The Student Room Group

shared bills

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gigglebar
I sent the payment through a transfer and he told me he had recieved it. He is now telling me there is a £30 fee to pay for me being late (£10 per day) even though the payment was due on the 9th (2 days ago =£20) I have told him I would pay the £10 for the one day I was late, but he refused and contacted CAB. I presume this is because he cannot afford the extra £20 cos he goes and gets pissed every night. surely this is not my responsibility to pay! I am not paying for his nights out when my account was frozen due to fraud as this is the second attempt at fraud in the past 3 months. This was all discussed before the payment was due. My original post was just to see if anyone knew legal advice but it got blown out of proportion. It was a £14 bill payment i missed, if someone has less than £20 in their bank account, what is the point of having an account in the first place?

I suggest you contact Santander and try to work out what the correct bills and penalties have happened. I feel unsure of anything he says, but its a lot easier if you see the account and can verify for yourself what you are dealing with.

No harm in asking him for proof of the charges and if he won't provide then dont pay, but try and get confirmation from Santander.

CAB wont tell him a whole lot other than its probably not worth the effort. the most that would happen is he will chunter along about the fee.

If it were me I would pay for what I was responsible for and no more, hence needing to make sure you know what it is. Dont get bullied and see it though but try not to stress.
Original post by Glassapple
Again it goes back to well he said this, she said that, nothing was signed. We agreed verbally on a Saturday morning after a night of heavy drinking that I would send you £14 each month for broadband payments. Prove it. You're right in that the person who signed must pay in whatever circumstances; it is their responsibility to source the money for the bill they signed up to pay.

More than anything the only court that would consider it is a small claims court and by the time you pay fees it costs more than the bill and even iff the court says you have to pay they can't force you the claimant has to pass it up the chain as a non payment of confirmed debt costing even more money
Original post by niteninja1
More than anything the only court that would consider it is a small claims court and by the time you pay fees it costs more than the bill and even iff the court says you have to pay they can't force you the claimant has to pass it up the chain as a non payment of confirmed debt costing even more money

Exactly, it's not worth pursuing and spending so much time and money on to get less back.
Exactly, it's not worth pursuing and spending so much time and money on to get less back.

My grandfather sued someone for £1500 once by the end of it he got £50 back (they repaid legal fees but loss of income as self imployed).
Original post by Sternumator
That's right. As I said, there is a contract between the company and the person on the contract. The person on the contract must pay the company what they agreed wherever that money comes from.

That does not mean that there is not a separate contract between OP and the main bill payer to pay him towards the bills. The OP is liable to the bill payer for that contract. If it was agreed that the a contribution be paid on a certain date and that has been breached, the bill payer should be compensated for that.

Entirely correct again. I cna just imagine what the registrar would say.
Original post by 999tigger
Entirely correct again. I cna just imagine what the registrar would say.

If you want to spend £750+ to get £14 back and waste everybody's time, sure.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by niteninja1

I think thats acknowledged but in their case as they are paricularly obnoxious, hen I would make an allowance. If I was poor then I would get a fee waiver, if I wasnt then I would pursue it for the fun and to damage their credit rating. It would be worth it.
I think thats acknowledged but in their case as they are paricularly obnoxious, hen I would make an allowance. If I was poor then I would get a fee waiver, if I wasnt then I would pursue it for the fun and to damage their credit rating. It would be worth it.

Yeah, you clearly have so much going on in your life... Credit ratings over less than twenty quid because you have nothing else to do. I can only imagine how much fun your life is.
If you want spend £750+ to get £14 back and waste everybody's time, sure.

It wouldnt cost £750. If I was poor then I could get a fee waiver.

It's £35 court fee and ofc I would be recovering all the additional fees from you.
Reply 89
I suggest you contact Santander and try to work out what the correct bills and penalties have happened. I feel unsure of anything he says, but its a lot easier if you see the account and can verify for yourself what you are dealing with.

No harm in asking him for proof of the charges and if he won't provide then dont pay, but try and get confirmation from Santander.

CAB wont tell him a whole lot other than its probably not worth the effort. the most that would happen is he will chunter along about the fee.

If it were me I would pay for what I was responsible for and no more, hence needing to make sure you know what it is. Dont get bullied and see it though but try not to stress.

I asked him to send me a screenshot or something and he blew up at me saying aload of **** about trust and ****. So if he wasnt providing proof then i guessed it was not my fault he was in the overdraft. I don't think santander would give me any confirmation because it could be account specific. for example if he keeps going into his overdraft which he does, they could be adding additional charges. Its stressing me out cos I have a busy life anyway (all students do) but im working 7 days a week (as a student nurse) and dont need all this **** ontop of it.
I asked him to send me a screenshot or something and he blew up at me saying aload of **** about trust and ****. So if he wasnt providing proof then i guessed it was not my fault he was in the overdraft. I don't think santander would give me any confirmation because it could be account specific. for example if he keeps going into his overdraft which he does, they could be adding additional charges. Its stressing me out cos I have a busy life anyway (all students do) but im working 7 days a week (as a student nurse) and dont need all this **** ontop of it.

Just tell him youd like confirmation of the charge and will payment when youve received proof or offer to pay half.Its up to you.

They wont discuss his account but they could tell you how it might work in a standard student account and whether it makes sense. Its just more information.

Its all a bit dull, but he cant do anything except throw a strop or whatever a bad housemante might do. Would he steal stuff?

CAB has e-mail and online chat options.

You also might want to consider getting everyone onto one of the bill paying services so you are just responsible for your own share.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/
Reply 91
Just tell him youd like confirmation of the charge and will payment when youve received proof or offer to pay half.Its up to you.

They wont discuss his account but they could tell you how it might work in a standard student account and whether it makes sense. Its just more information.

Its all a bit dull, but he cant do anything except throw a strop or whatever a bad housemante might do. Would he steal stuff?

CAB has e-mail and online chat options.

You also might want to consider getting everyone onto one of the bill paying services so you are just responsible for your own share.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

Ive looked into the online chat, only available between certain hours. i will get intouch with them tomorrow. I will talk to them about setting up paying systems but i doubt he will go for it he likes claiming money for the overdraft. he has done it to me twice now and to the other house mate a few times. he would probably steal stuff. wouldnt be the first time.
Ive looked into the online chat, only available between certain hours. i will get intouch with them tomorrow. I will talk to them about setting up paying systems but i doubt he will go for it he likes claiming money for the overdraft. he has done it to me twice now and to the other house mate a few times. he would probably steal stuff. wouldnt be the first time.

Why not discuss it with other housemates and someone take over as being responsible for bb? Someone he wont mess with? The way to aboid any argyments is to pay him 1 month in advance and get a receipt. his bank charges are his own problem then. he just sounds like a poor housemate to have.
Hmm quite interesting.

Its not really your fault as there was nothing you could do. Even though you tried. Why was the other person in the overdraft, maybe he should have been more careful instead of taking all the responsibility. He could have been scammed quite easily.
However if I was him, I would be quite annoyed. I think maybe you should pay it as it was YOUR account or pay half? How much is it??

Not your fault, but you didnt pay.
Information is getting muddled. I missed a £14 broadband payment by 1 day. if this was to send someone into overdraft, then that would not cause an immediate fee. this would mean that he would have had to be in overdraft for about a week before the fee was initiated. I payed my share of the bill 1 day late. He must have already been in his overdraft to get the fee 1 day later. I PAID MY PART OF THE BILL. it was not rent, it was £14. whoever has less than £14 in their bank anyway is a dunce and waiting for an overdraft fee

waiit what? It was £14??? Then its more his fault for being in his overdraft.
Reply 95

5 pages of embarrassing comments with a complete fixation and terrible grasp of the law. Please stop.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by josh_v
5 pages of embarrassing comments with a complete fixation and terrible grasp of the law. Please stop.

I had, thanks for quoting me and starting it again. I see your lack of social skills is terrifying.
Reply 97
Hi guys,
I moved into shared accomodation and we split all the bills.
One of my house mates is lead bill payer and is now in his overdraft because i paid a day late because my bank account had been put on hold due to fraud.
He has been charged a fee for going into his overdraft. Is this fee my responsibility even though I paid my part of the bill and they didnt have sufficiant funds or is it my responsibility?
Thankz in advance.

When you say fraud; did you give your card details to a dodgy site, or was it a dodgy ATM?

Either way; legally it's his responsibility and he's stupid for making it so, but morally it was your late payment that caused the issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: just seen it was only £14 for broadband (which sounds a bit much considering there's a group of you splitting it, however), it's his own stupid fault for having that little money in his account.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 98
I had, thanks for quoting me and starting it again. I see your lack of social skills is terrifying.

What about it terrifies you?
Original post by Andy98
When you say fraud; did you give your card details to a dodgy site, or was it a dodgy ATM?

Either way; legally it's his responsibility and he's stupid for making it so, but morally it was your late payment that caused the issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: just seen it was only £14 for broadband (which sounds a bit much considering there's a group of you splitting it, however), it's his own stupid fault for having that little money in his account.

Whilst he is a bit stupid for running such a low account, if the actual reason the charge was incurred was due to the late payment then thats down to the late payer. He would have to prove it though.

£14 sounds about right if it includeds line rental. It could include other stuff as well such as TV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending