The Student Room Group

Starting uni again two years older than most people ?

Hey so I'm currently not happy with my course for various reasons, the main being that the content doesn't interest me and I feel like I'm just drifting along and will get a poor grade. As a result I'm strongly considering quitting at the end of the year but I'd love to go to another uni and start a new course as I have one in mind but I've already missed the ucas deadline and the course in question seems quite competitive so I doubt there'd still be places; as a result I'd have to apply for 2018 entry and as a result I'd be starting uni aged 20...

is this too old to go to uni ? I'm worried I won't like it if everyone else is like 18

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
Hey so I'm currently not happy with my course for various reasons, the main being that the content doesn't interest me and I feel like I'm just drifting along and will get a poor grade. As a result I'm strongly considering quitting at the end of the year but I'd love to go to another uni and start a new course as I have one in mind but I've already missed the ucas deadline and the course in question seems quite competitive so I doubt there'd still be places; as a result I'd have to apply for 2018 entry and as a result I'd be starting uni aged 20...

is this too old to go to uni ? I'm worried I won't like it if everyone else is like 18

Have you thought about contacting universities to see if you could transfer onto a course (you might have to go into the first year, rather than transfer into the second)? There is usually an expectation that you get a 2i or higher in your first year to successfully transfer, but it might be a solution in your case, and prevent you having to waste a year.
It doesn't matter, and there isn't much difference between an 18 year old and a 20 year old. A lot of people nowadays start at 19, after a gap year, and when you think about it you don't really notice this do you?
Reply 3
No 20 is not old at all. Quite a few people start at 19 because they did a gap year and at 20 you'll only be 1 year older than them which is hardly an age gap.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Have you thought about contacting universities to see if you could transfer onto a course (you might have to go into the first year, rather than transfer into the second)? There is usually an expectation that you get a 2i or higher in your first year to successfully transfer, but it might be a solution in your case, and prevent you having to waste a year.

I don't think this is an option for me as I know I am not going to get a 2:1 this year ; I'm expecting to get a 3rd
I went to Uni two years later than many of my friends. There were definitely some interesting barriers as I had just that little bit more life experience than others- I had already moved out of home and had two ‘gap’ years. I soon found where I fitted in, and was able to navigate my way in the end. Being two years older - in fact I was 21- was just one of the many many interesting challenges facing me as a fresher!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by joolsvoce73
I went to Uni two years later that everyone else. There wet definitely some interesting barriers as I had just that little bit more life experience that others- I had already moved out of home and had two ‘gap’ years. I soon found where I fitted in and was able to navigate my way in the end.

I guess it would be slightly different for me personally given I'm already at uni so i guess i would feel less anxious about the initial freshers week and stuff like I'd know what i did wrong last time
No you wont be old. There is people in my hall that are 25/26 although most people are 18/19 but you dont really notice it.
Also there is some mature students that dont live in halls that are 40/50 so youre young !
Reply 8
Original post by fefssdf

Just because you've missed the "equal consideration" deadline doesn't necessarily mean there are no places. Contact some potential universities and ask them.

(And, no, 20 is not too old anyway.)
Reply 9
You won't even notice there's an age difference. Most of my friends have turned 20 or 21 (I as well), and we don't really see any difference at all. Sure we are possibly more maturer, but honestly there's no difference whatsoever.
Reply 10
Original post by Larissa14
No you wont be old. There is people in my hall that are 25/26 although most people are 18/19 but you dont really notice it.
Also there is some mature students that dont live in halls that are 40/50 so youre young !

that is quite reassuring to know; I guess cause my particular hall is basically only for first years and its catered so quite expensive so there's only like 1 or 2 mature students out of like over 200 people
Hey there, I'm starting a new uni course in September and I'll be 23 but I really don't think that's old for u i at all so u r defintirly not too old! My last course had people over 50 on it ( nursing) I think it's better to be slightly older cause ur more mature and most likely more confident and have had more experience with life so we will probably find it much easier going to uni than younger people, e.g j won't be a wreck of nerves leaving home where as younger people r probly Nervous about leaving and h aving no friends at first. I can't wait to go again - I hated having to come back to my old home town!! Good luck 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started uni at 22 the first go around. Starting again at 25 (or 26, depending on how things go). :tongue:

So no, definitely not too old!!

I'm 24 atm and doing a HNC right now and the people I'm closest to on my course are aged 17, 17, 18, and 22.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll be 20 when I start... definitely not too old
Reply 14
I was interested in doing psychology at Manchester and it said number of applicants/ places was like 230/1500
Reply 15
ok that makes me less worried considering I already have A*AB
If 50-60-year-olds are at university or want to go to university, how do you think you are making them feel?
Reply 17
oh cool tbh i have no idea what im doing with my life its just a mess but good luck with your application
Reply 18
No one cares about age at uni. I've started in 2016 aged 20 and I have yet to be asked how old I am :biggrin:

The only thing that would affect it is if you don't connect with others because everyone just wants to get drunk and go out all the time. But there's plenty of people in their 20s starting uni.
Original post by fefssdf

I had a few friends who did this because they hated their course/ failed and were chucked out etc. You should be fine and not feel too out of place, but killing time for a year kind of sucks so see if you can find something decent to do. Also make sure that your next choice is the right one because you don't want to drop out again and then be 3/4 years behind everyone else (I had a friend who did that too and at that point it got a bit weird).

Good luck!

Also look into changing course at your university to see if there is something you would enjoy more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending