The Student Room Group

Different cultural relationship

I've met a wonderful girl at work and over a period of time I've fallen in love with her, the only problem is we're from different cultural background and this is hindering moving our relationship any further on my part. I really like her but I'm worried to tell my family, I'm from an Asian Muslim family and she is from an English family.

It all started a few months back when she first joined our department, at first the wasn't much between us apart from physical attraction. Not long after, we began talking quite a lot, she told me she wasn't very happy in her current relationship. After she split with her partner we began seeing each other but it was based on the lines of 'friends with benefit' but by then we had got to have known each other and the relationship sort of developed.

Any way since we've been hooked up we have been away on several vacation on each of the occasion I've told my parents and family it was with a few of my local friends. The connection between the two of us is very strong and I feel like I can't live with or without her. I haven't told her I love her because she still works with me and I would hate it if it got weird between us.

I haven't spoken to anyone about how I feel but without the relationship moving forward it feels like I'm holding her back, it's quite obvious to everyone in the workplace we are in some sort of relationship, we book the same leave ever time but there isn't much proof. I feel like I'm in a dilemma between choosing her or sticking to the cultural norms.

My heart and mind are so full right now I can't put everything into words. I don't know what to do. I'm not necessarily asking for advice even though your thoughts would be appreciated I'm just more interested in getting my feeling of my chest.
just tell your parents lmao
Reply 2
It sounds like you two make quite a good pair, and to be honest, I would just go for it. Dont waste more time, if you really like her, tell your friends and parents and tell her of course! You never know if a relationship will or will not work out in the future, but what you can do in the present is give that strong connection you have a real shot and see where it goes from there
Original post by Anonymous
I've met a wonderful girl at work and over a period of time I've fallen in love with her, the only problem is we're from different cultural background and this is hindering moving our relationship any further on my part. I really like her but I'm worried to tell my family, I'm from an Asian Muslim family and she is from an English family.

It all started a few months back when she first joined our department, at first the wasn't much between us apart from physical attraction. Not long after, we began talking quite a lot, she told me she wasn't very happy in her current relationship. After she split with her partner we began seeing each other but it was based on the lines of 'friends with benefit' but by then we had got to have known each other and the relationship sort of developed.

Any way since we've been hooked up we have been away on several vacation on each of the occasion I've told my parents and family it was with a few of my local friends. The connection between the two of us is very strong and I feel like I can't live with or without her. I haven't told her I love her because she still works with me and I would hate it if it got weird between us.

I haven't spoken to anyone about how I feel but without the relationship moving forward it feels like I'm holding her back, it's quite obvious to everyone in the workplace we are in some sort of relationship, we book the same leave ever time but there isn't much proof. I feel like I'm in a dilemma between choosing her or sticking to the cultural norms.

My heart and mind are so full right now I can't put everything into words. I don't know what to do. I'm not necessarily asking for advice even though your thoughts would be appreciated I'm just more interested in getting my feeling of my chest.

Shouldnt the person who you need to talk to be her? You can discuss how you feel and where you see the relationship going, then plan accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending