The Student Room Group

A great dilemma - which uni to choose?

Hey guys, I am an EU applicant and I have received all my offers, which I am really happy about, but on the other hand, I find it extremely difficult to decide where to go. I would appreciate every bit of help I could get!

Unis and offers (I am doing the IB diploma, 44 points predicted)
UCL - Law with German Law - 39 points, 766 HL
Warwick - Law with German Law - 38 points, 6 in HL German
Queen Mary - English and European Law - 37 points, 666 HL
Nottingham - Law with German and German Law - 36 points, 6 in HL German
Birmingham - Law with German Law - 32 points, 666 HL

My preferences:
- high employability (would choosing Birmingham over UCL influence this?)
- interesting course (tbh UCL course seems the least interesting, especially the optional modules in Y4, Birmingham has the most interesting ones by far, Nottingham has elements of German culture in the course which I like)
- cost (I would be on a tight budget in London)
- part-time job opportunities, preferably career-related (I think London would be best for this and I worry about Warwick)
- nightlife (I think I would prefer to be in a city)
- the possibility to go to Berlin in Y3 which is spent abroad (Birmingham, Warwick, QMUL offer this)

I have not been to any of the unis, but I am planning to go visit, when I narrow this down to 2 or 3. I am really stuck, was actually hoping not to receive the UCL offer, which I received after an interview that went horribly. It has the best reputation, but at the same time I worry about the cost of living in London and I consider Y4 modules quite boring. Birmingham seems to be really interesting, it is in a city, had interesting modules and Berlin, but it seems such a waste to have worked so hard to achieve the predicted (and hopefully actual) grades.. And firming it would leave me with no insurance. Should I worry about the ranking? Help!

Thanks for any advice and I am sorry this is so long :colondollar:
Reply 1
I'd say go with whichever one you prefer (course and university itself). They're all great universities with good reputations so I wouldn't worry too much about their rankings. Besides, it's better to spend the 4 years somewhere you'll enjoy rather than just somewhere with a high ranking!

N.B. I do highly recommend visiting as many as possible though as this may change your mind on where you like

Hope this helped slightly, good luck with your choices :smile:
From what you have stated, I would choose Nottingham. But then again, this is a purely personal choice as they are all fine universities.

However, Nottingham is:
(i) Well respected, or at least it is within the UK, so wouldn't hinder your employability at all compared with the others. Maybe it is slightly less respected than UCL, but I feel that this difference would be genuinely negligible in the grand scheme of things. The same could be said for all of the universities however.
(ii) You like the sound of the course, which is obviously vitally important.
(iii) Nottingham is up north, so I would imagine is cheap in comparison to the others, especially UCL and QMUL.
(iv) Nottingham has great nightlife, I've visited plenty of times. It certainly will beat Warwick, and I would argue will be on par with Birmingham. Also, whilst London has great nightlife, I struggle to see how you could really enjoy it on a small student's budget.
(v) You get to go to Berlin.

Ultimately though, this is your choice, so visit them all before you decide as you'd be amazed how much 'the feel' of each institution will affect your choice.
I would choose UCL because like it or not, law is an elitist profession. You will get better opportunities both within the UK and elsewhere. The quality of education at UCL is top-notch and I don't think you will regret choosing it.
Original post by Rhaella
Hey guys, I am an EU applicant and I have received all my offers, which I am really happy about, but on the other hand, I find it extremely difficult to decide where to go. I would appreciate every bit of help I could get!

Unis and offers (I am doing the IB diploma, 44 points predicted)
UCL - Law with German Law - 39 points, 766 HL
Warwick - Law with German Law - 38 points, 6 in HL German
Queen Mary - English and European Law - 37 points, 666 HL
Nottingham - Law with German and German Law - 36 points, 6 in HL German
Birmingham - Law with German Law - 32 points, 666 HL

My preferences:
- high employability (would choosing Birmingham over UCL influence this?)
- interesting course (tbh UCL course seems the least interesting, especially the optional modules in Y4, Birmingham has the most interesting ones by far, Nottingham has elements of German culture in the course which I like)
- cost (I would be on a tight budget in London)
- part-time job opportunities, preferably career-related (I think London would be best for this and I worry about Warwick)
- nightlife (I think I would prefer to be in a city)
- the possibility to go to Berlin in Y3 which is spent abroad (Birmingham, Warwick, QMUL offer this)

I have not been to any of the unis, but I am planning to go visit, when I narrow this down to 2 or 3. I am really stuck, was actually hoping not to receive the UCL offer, which I received after an interview that went horribly. It has the best reputation, but at the same time I worry about the cost of living in London and I consider Y4 modules quite boring. Birmingham seems to be really interesting, it is in a city, had interesting modules and Berlin, but it seems such a waste to have worked so hard to achieve the predicted (and hopefully actual) grades.. And firming it would leave me with no insurance. Should I worry about the ranking? Help!

Thanks for any advice and I am sorry this is so long :colondollar:

My son went to Nottingham and my daughter went to UCL. I liked Nottingham but it is a bit ... well ... it is known as the gun capital of the UK - although my son has never had any problems.

London is great - loads of work - but they will probably work you fairly hard at UCL. Don't bother with QMUL.

Yes I would worry about ranking - although I see you don't have the usual suspects - O and C. UCL is a great university and has loads of international students. My daughter really loved it. Yes London is expensive ( flat in Nottingham costs about £130000, flat in London cost £350000 ) don't know about rents but you can be assured that it will be expensive there - however, my son paid a small fortune to rent a flat in Nottingham - so maybe there is not much difference.
Reply 5
This is all my opinion which has been swayed from my personal priorities and research:

I would firm UCL and insurance Nottingham (assuming you can realistically obtain your predicted score of 44!). This is because UCL has a great reputation internationally, which I think is important assuming also that your decision to study German Law comes from your desire to perhaps practice law in Germany as well. London, albeit expensive, would provide great career-related internships and job opportunities as you have mentioned, but the fact that there are doubts regarding how interested you are on the course is what makes or breaks it, honestly. If you go into a course thinking "Ahh, this isn't going to be that interesting", then you might want to think about that a wee bit more... Nottingham, on the other hand, would be insurance since their offer consists of 36 points (not the sole thing one should look at when making the insurance/firm decision, admittedly), but also the city as I have seen and heard is beautiful and the students seem to be relatively happy there when looking at some league tables. I also have a friend studying straight Law there and he seems pretty happy!

Good luck, tell us what you decide!
Reply 6
Thank you all so much for your advice!

I decided to rule out QMUL, because UCL is the obvious choice out of the two London unis.

I am currently looking at flights to the UK to go see UCL, Warwick and Birmingham (I think I wont manage Nottingham, as it is further away). Maybe seeing the actual places will help me decide :h:
Original post by Rhaella
Thank you all so much for your advice!

I decided to rule out QMUL, because UCL is the obvious choice out of the two London unis.

I am currently looking at flights to the UK to go see UCL, Warwick and Birmingham (I think I wont manage Nottingham, as it is further away). Maybe seeing the actual places will help me decide :h:

Personally - going on your references - I'd rule out Warwick [too remote] and look at Nottingham - it is not that far from Birmingham.

Going to uni in London is very different as there is no 'campus' experience -
Reading your post it seems that Birmingham ticks your boxes. Do go and visit all of them and it will quickly give you a feel for where you want to be.
Just do a pros and cons for each uni. UCL is obviously higher on the prestige list, but do your cost of living calculation and look at how affordable it will be for you. They are all good unis.
In terms of future employability and international reputation, UCL and Warwick are by far your best options.

In terms of getting a part-time job, there are lots of opportunities at Warwick to work for the university, even in your first year.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I liked Nottingham but it is a bit ... well ... it is known as the gun capital of the UK .

Says who?
UCL is the safest option there alongside Nottingham.
Original post by Muttley79

Going to uni in London is very different as there is no 'campus' experience -

And this is something that many applicants never think about - and then regret. London can be a very lonely experience, despite the supposed 'glamour'.
their all top unis and i think all of them will stand you in good stead if you want to pursue a legal career, provided you have all the other prerequisites. Birmingham is a good uni and so if you prefer the modules there, then i would select that. The other 3, with the exception of nottingham, will i think have a different ethos, which isnt always a bad thing, its just that London unis can be an accquired taste, so maybe if you wanted a more "tpical student experience", a provincial law school would be better. nights out will be cheaper and although people still want to work hard, the atmosphere is a bit more laid back. UCL in particular is very international and diverse and whilst its a top uni, it might not provide the student life you seek, if that requirement is high on your priority. London can be quite intense and expensive for students and if you want to work there in future, then its good to explore another part of the country you might not have otherwise exposed yourself to.
Original post by neal95
their all top unis.

Which school do you go to?
Original post by returnmigrant
Which school do you go to?

lad writes a paragraph of considered advice, and you'll pull him up on a slip?
Original post by cambio wechsel
lad writes a paragraph of considered advice, and you'll pull him up on a slip?

From a future lawyer this is not 'a slip'. It displays a fundamental ignorance of the correct use of English, and an attitude that suggests lack of attention to detail.
From what you've said i would go for Birmingham, it is still very respected and far cheaper than living in London!!
Reply 18
I asked this a while (a year) ago and now I am studying at UCL :smile: I am quite satisfied too. Thanks for your response though!
THIS IS A THREAD FROM JAN *2017* - please stop replying!

Latest

Trending

Trending