - 70/75

M1 Silver Paper 1 - 70/75

Once again, marks were lost due to silly errors...:redface:

German

Searched for any unknown German vocab

Completed some German translation, reading and listening exercises.

28/05/2017

Today, I worked solely on Biology and Chemistry. I have finished annotating all the Unit 5 Bio papers and I annotated a few Bio Unit 1 and 2 papers. I also had a look through Topic 2 in the Biology textbook. For Chemistry, I browsed through Topic 2 in the textbook and attempted the end of the Topic questions as well as Multiple Choice questions.
29/05/2017

14 DAYS LEFT!

I'm feeling quite optimistic (but exhausted at the same time...)

Today, I complete more Chem questions from the textbook and I have learnt a few new things!:smile: I have completed all the Chem papers, so I intend to start going through them tomorrow.

I also practised a German paper and the result was 66/70. I did make a few silly errors.

Additionally, I reviewed a few Biology past papers.

:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:
Hey! It's nice to hear from you again!

I hope all goes well in your upcoming exams.
For Chemistry, I'm at the point where it's nearly impossible to do all the past papers (I left it a little bit too late...:redface:), so I've printed every single Old spec past paper and decided to annotate the unfamiliar or tricky questions and then revise the answer.
There are also two new spec Chem practice papers available (for teachers). Do you have access to these? If not, I can send them to you! The new spec papers mainly have new Maths-based questions and a proportion of these questions are quite difficult to get your head around! Additionally, if you have the textbook, I suggest doing all the end of topic questions since the style of these questions is exactly the same as the new spec. Also, there are some multiple choice questions on the OCR website, which I can also send to you.
I'm hoping for low grade boundaries this year, but I'm not relying on it and will continue to work hard!

Let's ace Chem together!:smile:

Could you send me them please.
29/05/2017

14 DAYS LEFT!

I'm feeling quite optimistic (but exhausted at the same time...)

Today, I complete more Chem questions from the textbook and I have learnt a few new things!:smile: I have completed all the Chem papers, so I intend to start going through them tomorrow.

I also practised a German paper and the result was 66/70. I did make a few silly errors.

Additionally, I reviewed a few Biology past papers.

:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:

14 days till your first exam? when's your last exam and what is it?

I'm doing AS' and most people finish before half term but all the science dragged to after half term is it the same with A level in which the sciences are the last exams to finish?! I'm finishing AS exams tomorrow! yey, finally.
Well i guess reading this thread is procrastination, I better get back to studying.
HI GUYS,

Do you still remember me? I've been so occupied with work that I kinda forgot about this page. but I'd like to give you an update on my results...and they are...

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
HI GUYS,

Do you still remember me? I've been so occupied with work that I kinda forgot about this page. but I'd like to give you an update on my results...and they are...

Spoiler

Wow those grades are amazing! Well done, you should be very proud :smile:
HI GUYS,

Spoiler

Congratulations! Very happy for you and well done!
HI GUYS,

Spoiler

Congratulations on your grades and on Imperial! What are you studying?
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Congratulations on your grades and on Imperial! What are you studying?

Biochem with German for Science.
HI GUYS,

Spoiler

Congratulations on your grades. Any tips or tricks for Biology and Chemistry?
wow
Original post by PeterHopkinson
Congratulations on your grades. Any tips or tricks for Biology and Chemistry?

I think the biggest tip would be to analyse the mark schemes to understand the way in which examiners want you to phrase your work. You may know a particular topic very well, but if you don't phrase it in a specific (and quite rigid) way, you may not obtain the marks. So make notes using the mark schemes.

Also, do practise papers like crazy!!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Congratulations on your grades.
Original post by spectral_theory
Congratulations on your grades.

Thank you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending