The Student Room Group

Constant headaches

For a while now, I have had constant headaches mainly ones similar to tension headaches on the forehead and then ice pick headaches that shoot from the front to the back of my head. I don't know what to do, I don't have a lot of time to go to the doctors and i feel like they wouldn't really do much about it as I have had problems with going to the doctors in the past. I normally take some paracetamol and and ibuprofen but a lot of the time it doesn't work. It's really beginning to affect my ability to study and concentrate in school. What do I do?
It's never really a migraine i don't think and I do drink a lot, even though it isn't water all the time, its normally tea or juice, I guess saying that it would probably be my diet and exercise which has gone downhill lately.
1. Self-diagnosing on the NHS website will say you've got every disorder/disease under the sun. It's okay to give maybe a rough idea of what may be wrong but there's no substitute for a trip to your GP.

2. Migraines are nothing like headaches, the latter can be fairly painful but that's about it. Migraines give you extreme sensitivity to light and sometimes other senses like sounds, they make you throw up, give you blurred vision and can even cause you to faint.

3. I know you said you don't take many painkillers but definitely keep it that way. Taking ibuprofen/paracetamol for a headache every day can actually start to cause the headaches themselves, it's a vicious cycle.
Original post by jess_the_hobbit
For a while now, I have had constant headaches mainly ones similar to tension headaches on the forehead and then ice pick headaches that shoot from the front to the back of my head. I don't know what to do, I don't have a lot of time to go to the doctors and i feel like they wouldn't really do much about it as I have had problems with going to the doctors in the past. I normally take some paracetamol and and ibuprofen but a lot of the time it doesn't work. It's really beginning to affect my ability to study and concentrate in school. What do I do?

I have a similar issue, usually when I have had a busy day (e.g. full day at uni) I get a bad headache, similar to what your describing. I come home and then just have to sleep, it also affects my studies. I'd rather not take drugs for it as a short nap solves it most of the times-though this is a bit inconvenient.

I've found that drinking caffeinated products like coffee/mocha/cappuccino also relieves the headache, this is far more convenient, check this article...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1275419/Best-cure-migraine-headaches-cup-coffee-two.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending