Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm a foreigner and i don't really know which universities are considered prestigious in the UK.

I know that Oxbridge is great, but what about King's college, or Edinburgh for example ?

What are the universities people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?

I know it's childish but i want to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codelyoko)
    Hello, i'm a foreigner and i don't really know which universities are considered prestigious in the UK.

I know that Oxbridge is great, but what about King's college, or Edinburgh for example ?

Do a quick google search on 'Russel Group' universities and you should find a list of prestigious universities. However, there are many 'prestigious' universities such as; Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds, Nottingham, Edinburgh is one, Warwick etc.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, Oxford, ICL, UCL, Edinburgh, KCL, Warwick... etc.

ReputationRep:

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Durham, UCL, KCL, ICL, Warwick, Edinburgh are the ones that come to mind.

ReputationRep:
    King's is good, and Edinburgh, but I think in this country at least Oxbridge, King's, Imperial and maybe LSE and Durham have the most prestige.
    It's really not worth choosing a uni based on that though, I'm sure you've heard it before but being unhappy during your degree is going to make it really difficult to keep focused and graduate with a decent degree

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, ICL, UCL
    But also depends on what course you are planning to take.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about going to Edinburgh University maybe, but i'm not sure how prestigious it is.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about going to Edinburgh University maybe, but i'm not sure how prestigious it is.
    Its good, its a Russell group i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrella)
    Its good, its a Russell group i think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But apart from Russell grouos Baths abd St Andrews have great reputation, especially saints

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check the UK university league tables, they'll disagree a bit but looking at a few different ones will give you a good overall picture. In terms of the best ones, depends what you're looking at studying. As a general idea (rough order):

Cambridge, Oxford , Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL, Kings, LSE, Manchester, Bath, Bristol Warwick, Durham...

St Andrews isn't as good but they came up with golf (i think)

Russel group gives some idea but needs updating as there are some not that great universities in there.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, Bath, Imperial, UCL, LSE, King's (although it's far less good than many others, rides on literally being called 'King's'), Manchester (ish), Warwick

Some Russell Group unis I wouldn't call prestigious like Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, York (despite still being good).

ReputationRep:
    For which course?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/

Anything on this list is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, Bath, Imperial, UCL, LSE, King's (although it's far less good than many others, rides on literally being called 'King's', Manchester (ish), Warwick

Some Russell Group unis I wouldn't call prestigious like Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, York (despite still being good).
    I'd have to disagree on the 'not prestigious' aspect a lil bit. I definitely would rank Leeds as high as Manchester prestige wise but then again the world rankings don't reflect this. What you have to remember I suppose is that to an international student well recognised capital cities like Edinburgh and London will always garner for them a good reputation; London Met for example had a ridiculous amount of Intl students and I think that it's simply bc it had low requirements and London in the name
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Who goes "wow you study there"? *

*Except on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    LSE
    Imperial

UCL

St Andrews
    Durham

After this people probably won't be impressed enough to say 'Wow'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Who goes "wow you study there"?
    Even sounds a bit rude, though this I suppose depends on the stress pattern

My genuine wow at insitution name only is likely reserved for RADA. Possibly the Royal Academy/College of Music.

Anyone actually wowing at Leeds or Nottingham will as well wow for shopping at Sainsbury's, holidaying in Florida or owning a Volkswagen Passat.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Oxford
    Imperial
    LSE and UCL at a push

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge or Hull.

Don't waste your time with other universities.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Who goes "wow you study there"? *

*Except on TSR.
    It's very important in some other countries, especially those where people are obsessed with social status.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.