The Student Room Group

Best university for fashion designing in the UK?

So basically I am thinking about going into fashion designing (not sure yet, wanted to do it for a very long time) and am wondering if anyone can suggest me some good universities for fashion designing. I have always wanted to do it but have always been super confused about it as it is a quite risky field since you're either at the absolute top or right at the bottom.

I have done A levels and my grades aren't that bad to be honest as I have 3 B's in Biology, Chemistry and Physics overall. So yeah, just wondering if anyone is studying fashion designing at the moment and how your experience has been in addition to which university you are going to!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noara
So basically I am thinking about going into fashion designing (not sure yet, wanted to do it for a very long time) and am wondering if anyone can suggest me some good universities for fashion designing. I have always wanted to do it but have always been super confused about it as it is a quite risky field since you're either at the absolute top or right at the bottom.

I have done A levels and my grades aren't that bad to be honest as I have 3 B's in Biology, Chemistry and Physics overall. So yeah, just wondering if anyone is studying fashion designing at the moment and how your experience has been in addition to which university you are going to!

Are you taking a creative course at the moment (art foundation diploma? or similar)? You'll need a portfolio of design work for entry onto a design course - sketchbooks, development work, finished pieces etc.
Original post by hotshot2102
fashion designing is not a university course, it is a higher level btec.

Really?
https://www.businessoffashion.com/education/rankings/2016 <= world fashion rankings

http://www.arts.ac.uk/fashion/ <= an entire university college dedicated to fashion

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=view&code=W230 <= fashion design at a russell group university

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsa/undergraduate/courses/wj24_ba_fashion_and_textile_design.page? <= fashion design at another russell group university (note the rusell group doesn't mean **** about quality of courses in the fashion industry)

http://www.graduatefashionweek.com/ <= it's amazing that such an enormous event happens from a "higher level btec"

:rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Apparently it's st Martins according to my textiles teacher... she never bloody shut up about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by CarysJSLewis
What is your problem?
"Maybe instead of wasting your time posting pointless things on student room"... seems a bit hypocritical methinks...

Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow u haven't done badly. Three B's. Maybe instead of wasting your time posting pointless things on student room, you should actually sit down and open your revision textbook. By the way, fashion designing is not a university course, it is a higher level btec.

Why don't you get a life...
That's not very friendly, I thought we are free to post all our opinions on TSR
Original post by timster32
Why don't you get a life...

stop ganging up on him. he expressed his opinion.
Don't you have anything better to do then do research for a girl who is to lazy to open up a new tab and type fashion design degrees onto google. Stick to an apprenticeship luv.

I was responding to your ignorance not to the OP - I've always got time to educate someone who is shouting ignorant comments around TSR :yes:
why are you taking 3 sciences for alevels if you want to go into fashion designing?
Original post by Aanyung-hello
stop ganging up on him. he expressed his opinion.

He's being mean to the OP for nor reason, three B's isn't that bad, he's just upset because he didn't get into Cambridge.
Original post by timster32
He's being mean to the OP for nor reason, three B's isn't that bad, he's just upset because he didn't get into Cambridge.

nah he got rejected from oxford. man didn't even get an interview ffs
Original post by PQ
I was responding to your ignorance not to the OP - I've always got time to educate someone who is shouting ignorant comments around TSR :yes:

thank god. what would we do without you.
Original post by PQ

Wow this really is the definition of a modern hero. Why don't you actually fix up and focus on your education?
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
Are you taking a creative course at the moment (art foundation diploma? or similar)? You'll need a portfolio of design work for entry onto a design course - sketchbooks, development work, finished pieces etc.

No I'm not! I'm actually taking a gap year and trying to figure out what I want to do next at university haha!

I know! It's just a bit overwhelming considering that I've never really taken arts as a subject apart from school. So a bit confused as to where to start from. I'm considering applying to UAL even though it's extremely competitive but eh, you never know until you try. So lets see haha
Reply 15
Wow u haven't done badly. Three B's. Maybe instead of wasting your time posting pointless things on student room, you should actually sit down and open your revision textbook. By the way, fashion designing is not a university course, it is a higher level btec.

Untitled.jpg

Hey I got your message mentioning how you're desperate for attention and how you're 'sorry' for being rude.

P.S- Wondering how well you did when you screwed up your A levels :redface:

Also, please do your research, arrogant ignorant random 'hotshot'. Fashion designing IS a university course.
Reply 16
Original post by jimout
Apparently it's st Martins according to my textiles teacher... she never bloody shut up about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh! I've heard a lot about it too! I'm actually going to try out for it!

Btw if you don't mind me asking, what are you planning on doing/ are doing? Is it related to fashion? Just wondering haha
Reply 17
Original post by Aanyung-hello
why are you taking 3 sciences for alevels if you want to go into fashion designing?

Well, I did three A levels in Science because at that time I wasn't sure if I wanted to actually do fashion designing due to the high risk involved in it in terms of being successful. Also, I couldn't do any arts A levels as they're not really available where I live so I didn't really ever had that option which honestly sucks haha. So I sort of just went for the three most ...versatile A levels I guess? I'll also be taking Maths A level exams in May/June so there's that.
Original post by Noara
No I'm not! I'm actually taking a gap year and trying to figure out what I want to do next at university haha!

I know! It's just a bit overwhelming considering that I've never really taken arts as a subject apart from school. So a bit confused as to where to start from. I'm considering applying to UAL even though it's extremely competitive but eh, you never know until you try. So lets see haha

It would be a good idea to look into applying for an art foundation diploma. Those are 1 year full time FE (so equivalent to A levels) courses that give you the time and support to develop your drawing and design skills and to explore your own style.

They're tuition fee free if you're under 19 when you start (and if you're over 19 then you can get an advanced learner loan to cover the (compared to university degrees, low) fees)...but the downside is that you're not eligible for student loans for living costs while you study them. They're offered by sixth form colleges and by some universities (UAL - camberwell and Sentral St Martins and Arts Uni Bournemouth and UCA are the main universities offering them in the south) and the deadline for applying is usually March time...you will need a portfolio but if you're not studying/working huge hours at the moment then that should be possible to put together in a couple of months.
Original post by Noara

St Martins (CSM) now part of UoL.

fashion.PNG

Quick Reply

Latest