The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by codelyoko
Hello, i'm a foreigner and i don't really know which universities are considered prestigious in the UK.

I know that Oxbridge is great, but what about King's college, or Edinburgh for example ?

What are the universities people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?

I know it's childish but i want to know.

Do a quick google search on 'Russel Group' universities and you should find a list of prestigious universities. However, there are many 'prestigious' universities such as; Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds, Nottingham, Edinburgh is one, Warwick etc.
Cambridge, Oxford, ICL, UCL, Edinburgh, KCL, Warwick... etc.
Reply 3
Hello, i'm a foreigner and i don't really know which universities are considered prestigious in the UK.

I know that Oxbridge is great, but what about King's college, or Edinburgh for example ?

What are the universities people say "wow you study there" when you say it ?

I know it's childish but i want to know.

Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Durham, UCL, KCL, ICL, Warwick, Edinburgh are the ones that come to mind.
Reply 4
King's is good, and Edinburgh, but I think in this country at least Oxbridge, King's, Imperial and maybe LSE and Durham have the most prestige.
It's really not worth choosing a uni based on that though, I'm sure you've heard it before but being unhappy during your degree is going to make it really difficult to keep focused and graduate with a decent degree
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, ICL, UCL
But also depends on what course you are planning to take.
Reply 6
I was thinking about going to Edinburgh University maybe, but i'm not sure how prestigious it is.
I was thinking about going to Edinburgh University maybe, but i'm not sure how prestigious it is.

Its good, its a Russell group i think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andrella
Its good, its a Russell group i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

But apart from Russell grouos Baths abd St Andrews have great reputation, especially saints

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Check the UK university league tables, they'll disagree a bit but looking at a few different ones will give you a good overall picture. In terms of the best ones, depends what you're looking at studying. As a general idea (rough order):

Cambridge, Oxford , Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL, Kings, LSE, Manchester, Bath, Bristol Warwick, Durham...

St Andrews isn't as good but they came up with golf (i think)

Russel group gives some idea but needs updating as there are some not that great universities in there.
Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, Bath, Imperial, UCL, LSE, King's (although it's far less good than many others, rides on literally being called 'King's'), Manchester (ish), Warwick

Some Russell Group unis I wouldn't call prestigious like Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, York (despite still being good).
Reply 12
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrews, Bristol, Bath, Imperial, UCL, LSE, King's (although it's far less good than many others, rides on literally being called 'King's':wink:, Manchester (ish), Warwick

Some Russell Group unis I wouldn't call prestigious like Leeds, Lancaster, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, York (despite still being good).

I'd have to disagree on the 'not prestigious' aspect a lil bit. I definitely would rank Leeds as high as Manchester prestige wise but then again the world rankings don't reflect this. What you have to remember I suppose is that to an international student well recognised capital cities like Edinburgh and London will always garner for them a good reputation; London Met for example had a ridiculous amount of Intl students and I think that it's simply bc it had low requirements and London in the name
Reply 13
Who goes "wow you study there"? *

*Except on TSR.
(edited 7 years ago)
LSE
Imperial

UCL

St Andrews
Durham

After this people probably won't be impressed enough to say 'Wow'
Original post by jneill
Who goes "wow you study there"?

Even sounds a bit rude, though this I suppose depends on the stress pattern :biggrin:

My genuine wow at insitution name only is likely reserved for RADA. Possibly the Royal Academy/College of Music.

Anyone actually wowing at Leeds or Nottingham will as well wow for shopping at Sainsbury's, holidaying in Florida or owning a Volkswagen Passat.
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
LSE and UCL at a push
Cambridge or Hull.

Don't waste your time with other universities.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A
Reply 18
Original post by jneill
Who goes "wow you study there"? *

*Except on TSR.

It's very important in some other countries, especially those where people are obsessed with social status.
It totally depends on who you're talking to. Most people would say "wow you go there" if you go to Oxbridge unless they also go to Oxbridge or like Harvard.

Many people would say that as long as you go to a university, simply because they didn't.

Latest