The Student Room Group

Access to Nursing and Midwifery HE Course

Calling all Mature Students!!!

Who's done this course if so, have you applied to any universities, any issues with grades or final certificates.

Any offers for Nursing/Midwifery/ODP

Let's talk!!!

Just to also let you know, I have applied for Adult Nursing for Sept 2017!!!

Scroll to see replies

I'd be very interested to hear from people who he studied the Access course in their route to Nursing. I'm due to begin this course in September, currently working in Health and Social Care; trying to get into the NHS as a Healthcare Assistant but with some knockbacks due to the sheer competetition!

Thanks for starting the thread OP! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Amy. J S
I'd be very interested to hear from people who he studied the Access course in their route to Nursing. I'm due to begin this course in September, currently working in Health and Social Care; trying to get into the NHS as a Healthcare Assistant but with some knockbacks due to the sheer competetition!

Hi, @Amy. J S, First of all, thanks for replying to me way to go you!

Well, I did the access to nursing and midwifery programme a couple of years ago and its' the best course out there for mature students (over 19s) in terms of getting into Nursing/Midwifery/ODP and for those who don't currently hold A Levels to get into university.

To get into Nursing, this is a great first step. The good thing about doing this programme is that not only do you learn biology, chemistry, and science you can develop your English, maths and research skills which is crucial when going to university especially for health courses.

It's also good to start looking at entry requirements for your chosen universities they do change, and of course we all want to get the best grades in all our essays and exams so knuckle down and do your research when writing essays ask for feedback this helps you improve, after all we want to do our very best. This will urge you to work harder. Many universities want more distinctions than merits or simple passes. If you start getting high grades in college this can only mean good things for you, it will give you the strength to progress to degree level.

Pay attention to deadlines too and use the support of tutors and lecturers, after all, they are the experts in this field.

in terms of getting into the profession as an HCA, try to join the hospital bank or look out for NHS jobs online check every day it changes a lot, if not try local care homes or agency work to get your foot in the door and get some experience. Try volunteering, even speaking to healthcare professionals might help its who you know as they say! There's always competition, but you need to give yourself the best chance and stand out from the crowd, your uniqueness and so on. You think that's hard, try applying to university it's the same thing! competition for nursing is fierce.

Also with government changes and no more bursaries, it's heart breaking:frown: our only option is funding the course ourselves or tied down to a student loan. Not to mention if you family and so on.

I hope I have given solid info if not please comment.

Which universities are you most interested in?:wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
@Amy. J S Hey, which universities are you most interested in? :smile:
I've almost finished my access course and have two offers for Midwifery at university for September 2017 :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Amy. J S

Hey, @Amy. J S Hey, how's it going with your access course? Any universities in mind yet?
Reply 6
Original post by VictoriaG89
I've almost finished my access course and have two offers for Midwifery at university for September 2017 :smile:

Hey, @VictoriaG89 Congrats on your offers for Midwifery, where did you apply to, whats your first choice?

I too have an offer at LSBU starting Sept 2017, I am super excited, what was your experience with your access course. I got mostly merits on my course and a couple of distinctions, I know I have to push myself and get ready for Degree level writing. I applied for Nursing...:smile:
I'm finding it a lot easier than I thought I would. I think I've had maybe 3 merits the rest distinctions.

I've had offers at bedfordshire and hertfordshire but bedfordshire is my first choice :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by VictoriaG89
I'm finding it a lot easier than I thought I would. I think I've had maybe 3 merits the rest distinctions.

I've had offers at bedfordshire and hertfordshire but bedfordshire is my first choice :smile:

@VictoriaG89 OHHH Well done you!!!:colondollar: That's great news, good luck in your future studies I sadly didn't get into Bedfordshire quite gutted since it was March 2017 intake last for the bursary, oh well, on to student loans it is :frown: But on the plus side I got into a university close to home so I'll be with my nearest and dearest and not too far away from home :smile: and my first choice too!!!
I have just signed up to do my access course starting tomorrow! I'm very excited !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by NurseWarde
I have just signed up to do my access course starting tomorrow! I'm very excited !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

@NurseWarde Congrats, what are you hoping to do at university Nursing or Midwifery?:smile:
Reply 11
hey, I'm finishing my access course and have offer sept 2017 for midwifery, I'm very excited and scared.
Reply 12
Original post by Aseiten
hey, I'm finishing my access course and have offer sept 2017 for midwifery, I'm very excited and scared.

Hey, @Aseiten Congrats on getting a place for Midwifery, which university will you be attending? :colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by nelfran29
Hey, @Aseiten Congrats on getting a place for Midwifery, which university will you be attending? :colondollar:

Thanks ! LSBU
Reply 14
Original post by Aseiten
Thanks ! LSBU

Wow, I'm going to LSBU as well to study Adult Nursing at their Havering Campus, welcome to the LSBU team!!!:h:

I am also going to the Offer Holder's Day for Adult and Mental Health Nursing on 28th April at the Havering Campus.

Are you gonna go to the Adult and Midwifery Offer Holder's Day on 21st April between 1pm-5pm at the Southwark Campus?

Apparently were supposed to receive an email inviting us to this event, but me being too eager I casually check for updates and came across this event which is the perfect way to prepare yourself before enrolment. :smile:

I am so excited and looking forward to speaking to current students and lecturers to find out stuff about the university to help with the transition of actually starting the course. :colondollar:

All you need to do is register and book on to the event if you want to go, so exciting. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by nelfran29
Wow, I'm going to LSBU as well to study Adult Nursing at their Havering Campus, welcome to the LSBU team!!!:h:

I am also going to the Offer Holder's Day for Adult and Mental Health Nursing on 28th April at the Havering Campus.

Are you gonna go to the Adult and Midwifery Offer Holder's Day on 21st April between 1pm-5pm at the Southwark Campus?

Apparently were supposed to receive an email inviting us to this event, but me being too eager I casually check for updates and came across this event which is the perfect way to prepare yourself before enrolment. :smile:

I am so excited and looking forward to speaking to current students and lecturers to find out stuff about the university to help with the transition of actually starting the course. :colondollar:

All you need to do is register and book on to the event if you want to go, so exciting. :smile:

As soon as I'll get invite I'll see if I can register. Will depend if I don't need to be at college that day plus I might need to bring my two toddlers with me..
Reply 16
Original post by Aseiten
As soon as I'll get invite I'll see if I can register. Will depend if I don't need to be at college that day plus I might need to bring my two toddlers with me..

Hey, @Aseiten You may or may not get an invite from them, especially as there are many students with offers from these courses, I didn't get an invite I registered and now booked on to attend, good luck :smile:

All I did was select the event and pressed register then I was able to book. Click the link below.

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/whats-on/offer-holder-nursing-midwifery-210417
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello ,
i am currently coming to the end of my access course and I have had an offer for April for adult nursing, my grades are mostly merits with a few distinctions and becoming worried I won't get in with these grades
Reply 18
Original post by kaylee123
Hello ,
i am currently coming to the end of my access course and I have had an offer for April for adult nursing, my grades are mostly merits with a few distinctions and becoming worried I won't get in with these grades

Hey @kaylee123, Do you mean April 2018? Since your coming to the end don't worry about your grades too much some universities make exceptions for students who performed well in the tests and interview and have an overall great personal statement, you will go to a great university don't worry about that, did you get an offer for south bank?
I have had a offer for Bangor university. Hopefully they won't just look at my grades thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending