The Student Room Group

Female contraception while backpacking

I'm heading to Australia in May backpacking for a year, if not more, and I'm a little worried about contraception.

I'm currently on Microgynon. Had no problems, been on it for about 8 years now. The main problem is my doctor only gives out 6 months at a time, so obviously will need a top up while I'm out there. I'm led to believe from other forums that I can get Microgynon in Australia, but I will have to pay for it. When I went travelling in Thailand last year, I noticed it was the first time since I've been on it, that I was forgetting to take it some days, or not taking it at the same time everyday. Which is common when backpacking apparently. So I'm wanting to look at alternatives.

Anyone else have any recommendations what to use when backpacking? I've been looking into the implant, but I've read some posts where people say it can make them gain loads of weight, and have heavy periods. One main thing I love about the pill is that I can control my period, as I do a lot of scuba diving and surfing. But most of the posts have been a few years old, and America based. So wondering if anyone has any up to date experiences they can share from the UK.

I think it's rare for both the implant and the hormonal IUD to be a cause of weight gain - I'd expect a combined pill, like Microgynon, to see that more often. Similarly, although they can, particularly at first, lead to extended bleeding, it tends to be lighter than a normal period.

But different women have different responses to various forms of hormonal contraception, and you have three months to try a new one.

Quick Reply

Latest