Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This isn't really news, it's been the message for a little while now, but did you not get the memo, it isn't hard brexit anymore, it's clean brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Oh, do I see a softening in your stance there? Weren't you super convinced until a few months ago that Brexit was the best thing that ever happened to your country? Reality setting in?

You know, we don't mind. Because we are Europeans, members of the same community, and help our brothers out. If I were paying taxes in Germany I wouldn't mind some of my tax Euros going to poorer nations. And that's the difference between us and you lot - empathy, solidarity, good-will, you lack all of those things. And that's why it's good you're out and will suffer badly.
    Yes you do help your brothers. They didn't want to take in all those Muslims, so you get to have them all! Marvellous.

Wait till later this year and you get to take another million!

Can you say Freedom of Movement? Can you say, Common European Border?

Can you say Wilkommen another million Muslim (not rapey at all) men?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Yes. I've always had German citizenship but I hadn't renewed my German passport for years. First thing I did after the referendum results were announced was to book an appointment at the embassy!
    Aw, you're lucky. I am a dual UK-Irish citizen but I'm paranoid Ireland will one day leave the EU too. A German passport is the gold standard, and it's so pretty. :daydreaming:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, you lot will suffer so baaaaad... tax haven? More like banana republic.
    Is that like the severe suffering of the last 6 months?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Aw, you're lucky. I am a dual UK-Irish citizen but I'm paranoid Ireland will one day leave the EU too. A German passport is the gold standard, and it's so pretty. :daydreaming:
    Well you're certainly in a better position than most! Although I thought you were Norwegian!

ReputationRep:
    You want to know how it affects me? Well for starters, Brexit is going to be absolutely crippling for scientific research into UK, the career I want to go into. This country's total lack of interest in helping young people makes my future prospects depressing enough without giving my chosen career a metaphorical kick in the groin. There are other countries in the world that have genuine respect for young people and those involved in research.

I've listened to democracy in this country. This country's democratic consensus appears to be one of anti-intellectualism where somebody's uninformed opinion is just as valued as the views of the experts, who have been censored by being branded as the 'filthy elite', whilst the genuine elite are continuously being given more and more power. It's too stupid for me, I've had enough - this referendum is just the tip of the iceberg. I feel absolutely no connection to the prevailing xenophobic views in this country. You can ridicule it as much as you want, but I don't feel welcome here and my European parent who has lived here for decades certainly doesn't.

I'm not trying to overturn democracy. I'm saying that the democratic decision is utterly moronic and I don't want to have to suffer just because the British population appears to have forgotten the purpose of the organ between their ears.

Could you please give me one reason why I shouldn't leave given that my future prospects would be significantly better elsewhere?
    No. Don't let the door hit you on the ass as you walk out, mind. Close it carefully.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well you're certainly in a better position than most! Although I thought you were Norwegian!
    :gasp: You did? O to be Norwegian... I wish. :moon: Why did you think that?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    :gasp: You did? O to be Norwegian... I wish. :moon: Why did you think that?
    Because your profile says you study in Tromso and you're part of the Norwegian Society and your profile picture looks very fennoscandian!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Because your profile says you study in Tromso and you're part of the Norwegian Society and your profile picture looks very fennoscandian!
    Well I don't study in Tromsø (it's a distance learning degree). I am pretty obsessed with the Nordic countries though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't study in Tromsø (it's a distance learning degree). I am pretty obsessed with the Nordic countries though.
    Oh okay. Nordic countries are great though. I tried to learn Swedish at one point, decided to learn Japanese instead but the sentiment was there!

ReputationRep:
    You know, we don't mind. Because we are Europeans, members of the same community, and help our brothers out. If I were paying taxes in Germany I wouldn't mind some of my tax Euros going to poorer nations. And that's the difference between us and you lot - empathy, solidarity, good-will, you lack all of those things. And that's why it's good you're out and will suffer badly.
    Greece has a debt problem because fraud is a national sport, shipowners and the Church don't pay tax, there is no cadastre, and it's the country that spends the most on its army (as % of GDP).

Strange that you don't mind paying for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Greece has a debt problem because fraud is a national sport, shipowners and the Church don't pay tax, there is no cadastre, and it's the country that spends the most on its army (as % of GDP).

Strange that you don't mind paying for that
    thank god for brexit, go back to your own country you cant even vote in my gr8 nation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by remoaner)
    thank god for brexit, go back to your own country you cant even vote in my gr8 nation
    I'm already in my own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    With whom mate? Trump? the man whose every other sentence is about how China is destroying the US, how he must subsidise and protect US businesses to become more "competitive"? or about how how he wants to eradicate all international labour market competition?
    He has also repeatedly said that he loves Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I thought you were in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Good. How dare you take up our uni spaces ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    'Access to' the single market describes the position of just about every country in the world. It isn't a useful term at all.
    Oh well, as long as we're more privileged in that regard that Syria, North Korea and Northern Cyprus (the countries currently under EU embargo), it'll all be good, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I thought you were in the UK?
    Not anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    I don't know what your point is. As of now, we are a 'member of' the single market. Ergo, 'member of' accurately describes our relationship to the single market. The far vaguer 'access to' is descriptively useless.
    Access to is not descriptively useless. Membership entails 100% of ECJ laws and regulations to be applied not only to goods and services trading within the single market, but also applied to rest of the domestic economy which does not trade with the single market. Membership entails total subjection to this legal authority.

Access to, however, allows countries, such as Canada through CETA, to access and operate within the single market when trading with members of it. Regulations only apply to trade with the members, not to the entire domestic economy. We access their goods and services and comply to the standards, but they are not applied to the entire economy as membership entails. That is why we can essentially unpick burdensome regulation if necessary when we leave, but we currently fit all regulatory standards as current members, thus access to will essentially maintain the status quo.

Not quite true. The EEA has provisions to allow restriction of movement in extreme cases, and Liechtenstein invokes those provisions with the permission of the EEA Council. Believing the EU would allow us to do the same is nothing but wishful thinking and, in any case, irrelevant if we are to be revoking our membership of the single market.
    Still demonstrates how it is not an actual 'principle'. It's not wishful thinking to logically assume that the EU will want to keep barrier-free access to its most important export market in the world, especially in the face of its economic and political turmoil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    This isn't really news, it's been the message for a little while now, but did you not get the memo, it isn't hard brexit anymore, it's clean brexit

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To me it is just Brexit, plain and simple.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.